Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Partition
  • Boot
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2010 6:38:37 AM

Hi,
I just have bought a new laptop (320gb hrdisk, 2gb ram) and planning to use 3 OS (win 7-main os, winxp-old games and compability with programs, ubuntu 10.04), after doing some research and considering a lot of thing, i arrive at this scheme:
1. C: System Primary active ----win7 60gb
fastest side,
2. D: primary------win xp 40gb
3. extended
E:logical Data 80gb
F:logical Media (music,video,etc) 80gb
G:logical backup/future linux distro
H:logical Ubuntu 40gb
I: logical swap partition
4. J: primary /boot (small size)
I'll use 3rd party,Paragon hdisk manager 2010 pro (boot manager included), so each os will not affect each other(each will behaves as standalone os)
the problem is,
-do i need special partition for windows paging files? if needed and considering that 3 OS will use considerably amount of disk space, would it possible to use same paging partition for win 7 and xp? or same paging partition for that 3 OS? (paging partition will be located between number 2 and 3 to minimalizing disk head movement-->hard disk first 50%)
-if I boot with paragon recovery disk and create primary partition in one unpartitioned disk then will windows 7 create system reserved partition? I don't want win7 use 2 primary partition
-the scheme itself, is it good enough? any suggestion?

many thanks in advance

More about : triple boot partition pagefile

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
June 26, 2010 5:36:42 PM

There should be no problem using the same pagefile from XP and Windows 7. Just make sure you specify the same partition (which could potentially use different drive letters under each OS) and set the pagefile to the same fixed size in both OSes. You don't want one OS enlarging the pagefile and the other one shrinking it every time you reboot. You shouldn't need a dedicated partition for the pagefile.

Note that NTFS under Windows 7 supports multiple restore points, but XP does not. Every time XP access a Windows 7 partition it's possible that it could remove all but the last restore point.

I don't know for sure if this will work, but I think that if there's no unpartitioned space on your disk and there are no other disks connected, then if you specify an existing partition to install Windows 7 in it won't create a recovery partition.
June 28, 2010 8:15:12 AM

Best answer selected by hiddenmessage.
m
l
!