Sign in with
Your question

PC keeps Freezing and/or rebooting by itself!

Last response: in Components
March 27, 2009 9:19:52 PM

Hey all,
I'm having a problem on one of my office PC's, it runs only 1 program... the only software change to it has been Microsoft XP Updates.

All of a sudden last week it started to freeze... i'd have to hit the restart button to get it back to normal. Today it's just rebooting and rebooting... i'll have windows up and the program running just fine them BAM it reboots. Sometimes in 5 minutes sometimes 30 min.

I replaced the Power Supply with an even higher power one to see if that was the cause, but no. It's still rebooting.

Thoughts?

Thanks all!

More about : freezing rebooting

March 27, 2009 11:03:12 PM

Listing all components in your system would be helpful. Did you check the temperature of the CPU, system and GPU?
March 27, 2009 11:36:30 PM

Mobo: MSI pm8pm
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 3gig
HDD: WD 80gig
Windows Xp Sp3 all updates

CPU Temp: 59 c
System Temp: 33 c

BIOS CPU Software Shutdown Temp: 85 c

Is there anything I should find out?
Thanks!
Related resources
March 27, 2009 11:57:26 PM

Is the idle CPU temp 59°C? If so, that's quite high.

Anything obvious in Event Viewer?
March 28, 2009 12:00:27 AM

i'm not sure... i got this temp from the BIOS screen
March 28, 2009 3:06:06 AM

It's idle temp and it should be about 15-20°C lower. Check your CPU fan to make sure it's working properly.
March 28, 2009 3:14:23 AM

bios temps aren't very reliable. You may want to check out something like speedfan.

I don't think this is your problem, but SP3 has had a bad track record. It's probably caused more problems than it's fixed. You may want to roll back your system before the update and just run SP2.
March 28, 2009 4:54:19 AM

well a new development... it died. Can't turn it on. When i hit the power button the CPU fan just jiggles for 1 second... and thats it.

Is the mobo bad? ahhhhhh not my day
March 28, 2009 5:03:53 AM

maybe you mobo is shorting?
March 28, 2009 5:05:20 AM

how would I go about fixing that? if possible. I try to keep it clean from dust but who knows. eeeeeeeerrrrrrrr
March 28, 2009 5:17:15 AM

Start from scratch...boot with only:

1 stick of RAM
video card
Hard drive

If this doesn't work, remove the mobo from the case (place on cardboard next to case) and try it again.
March 28, 2009 3:32:49 PM

i removed everything... even the ram.
I was just trying to boot with the Mobo and CPU and CPU Fan.. thats it. When I hit the power button the fan just slightly moved, and thats it.

Thoughts?
March 28, 2009 3:45:05 PM

Well the computer isnt even getting into post apparently. Your motherboard Is probably shot.
March 28, 2009 4:07:40 PM

If you still have the older PSU, you could try it to make 100% sure that the issue is with the motherboard or the CPU. I agree with vegettonox, but because of the idle CPU temps, I wouldn't presume that the CPU is necessarily good.
March 28, 2009 4:25:34 PM

Yes I changed out the PSU to the other one... it wont even move the fan.
March 28, 2009 4:41:38 PM

The cpu will remain at an idle temp especially if the system isnt processing any information. Even if the computer is idle when running windows the processor is still burning through a lot of information. A computer sitting at boot at pause will probably only produce enough heat to passively cool. and GhislainG the p4 series was normally very hot. that 60 degree wasn't a rare temp to see.
March 28, 2009 4:44:31 PM

Ohh this is incredibly rare, but short out jumper 5 or the cmos reset jumper and after about 30 seconds set it back and try to boot it up. Remember to unplug your computer before you do this.
March 28, 2009 4:59:08 PM

vegettonox said:
The cpu will remain at an idle temp especially if the system isnt processing any information. Even if the computer is idle when running windows the processor is still burning through a lot of information. A computer sitting at boot at pause will probably only produce enough heat to passively cool. and GhislainG the p4 series was normally very hot. that 60 degree wasn't a rare temp to see.

I guess it depends on the P4. I have two (one 2.8 one 3.2) and Hardware Monitor shows less than 40°C after being powered on for at least 5 minutes. They never reach 40°C, but it's 21°C in my office.
March 28, 2009 9:19:56 PM

vegettonox said:
Ohh this is incredibly rare, but short out jumper 5 or the cmos reset jumper and after about 30 seconds set it back and try to boot it up. Remember to unplug your computer before you do this.

nope... did nothing. Fan still jerks a little bit.

I belive I am screwed out of this mobo aint i?

!