Sign in with
Your question
Solved

CPU question on Prime 95.

Last response: in Overclocking
June 8, 2010 5:32:49 AM

(This may be a newbish question, but this is a great way for me to learn.)

I have been overclocking my core i7 recently, and Prime 95 is mentioned as a pass/fail on most internet posts...

As soon as I run it, 2 of the 8 threads failed.

If 3 of the 4 cores are still pretty stable, is that good? Or must I have all 4 cores to be classified as stable?

More about : cpu question prime

June 8, 2010 7:14:31 AM

What kind of test are you running in P95? Also, are you monitoring temperatures?
m
l
June 8, 2010 8:24:51 AM

No... I was monitoring stability with stress tests (blend).
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2010 4:03:14 PM

Please tells us what bios settings you are trying to run and the hardware set up. Also as a general rule it is advisable to always monitor temps when stress testing a cpu. Real Temps or some other temp monitor should be run during the test. Is hyper thread enabled, turbo boost, speed step, etc.? All threads should pass any less indicates instability of the settings. What memory and settings are you using. Blend uses lots of ram. Use all bios set at default as a start point to be sure you can cool and run the stress at basic settings.
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:04:34 PM

I just want to know if 3 of the 4 cores running is considered stable or unstable.

If a CPU is considered stable, the way most people say its stable after they OC, are they saying all their cores are stable and running?

Can a CPU that is OC'd but have 3 of its 4 core running considered stable?
m
l
June 8, 2010 11:18:51 PM

dragonfang18 said:
I just want to know if 3 of the 4 cores running is considered stable or unstable.

If a CPU is considered stable, the way most people say its stable after they OC, are they saying all their cores are stable and running?

Can a CPU that is OC'd but have 3 of its 4 core running considered stable?

No.

Imagine a V8 engine running with two cylinders out.
m
l
June 9, 2010 1:39:14 AM

But it still works. 3 of 4 are running at 3.89 Ghz ok, just one works in a less efficient manor.

If a v8's 2 cylinders are out, it still runs. I just wonder if the 2 cylinders will cause the others to lose stability.
m
l

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 4:55:02 AM

Ok so here is your answer. Your system is not stable by all usual definitions. Yes when we say our OC is stable it usually means it has run all cores on all threads and passed whatever test we are using. As an example, my 920 is OC at 4ghz and ran prime blend for 24 hrs with no errors on any thread. All my temps were at or under 72c. Now your system may run just fine in your real world use where it never gets pushed as it does in prime. Please understand that it is usually heat that causes instability. The causes of the heat can be various.
June 9, 2010 5:29:34 AM

Best answer selected by dragonfang18.
m
l
June 9, 2010 5:29:51 AM

I know its heat that causes instability, I just want to make sure that the unstable cores does not cause instability as well.
m
l
!