Can a CPU be damaged and still work?

mamw93

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
IT doesn't get slower over time. The programs just become more intense over time which puts more load on the CPU which will cause it to run slower. But CPU are always running at the same speed.

Winly

Distinguished
the CPU doesnt get slow, the load and programs make it appear slow, but like other user stated the CPU runs at the same speed. viruses and bad organization in the operating system can make things really slow.

verndewd

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2009
depends on the nature of the damage and the area damaged.

Yeah one transistor wont likely make a difference,

But your perceptions do:
New computer: "Wow. This thing is fast!"
First month: "This thing is pretty fast."
Second month: "This thing is OK."
Third month: "This thing is pretty slow. It's time to upgrade."

And all at the same time, you are asking the machine to do more and more.

Original question - I suppose that something inside could fail and you would never notice.

computabug

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I think your cpu may physically change a bit over time through turning on and off (expand and contracting), but most people just experience software rot (which is extremely easy to fix) and degrading of PSU output in terms of the computer getting enough power or clean power (which can be replaced). Although I didn't experience this with my last PSU, I was jst surfing the web when it suddenly died on me. Most of the time, your pc will be outdated before you experience any hardware degrading in like 20 years, or maybe 3 years if you're OCing :)

Oh yea, if you have a blown transistor and get errors during stress tests, if won't make a difference in real applications, but I'm pretty sure there's a way to disable that core... somehow...