I7 gaming rig, help?

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Hi i'm making an i7 rig and ive hit a bit of a financial pot-hole so i have to scale down a bit so heres my new set-up please comment and make suggestions on the new parts i've choose and if you do recommend other parts make sure they are around about the same price (btw i live in the UK so no new egg!)...

- i7 920 retail
- Gigabyte EX58-UD5 Intel X58 (already bought this one...)
- OCZ Platinum 3GB (3x1GB) DDR3 PC3-10666C7 1333MHz Triple Channel Kit
- Antec Earthwatts 500 (this is my old PSU and cant afford a new one!)
- Sapphire HD4870 1GB
- Samsung Spin Point F1 SATAII NCQ 500GB 16Mb Cache Hard Drive <9.0ms 7200rpm - OEM
- A+ Curbic case (already got this one too but its got amazing ventilation)

So what do you think? i know i should get a after-market cooler but i'm only overclocking to 3ghz for the moment and in month get a new cooler and do it to like 3.8ghz... Anyways recommend new parts if you think its better, thanks!!!

P.S i know this normally wouldn't go in the graphics section but this comp is mainly for gaming, i'm buying a monitor between 22"-26" not too sure just yet...

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
well ur sig is different than ur main post?

You say ur getting a 4870 yet in ur sig you have GTX 295...so i dunno From the looks of it it should be fine.

PSU is a little low for a monster rig that will be overclocked and have some top end.

Personally I prefer more trusted companies such as Corsair, Enemerax, (higher Antec series), pc power cooling...cool master.

I mean you have some exp stuff..it wouldn't be smart to cheapen out on the PSU which needs to reliably feed ur computer's demanded voltages.

Also make sure you tell what card ur getting, because ur sig and main information is conflicting.

Oh i would get a 1 tb HDD, i mean its about 100$ if you can find it, and there's not space to waste space unless your going raid 0.

Seagate also had firmware problems, but apperently its fixed now. Just watch what you upgrade 2

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Like i said i planned a different build but i hit a small finanicial problem which means i had to scale down from my orginal build(my sig) this one with the new HD4870 is my cheaper option and only differs slighty from my orginal build... i know i shouldnt cheapen on the PSU but any higher costs will set me back a whole month so i had too... which means no on the 1TB hdd too... when i get some more cash il upgrade my psu, add another HD4870 1gb and RAID 0 my system to 1TB, but thats about 3 months away... will the 500W be able to cope that system with only one GPU??

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
let us know:)

I just wanted to add that waiting can be a good option 2...I mean its best to buy ur computer all at once rather than adding a part here and there:p

but agian its ur choice.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
yup thats basically me in a nutshell thats why I have a system. When even I get change or cash lieing around I I take it...and I made a little holein a wooden completely sealed box and i just throw it in there:) when ever I want it, I would have to pry it open...and its a pain in the ass thing to do...so i never end up doing it:p

So my money sits there till the day its too full or I'm damn desperate:D

Ofc I keep some change here and there for outings:D

Annisman

Distinguished
May 5, 2007
come one people, if we're talking about best power supplys out there, you gotta mention the Zalman line of PS. Arguably the quietest, and best energy efficent out there, although a little pricey.