Sata hard disk not detected

G

Hello,
I Am nirav From Ahmedabad I have pblm in my external sata harddisk when i pluged in sound come but no drive appear in my computer also in disk managment displaying but i am confused plz help me . y can call me direct if u have in solutio.

Thanks
Nirav Patel(**********)

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
You may be having a VERY common problem. MANY people do not know that, to begin to use a new empty hard drive, you must first prepare it by doing two steps. These are to Create a Partition on it, and then to Format that Partition. Until you do that, Windows cannot use the HDD even though it is detected properly in BIOS as good hardware. The same is true for a HDD mounted in an external case.

Look at this old thread and my post (fairly early in it) dated 05-25-2009.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/244697-32-sata-drive-detected-bios-windows-disk-management

Don't worry about the first comment on "looking in the wrong place". Just follow the instructions for how to get into Disk Management and find the new HDD in the LOWER RIGHT pane of that display. There you can Create a Primary Partition and Format it. Some more recent Windows versions will pop up a helpful Wizard when you choose to Create a Partition, and it combines BOTH steps into one operation for you.