Sign in with
Your question

Is my PCIe x16 Slot dead??

Last response: in Motherboards
May 14, 2009 2:35:41 PM

Hey There's
Alright, I think my mobo PCIe slot is dead, Ill give you the run down, please feel free to add any idea's or things I missed

I have a Dell that was transferred to a Larger ATX case to accommodate a Evga Nvidia 9800GTX+. It originally had a ATI X1300. Also upgraded to a 500W PSU for the 9800GTX+. I wouldnt call myself a computer whiz, but I have worked with electronics long enough to know how to carefully remove and install parts. I Installed the New 9800GTX+, installed updated drivers, and it works great for 2 days, then I go to turn it on one day, and I only get a black screen. I can hear the hard drive working at startup and I can hear the Windows Vista Startup chime, but only see a black screen. I open her up to check connections, seems to be seated correctly and tight.

1st thing I think is that somehow the mobo Integrated graphics card got switched on and it disabled the 9800GTX+. Swapped monitor cable over to the Integrated port, and I get the dell logo on the monitor, I go into BIOS and the video setup is set to "auto" (dell only has 2 options: "Auto" and "Onboard/Card", oddly dells explanation of the 2 settings makes them sound like they both are the same). Switched settings and rebooted several times, no change.

I went back into BIOS to look at the what the computer says is connected to the PCI slots, and it shows nothing, all slots empty. Thought I would reboot to recheck these results, and this time it detects a VGA (9800GTX+), I hook the video cable to the 9800GTX+ back up, and there is no change, still only a black screen, I go back to the integrated graphics, go back into BIOS, and now it says that again the PCIe slot is empty. I thought next I would update the BIOS, which I did, and retested everything using the same method from above, still no change, just a black screen.

next Im thinking the 6 pin power supply wires may be to blame, however the 9800GTX+'s fan is on and working normally, but I go ahead and take the molex adapter that came with the 9800GTX+ and give that a try, Still no change in the results, just a black screen.

Lastly I take the old ATI x1300 card and plug this into the PCIe slot and still thats all I get is a black screen. Checked BIOS and its says still that the PCIe slot is empty.

I have examined the PCIe slot and it looks fine. No broken connections/solder, no corrosion, no black or pitted areas, same with both graphics cards, all clean. When the card was working, system temps were only at 40c max (both CPU and GPU) so I dont think heat could be an issue. This is where I am now. :pt1cable:  Im thinking new motherboard, thoughts? thanks!

More about : pcie x16 slot dead

a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2009 2:43:14 PM

Try resetting the CMOS jumper and default the BIOS. Unplug the system, remove the battery and reset the jumper.
May 14, 2009 3:11:25 PM

Thanks for the reply
do you know if selecting the default BIOS would return the BIOS to its original factory setting? I only ask because when I originally got the Dell (Brand New) with the factory BIOS version, It wont boot, Thats right, Dell sent me a computer that would not boot right out of the box (Quality control? what happened?). I had to update to their 1.1.11 version before it would boot. It was a nightmare to get it to a workable point. Unless its a necessary step to execute this possible solution, I'd rather skip that and just try the Jumper and Battery thing. Thoughts? thanks!
Related resources
May 14, 2009 3:36:32 PM

hmm, I just educated myself on the purpose of the CMOS Jumper, please excuse the nonsense at the end of my last post! Im not sure if I want to try this. As stated above, Ill have a non functional computer courtesy of Dell. I spent many hours on the phone with Dell support just to get it to boot. Is there any variation of this solution that would allow me to keep the current BIOS? Thanks again!
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2009 7:21:50 PM

Unplug the system and take the battery out for 20-30 minutes.

If the onboard graphics can get you to 'Safe Mode' perhaps try reinstalling the last driver that worked properly for the 9800GTX there.
a b V Motherboard
May 14, 2009 8:22:01 PM

Did you try both DVI ports of the 9800 GTX+? I've seen this happen with my 8800 GTS 512, power on, chime but black screen. Then, I just switch the cable to the othr DVI port and PRESTO! Turned out to be loose connection. Since you changed cases, it's possible that there is pressure enough at the mount where you screw it into the case and the pressure causes the card to "tilt" slightly in the slot and lose the connection. At least this is what happened to me and nothing was ever wrong with the card.

If there was someting wrong with the motherboard, you'd get th beeps telling you of hardware problems.
May 15, 2009 12:35:41 AM

Badge: Im sure i could use the onboard to get into safe mode, however I have only installed (1) driver for the 9800GTX+ since I got it (Its the most recent one from nVidia for the 9 series, I think it was like version 185.5). Do you think it would still be a good idea to try that since i have had only (1) driver? should I just try reinstalling the same driver?

Hundred: that is a good point, that would seem like a logical thing to check the #2 output, however i have not yet (oops), Ill have to take a look at that. I dont think this will do anything since the x1300 didnt work either when i swapped it back in, but who knows definitely worth a shot!

I did take the 9800GTX+ over to my moms house today to check it for functionality on her computer, and it works just fine, So im still leaning towards this motherboard PCIe socket being bad.

Thanks for both of your thoughts, much appreciated!
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2009 2:44:36 AM

If you have a spare (different) monitor, try it. Also, if your monitor has a VGA plug in, use a DVI/VGA adapter and plug the video card into the Dsub/VGA side of the monitor.

If you can get into safe mode with the onboard, try adjusting the resolution to 800x600 and see if that makes any difference.
a b V Motherboard
May 15, 2009 2:50:17 AM

It's possible the DVI side of the monitor is not functioning. Use a DVI/VGA adapter and plug the video card into the VGA side of the monitor. Use the VGA plug on the monitor. Your 9800GTX should have a dvi/vga adapter included.
!