Sign in with
Your question
Solved

SSD/HDD File System Setup

Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2010 8:51:52 AM

Hey guys,

So I will finally be putting my new system together in the next few days. I have pretty much everything figured out but I still have a few issues regarding the file system.

I'm going to be installing Windows 7 on my SSD, along with all the applications that I want to be fast, as well as some games that I'll be playing frequently.

For everything else, I will have a 1TB HDD. I'll be using a partitioning system outlined by 440bx below.
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/251381-32-partitionin...

Now, this is all fine, but I'm still concerned about the files that will be put into my user profile overtime by applications that automatically do that without user permission. For example, My Documents, Local, LocalLow, Roaming, Downloads, Program Data, and My Games, etc, are all folders that this seems to happen to. (I may be wrong about some).

I looked up a few solutions and one of the better ones seems to be to move the entire user profile over to the HDD and create a separate partition to house it. Check out the guide below.
http://www.maximumpc.com/article/howtos/howto_optimize_...

So, what do you guys think? Would this method eliminate this problem? Is this a bad idea, or is there a better way to go about it? Any advice or comments would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
a c 127 G Storage
June 26, 2010 12:37:05 PM

Create a few partitions at most; creating 6 or 8 artitions would force data to be fragmented and written to slower parts of your harddrive. So you might not actually gain anything by creating so many partitions; you will just force the drive to seek.

Just make sure the most accesses data is stored in the fastest portion of the HDD; the beginning. So the first partition you create will be the fastest, and you can use a second partition to store stuff that shouldn't need to be so fast like backups.

I assume you want to store your profile (mydocs etc) on the HDD instead, and not on your SSD, right?
m
l
a c 415 G Storage
June 26, 2010 5:47:23 PM

I agree that lots of partitions is probably overkill. My personal preference is one partition per drive.

It's certainly reasonable to move your profile over to a hard drive. I made a conscious decision to leave my profile on my SSD because browsers tend to store a ton of stuff in the profile and my strategy was that with all of it on the SSD the browser should be faster. But my 160GB SSD has plenty of space so that's not a concern for me.

Right now my profile folder has about 3.5GB of space used, most of which (2.0GB) seems to be Google Earth cache. I gotta say that Google Earth does run very nicely...
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2010 8:10:47 PM

I probably won't end up creating as many partitions as 440bx does, I'm just sorta using his layout as a guideline because I don't have much experience in it.

Yeah, I want to store my profile on the HDD instead, but it's not because I store things in the default folders like My Documents, it's because of the random files that end up there. Sminlal you do have a good point, but my SSD is going to be 80GB, which makes me hesitant to leave my profile there. If I had a 160GB like you I probably would.

Am I too concerned over my user profile being stored on the SSD, or should I still move it? Is the method MaximumPC used the best way to do it?

Also, I know Windows 7 disables things like Super/PreFetch, Disk Defrag, etc, while in the presence of a SSD, but what about things like Page File and Temp Folder? Should I move/tweak any of these things? My system is going to have 4GB of DDR3.

Thanks for the help guys.
m
l

Best solution

a c 415 G Storage
June 27, 2010 2:53:30 AM

The MaximumPC method should work fine for moving your profile.

The Temp folder is normally located in your profile, so you shouldn't have to worry separately about it, unless you specifically want to move it back to the SSD for speed. You can do that by creating a folder on the SSD and then changing the value of the "Temp" environment variable to point to it.

The pagefile will probably be just fine on your SSD. There are mixed opinions on this, but as long as you're not heavily oversubscribing your memory then the pagefile activity should be relatively small anyway. And IMHO if in fact you do have too little memory then you're better off buying more than worrying about where the page file is (I assume you're using 64-bit Windows 7?)
June 29, 2010 1:26:38 AM

sminlal said:
The MaximumPC method should work fine for moving your profile.

The Temp folder is normally located in your profile, so you shouldn't have to worry separately about it, unless you specifically want to move it back to the SSD for speed. You can do that by creating a folder on the SSD and then changing the value of the "Temp" environment variable to point to it.

The pagefile will probably be just fine on your SSD. There are mixed opinions on this, but as long as you're not heavily oversubscribing your memory then the pagefile activity should be relatively small anyway. And IMHO if in fact you do have too little memory then you're better off buying more than worrying about where the page file is (I assume you're using 64-bit Windows 7?)

Yeah, I'm using 64-Bit Win7. By the way, I'm typing this on my new system. :D 

I'm now going to partition my hard drive and move my user profile.

Thanks for the help.
m
l
June 29, 2010 1:26:59 AM

Best answer selected by doublefish.
m
l
!