use dish networks for FTA on Telstar5?

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 30, 2004 12:47:29 AM

I recently learned that Dish Networks and Telstar 5 (Intelsat Americas 5)
both provide Korean TV on ku band. I'd like to get it for my Korean wife in
our new home where the sellers already have Dish installed and working.

Can I install a new dish motor onto the existing Dish Networks dish to point
to both satellites? Will this work whether I have a Dish Networks receiver
or a FTA receiver?

Or do I have to install one of those 76cm offset ku band dishes along side
the Dish Networks dish and purchase two different receivers and remotes?
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 7:41:53 PM

Snoop Drew wrote:

> I recently learned that Dish Networks and Telstar 5 (Intelsat Americas 5)
> both provide Korean TV on ku band. I'd like to get it for my Korean wife in
> our new home where the sellers already have Dish installed and working.
>
> Can I install a new dish motor onto the existing Dish Networks dish to point
> to both satellites? Will this work whether I have a Dish Networks receiver
> or a FTA receiver?
>
> Or do I have to install one of those 76cm offset ku band dishes along side
> the Dish Networks dish and purchase two different receivers and remotes?

I believe you have to have the latter.
DISH will not unscramble anything on T-5 as the signal is too weak.
Anonymous
May 30, 2004 8:22:46 PM

I had to pay an extra $100 bucks for the "International dish" (points
at a different satellite) to get Arabic. And $23-30/my for the
channels (2 package choices.)

I am pretty sure, but not certain that Korean works the same way.
May 30, 2004 8:42:02 PM

Herb Martin wrote:

> I had to pay an extra $100 bucks for the "International dish" (points
> at a different satellite) to get Arabic. And $23-30/my for the
> channels (2 package choices.)
>
> I am pretty sure, but not certain that Korean works the same way.

The second dish is aimed at 61.5, another DISH NET satellite, and there
are several asian packages including the "Korean package" that gets 4
channels.

NOT free to air though.
Even the VERY limited programing that's beamed from T5 is scrambled.
Anonymous
June 26, 2004 7:19:15 PM

Won't work. Two different frequency ranges involved. Install a dedicated MPEG2
FTA system for T5 and whatever for your Dish Network.
Unless things have changed, the Dish Network antenna had to receive the ethnic
programing from Echostar 3 in addition to the normal
programing at 110W and 119W..

!