krazyskillz

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008

Hi there, had a look round this site and the net in general, can't find much relevant stuff about this problem. The dump above shows my memory with very relaxed timings, apart from that, everything has OCed fine. Vcore is at 1.375v, (and prime95 stable for <12 hours) and temps max at 63c.

I am running vista x64, although when I go in to sleep mode, and then try and wake up (usually a keystroke does it) The system wakes, fans run, but I get a blank screen and speakers. When I first built the system (4 months ago) I had no such problems and windows would go straight back to desktop in about 10 seconds. Now, I am experiencing a number of different issues. Sometimes, the PC will auto-restart and then I will get a BIOS post message, saying that Overclocing has failed and I must either enter setup or refer to the default values. I enter setup, all my values (multiplier, vcore, timings,) are correct. If it doesnt restart, a press of the reset button reboots the PC and I get the same messgae or, a press of the reset button restarts the PC, but I then get a 'resuming windows' screen, followed (about 30secs later) by my desktop again.

I initially thought it may be a RAM problem, so I reseated my modules and slackened the timing, although this made no difference (and running the modules at 4-5-5-15 was prime95 stable, blend testing for 6 hours)

If anyone has any experience with this problem, thanks very much!

Krazy

krazyskillz

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Quick update, tried those tutorials and thanks very much, at the moment, if left turned off for more than about half an hour, the system will refuse to boot on first attempt, then on second (after reset) will come up with the same "overclocking failed" screen.

The only way to get past this screen is to reset to default values (although I still get the same problems) or to slacken my ram timings/ increase ram voltage) which works as a temporary solution. I can then restart and put them back to the tighter settings although as you can imagine, this is not a great situation.

I'm considering RMA'ing my mobo, as it seems that this problem only affects asus mobos. thanks for all of the replies

krazyskillz

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Update again, several forums seem to be thinking that it is fact PSU warmup time. This would explain why the system will boot after about 5 minutes of getting the overclocking failed message.

I am using a hiper 530w M series PSU, which should provide ample power (and unless capacitor ageing has set in after just 3 months. Any ideas? I would just like to be sure before I shell out more money for a new PSU.

There is no way to tell whether the system becomes unstable while sleeping or upon waking, but the PSU would certainly be one point to test, as I mentioned earlier.

Hiper M series is considered decent, but any PSU can fail. They are complicated devices. The quality of power your PSU is providing, when only a trickle, could cause the system memory to become corrupted.
I would guess that your MB waits for a "power ready" signal from the PSU before waking. If this signal was sent too early, then I could see that creating a problem.
Of the two possibilities, I still favor the first.

Or, it could be something else entirely like the MB :)

krazyskillz

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
Thanks very much, do you think it could be due to a 'warmup time' problem? 530w should be ample for this system and anyway, if i boot with stock settings then restart and OC, it works fine. Very confused... will test PSU on monday...

I explained that, but I guess I wasn't quite clear enough, sorry. I'm going to launch into an explanation here, but I need to make clear that I'm not an electrical engineer and I might have something wrong. Don't think I do though ;)

When you boot a PC, the very first thing that happens is the PSU does a warm-up. This is so that the quality of the power supplied to the motherboard is stable before the motherboard tries to draw it. Once the PSU is "warmed up" it sends a signal to the motherboard saying it is ready.

The same thing probably happens when the system is in sleep mode, but there would be one important difference. While your system is asleep, it still needs to draw some power to maintain it's "sleep state." Sleep is different from your computer being off, as the system is maintaining all the information about the current session in memory. It doesn't have to load anything when it wakes because it's all still there, loaded up and waiting.

So, when it wakes your system needs more power, faster than when you boot cold. Remember when you boot up normally some time passes as your BIOS runs it's checks... this is a much lower draw on the power.

To maintain that sleep state, your motherboard needs a small amount of power. If that power was of poor quality, then the system would crash in it's sleep.

Also, consider this - MOST of your PSU is off while providing that sleep mode power. As the unit comes back on line, what might happen to that smaller supply? Have you ever seen lights flicker in a house when you started some appliance?

I hope you see from all this that the PSU is a complicated device, and there are many things that can go wrong with it.

I have no idea if this is what is wrong with your system... as I said sleep state is a huge problem for many. I'm just supporting one theory and providing a little knowledge that's generally useful.