Seagate Momentus XT

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I was looking around for the best value for SSDs and i stumbled onto the new seagate Momentus XT. I saw the video the WD ssd runs at 250MBs read and the momentus was only behind by about a few seconds. I was wondering it seems like a better deal to get this 500GB drive that clearly runs faster than 170MBs read (Intel 40 GB X25-V) but slower than 250MBs. I was wondering since its new and all would it be worth the risk because i would much rather get 500GB and around 200MBs read rather than 40GB and 170MBs. The intel 40GB and this drive are the same price, so its better space/performance for the same price. So question is simply buy this or buy the 40GB intel SSD?

http://www.seagate.com/www/en-us/products/laptops/laptop-hdd/?intcmp=bac-en-us-home-h_hero4-momentusxt#tTabContentOverview

ItsRobert

Distinguished
Jun 22, 2010
The best choice it would be to buy a Momentus XT 250GB drive and the Intel X25-V 40GB, and connect them in RAID 0.
Install the OS in the SSD, your programs games etc in the HDD. :)

thiisonecrazy

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009

if you were to do that how would you "decide" which drive to install your programs on?

doesnt raid 0 make them into 1 drive?

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
That statment makes no sense the RAID 0 would make it so i only get 80GB thats assuming it would even work.. Plus as i said it was proved that the momentus cleary gets better read and write then the 40GB intel drive.. Access time still kinda sucks but o well. I'm just getting the intel 80GB since i bought 2 1tb drives already. I wanted to ge the 80 intel SSD with 2 momentus in raid 0 The performance would of been great but i'm not spending anymore money on hard drives least of all machanical ones..

tom thumb

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2010
he best choice it would be to buy a Momentus XT 250GB drive and the Intel X25-V 40GB, and connect them in RAID 0.
Install the OS in the SSD, your programs games etc in the HDD.

This is a terrible idea. Raid will cut the the usable size of the Momentus to 40Gb to match the SSD. You might as well just get another 40gig Intel or just a 80gig in place of everything.

I was looking around for the best value for SSDs and i stumbled onto the new seagate Momentus XT. I saw the video the WD ssd runs at 250MBs read and the momentus was only behind by about a few seconds. I was wondering it seems like a better deal to get this 500GB drive that clearly runs faster than 170MBs read (Intel 40 GB X25-V) but slower than 250MBs. I was wondering since its new and all would it be worth the risk because i would much rather get 500GB and around 200MBs read rather than 40GB and 170MBs. The intel 40GB and this drive are the same price, so its better space/performance for the same price. So question is simply buy this or buy the 40GB intel SSD?

The Momentus XT isn't a SSD. It's an HDD with 4gb of flash cells included. The Momentus will store your most frequently used/accessed files on the flash cells. Everything else will run at typical hard drive speeds (ie ~100 read 100 write).

If you *need* say, 200gb of usable storage and you want all of it to run SSD-fast then the Momentus is not for you - be prepared to pay more for an actual SSD.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010
I never said the momentus XT was an SSD. I said i was looking for the best deal for SSDs the momentus is great for a gamer it gives you the great speeds of an SSD for frequently loaded programs like loading the same game over and over as alot of gamers do. I like it because its a better option for a gamer than a full SSD since it gives you much more space plus great performance where they need it. Rather than constant great read and write all the time for basicly no space and a huge cost. I would of gotten 2 momentus drives but i found 2 1TB drives for only 60$ each so i figured more space is better.

justy3030

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2010
I have this hard drive and it is sweet since the new firmware. You can disable the spindown on it. I have the 500gb one and from power button on to outlook express opened is 22 seconds. World of warcraft cata loads in 4 seconds. I have it installed in a desktop for C drive. Win7 64 bit. Fastest drive I've owned. My second hard drive is my old 10,000 rpm used just for storage. I noticed people who run this drive in raid have alot of failures. I read about it on seagate and it says not designed for raid. So too me there is a conflict there and you are asking for trouble doing it. Better off running it by it's self.

You will need a SSD or rail kit to fit the 2.5 drive into a 3.5 slot. This drive uses sata 3.0 and sata psu. No mods needed for the psu. The place where the 12 volt pins are. Are dead spots, Connected to nothing inside the drive. This drive runs 5 volts max. Had my drive for 6 months now. No troubles and happy with it.

I had a samsung 128gb SSD before this seagate hybrid and see pretty close to same speeds. Sometimes may take a bit longer but not always. SSD kinda turned me off. When I bought the SSD, it was at 86% and before it died in 3 months was down to 9%. Apparently I'm hard on hard drives. So I went with the hybrid instead.

mystery42

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2010

I went with a 40GB intel to put the OS on. Put two seagate 1TB drives in RAID 0 they get a sustained read of 200MB/s. Useing HD tune and thats with the cache turned off. I'm planning on getting 2 more of them i'd imagine haveing 4 of them in RAID 0 will bring it closer to 400MB/s. Plus you can get them for around 45$ now so its a steal considering the great performance.

hzxu

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2011
Is the 250GB one better in terms of noise, power consumption and speed, compared to the other two(320GB and 500GB) as it has only one platter whereas the others have two?