How Long will the typical life span of an SSD be Compared to a Hard Drive ?

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
And from what I have read is that NAND FLASH in SSD's deteriorate over time but compared to a hard drive would the SSD Last Longer so I am looking for information about this topic it’s not riley the speed I want but assurance that my investment will last between 5 to 7 years I hope that someone will know the answer to my question thanks.

Solution
My understanding (I saw it in here somewhere) that SSD will outlast an HDD, due to lack of mechanical/moving parts. I found this quote on a manufacter website: "100+ Year Life Expectancy (MTBF)"

Now, SSD do deteriorate due to multiple WRITES. But once the OS and Programs are installed, reads in really all the drive will do (but it's not that simple).

So, the trend right now, is to get a SSD just larger enough for the OS and Programs you want/need, and keep all your data/media/storage/backups on a seperate large HDD.

My OS SSD only uses 21.4GB of the 80GB available, but I have 1TB for data/media (My Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads) and the pagefile, and a 1TB for backups. See my signature below.
My understanding (I saw it in here somewhere) that SSD will outlast an HDD, due to lack of mechanical/moving parts. I found this quote on a manufacter website: "100+ Year Life Expectancy (MTBF)"

Now, SSD do deteriorate due to multiple WRITES. But once the OS and Programs are installed, reads in really all the drive will do (but it's not that simple).

So, the trend right now, is to get a SSD just larger enough for the OS and Programs you want/need, and keep all your data/media/storage/backups on a seperate large HDD.

My OS SSD only uses 21.4GB of the 80GB available, but I have 1TB for data/media (My Documents, Music, Pictures, Videos, Downloads) and the pagefile, and a 1TB for backups. See my signature below.

Solution

michael775

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
thanks for the info

Well my signatyre is
CPU Q9650 - MOBO P5q Pro Turbo - Hyper X 1066 CL-5-5-5-15 - Video MSI R4850 2D1GOC - U3S6 - WD 640 SATA III - Win764 bit Pro GOOD FOR Moderate gaming but mostly VIDEO EDITING

TRENDING THREADS