Sign in with
Your question

System freezes in game since new monitor (1920 x 1200)

Tags:
  • Nvidia
  • Games
  • Monitors
  • CPUs
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 25, 2009 6:31:50 PM

Motherboard: ASUS P5N-T Deluxe
CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Quad CPU Q6600 @ 2.40GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
RAM: 2046MB
Graphics: 2x Geforce 8800 GTX 768mb
Monitor: Samsung 2433BW

Hi, I have just upgraded to a new monitor, and when I'm in game after a period of time my system freezes. I've tried updating and changing drivers but I need help in sorting it.

Old monitor was 19" running @ 1280 x 1024

New monitor 24" running @ 1920 x 1200

It appears to run fine in desktop and in game (COD4) getting solid fps (250, same as on old resolution + monitor). But after a given amount of time less then 1 hour it freezes and forces a reboot.

I've monitored the temp of the gfx cards and they aren't running at any unusual temperatures.

I assume that the system I've got should be able to cope with the resolution its getting.

I formatted and this also didn't help.

If I switch back to the old monitor the problem goes, also trying smaller resolutions on the new monitor still causes the crash.

Any help or ideas would be much appreciated, thanks.

More about : system freezes game monitor 1920 1200

January 25, 2009 7:14:18 PM

What power supply are you using. The overclock on the processor takes alot of power. So does the 2 cards in sli. It could just be that with your old monitor the system wasn't being pushed hard enough or rather the power supply wasn't being pushed hard enough to cause system instability. Only thing i can see that would cause this problem if the computer was working perfectly before your new monitor. Switching to a lower resolution should have caused the problems to stop if this indeed was the case. The computer doesn't really see a new monitor all it sees is a device that supports a higher resolution. Did you open the case and reassemble the computer. Make sure the 6 pin connectors are connected to each card. I think it was 6 pin for your cards. Switching to a higher resolution stresses pretty much every part of the computer except for maybe the sound card lol. Anyone of them could have been slightly defective and worked fine till you switched to a higher more demanding resolution. Didn't mean to alarm you but thats kind of the worst case scenario. Some ideas for isolating the problem would be to disable sli. Your frame rates would be cut in half but 250/2 is still 125 perfectly playable. If the problems stops then you know the graphics card is drawing too much power from the power supply or one of your cards is bad. You mentioned driver issues. You said that you formatted windows so unless you downloaded a corrupted install drivers should be fine.
m
l
a b à CPUs
January 26, 2009 1:08:17 AM

My 9800GX2 had simmilar issues at that res with all 180 series drivers. Using 181.20 WHQL cleared that up though (except when using hardware accelearation with flash player in fullscreen...still figuring that one out...).
m
l
Related resources
January 26, 2009 6:03:20 PM

I'll try that one now. I did downlaod quite an old driver and it did work... I could play the game fine, but it has since started getting directX errors :S

Seem to get this problem with older drivers and more recent ones I get the freezing issue.

I'll keep you informed.
m
l
February 3, 2009 7:13:15 PM

Same problem still, I tried that driver and I thort it was fixed, 2 days later it happened again,
to refresh, system freezes in game after random amount of time since I got a new monitor.

I searched google and found a post on other forum with exactly the same problem it seems, so I'm not the only one... although they had no resolve.
http://www.modacity.net/forums/showthread.php?s=9c49929...

Any other ideas?
m
l
February 3, 2009 7:17:05 PM

tested ram with memtest with no errors, hdd tested with its tools which was fine also, gfx cards temps are normal when running furmark.
m
l
February 4, 2009 3:03:29 PM

any help guys?
m
l
February 4, 2009 3:13:43 PM

may be the card is overhearing
m
l
February 6, 2009 3:03:35 PM

Now it does it on my old screen aswell, gathering this opens up the possibillities aswell.
m
l
!