Will my current dedicated power supply run a GTX 295?

laserslasher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Currently I have a Visiontek Dedicated Power Supply, 450W with ~38 Amp Amps over 2 +12V rails.
Edit: SORRY! i meant to say i also am running a Antec 650W PSU as my MAIN psu, this dedicated PSU is ONLY for my graphics card. A bit of a waste, but as i explain later on, it's due to the 8-pin connector.

The closest link i can find to the Antec 650W, which is outdated and is not even sold online from best buy (where i got it), nor on newegg (it's replaced by this; in fact the packaging and name "trio" sound familiar, i think mine is just that without the 8-pin.)

I'm running an EVGA GTX 280 on it right now, but I'm thinking of upgrading to a EVGA GTX 295 (through the step-up program); the 280 says it requires 500W w/ 40 amp amps, and the 295 says it requires 550W w/ 46 amp amps, but right now my 280 is running fine (overclocked a bit even, and running intensive games such as Fallout 3 on maxed settings (8x and 16 sample AA)).

I'm wondering if it will power my GTX 295 sufficiently, or if i should look for a whole new main PSU together.

The reason i had to get a dedicated power supply for my graphics card was because i didn't have any 6+2 pin connectors on my current Antec 650W power supply, since it's fairly old (~1 year?), and when i tried to use the 2-6 pin to 1-8 pin adapter it didn't work (but then again, it said it might not, so i don't blame them).

Also, if someone can inform me, how do the Amp Amps work and what does it mean if it's split over X rails (e.g. +12V1 has 20 Amp amps and +12V2 has 20 Amp amps for the Visiontek Dedicated PSU, how does that factor into the total Amps available? Are the multiple rails for like, two graphics cards or something, 20 Amp amps each? I dunno, but thanks in advanced for explaining!)

BTW please explain a link before posting, instead of just "here's a good site <link> bye." Thanks!

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
laserslasher as far as I can tell the 295 needs at least a little over 45 amps and the 450 would not be enough spu to run the 295 and every thing else in your pc.I would go with at least a 700 or even 750 good psu.

It shouldn't be a problem.
The most power the card can use according to it's rating is 289 watts or just under 24 amps.
The 46 amp power reccomendation is for the entire system.
What's up with Amp Amps ?, once is enough.

laserslasher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
haha in newegg, under evga cards, the power requirement lists XX Amp Amps. so i just copied that style, i was wondering about that too haha, cause i figured one A would be enough XD

laserslasher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
oh, and thanks for your replies!

btw, when it says 20A for +12V1 and 20A for +12V2 (20A each +12 rail), if i only have one rail plugged in, does that mean it supports up to the full 38-40A in that one rail?

I don't know how the Visiontek is setup, if there is an active OCP circuit on each of the rails and it is set to it's rating you will only be able get 20 amps max out of the rail. If there is no OCP, then all or most of the power would be able to be drawn thru 1 of the rails.
That shouldn't be a worry either, your card will draw some of it's power thru the PCIE slot, so depending on how it's wired you could be running it off of a total of 3 rails ( PCIE slot, and rail 1 and 2 of the Visiontek )

laserslasher

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Ah okay last question, since the dedicated Visiontek PSU is modular, how do i determine which rails are the +12V? Like right now all i have going from it are a 8-pin and 6-pin into my graphics card, do each of those lines become a rail?

on the manual (here) it says that it has Over Current Protection: 110%-150% (i'm assuming that's what OCP stands for?) so, does that mean it'll only go 110-150% over 20A on a rail?

TRENDING THREADS