Do i really need to Get a new PSU ??? Help PLZ!

pistachio9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
So i built a new pc with some new parts...

Biostar GF8100 M2G+
AMD Athlon X2 7750
Kingston DDR2 800MHz 2GB RAM

and some parts from my old PC

Orange 300 W PSU (it has 20 PINS connector but works fine with my 24 PIN mobo)
Seagate (Model # ST330621A) 30GB PATA HDD
DVD Rom

So after building..i got some windows problem..so i took the pc to the same shop where i bought motherboard and other stuff....my windows prob got solved but they told me my power supply is'nt good enough and that i need to change it...coz it has 20 pins connector and my mobo has 24 pins port...and coz of this my mobo is getting heat up...but here in Tom'sHardware i read the topics about using 20 pins connector with 24 pins port and its working fine.
And now im a little confused....should i really need to change my PSU or they were just asking me to do so to sell their PSU !

Here is the pic of my PSU..PLZ have a look.
orangePSU.jpg

right now i dont have any separate video card or sound card....its just the motherboard, AMD athlon X2 7750 CPU, 30GB PATA HDD, DVD ROM, a 92cm FAN and thats all...

So i really need your Help guys coz i dont want to Fry my mobo and CPU and dont want to spend extra to get a new PSU just for nothing!

Thanks in Advance

pistachio9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

becoz i am using a 20PINS PSU on 24 Pins motherboard....He was asking me to touch the motherboard and see its overheated...i was a little hot but its just normal i think

pistachio9

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009

I can't open the link

Internet Explorer cannot display the webpage

....can you please give me a working link for this guide...thanks a lot

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
In theory it should be enough power, but many times psu's like this one are only putting out about half of their advertised power. I would seriously consider upgrading that psu to a corsair 400 or PC power and cooling 380 or a antec.

mike99

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
Sorry about previous post, slip of th mouse.
So after building..i got some windows problem..
What sort of problems? Have you tested the memory with Memtest86? How hot is the air from rear of PSU? That CPU uses max 8A on the 12V rail. If the PSU is 2 or 3 years old the performance drops due to ageing. I am running a Athlon64 x2 4200 with 7800GT video card using PSU (420W Hiper) with a 20 to 24 pin adapter for at least 2 years with no trouble. I wouldn't trust technical advice from that shop!

Mike.

That's normal and is not caused by that specific PSU. It will get as hot with another PSU. As soon as you power up the system, the motherboard chipset and several other components will get warm or hot.

the daveman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
Your old PSU can only put out 168 watts on the +12V. Even for your system specs I don't think that's enough. I'd recommend buying a new power supply. A couple of models that should work well for your system and get good reviews are Antec Earthwatts 380 or Corsair 400CX.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

168W is easily enough for that system.

the daveman

Distinguished
Jan 1, 2009
168W is easily enough for that system.

I put the listed specs in the eXtreme power supply calculator and it gives a total of 199W. That's with 30% capacitor aging since it's an old PSU.

Granted that figure is total output (12+5+3.3 V), but in a modern system most power is used by the +12V. I thought 168W would be cutting it a bit too close. Perhaps that's not the case.

theAnimal

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009

A power supply calculator gives you a recommended PSU size, not system power consumption.

The extra four pins on the main PSU connector are to carry more current. Your PSU is what I would call "barely adequate". The 12 volt rail is close to maxed out. You have plenty of capacity on the other outputs. As long as you keep the dust bunnies out of everything, you should be OK.

What I would do in your position is to start looking for PSU specials and sales on some of the suggested PSU's and pick one of them up.

theAninal is correct: "A power supply calculator gives you a recommended PSU size, not system power consumption." And most of the ones I looked at tend to be very conservative. I do not have a problem with that. My military electronics background indicates that "conservative" is good.