Help regarding overclocking phenom II 965

amdenthusiast

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
I have a phenom II 965 and I'm planing to overclock it at 4ghz
the question is if i overclock it with a very good cooler like tuniq 120 extreem or spire thermax eclipse II so that i have good temperatures,will that overclock reduce the processor's life??
I mean does life of the processor only depends on temperatures?? or any overclock whether at good temperatures or high temperatures has to reduce processor's life..??

Solution

Any overclocking will essentially shorten the overall life span of the component, but no one can give an actual figure as to how much, it is an acceptable factor to all overclockers.

Voltage vs heat, voltage is the killer and increased voltage = increased heat, which is kept in check with a good aftermarket...

Jamieee

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2010
There are numerous ways that your processors life span can be reduced. One of these factors is heat. Another major player is voltage. As an increase in voltage affects the heat its all depends how many volts you pump into it. There are maximum recommenced voltages from both AMD and other overclockers who have also overclocked your processor. These are a great guideline to stick to as you will know if you go over these specs that you will damage your processor. However, the main idea is, the more voltage that you feed the processor the shorter its life will be. Overall this all depends on what overclock you are aiming to achieve.

Any overclocking will essentially shorten the overall life span of the component, but no one can give an actual figure as to how much, it is an acceptable factor to all overclockers.

Voltage vs heat, voltage is the killer and increased voltage = increased heat, which is kept in check with a good aftermarket cooling solution, lack of knowledge is also a killer because you need to know your intended overclocking components limitations.

Learn first, then do!

Solution

theitalian

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2010
I have the same CPU and i planned on getting it to 4Ghz. I couldnt. I would BSOD as soon as i loaded up my OS. 3.6Ghz is stable for me tho. I have the Corsair H50 water cooler

amdenthusiast

Distinguished
May 23, 2010
Only 3.6 With the H50 :O
Dude you must be doing wrong somewhere. Did you increase the voltage??
And are you increasing the multiplier or the FSB??
As increasing the FSB changes everything from ram to NB frequency. And maybe your ram or something is not stable at higher frequency....