Your question
Solved

Hard drive and Blu Ray drive not detected on initial boot

Tags:
  • Hard Drives
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
June 26, 2010 1:28:00 PM

Hello all, this is my first post and is concerning my first computer build. First off, I will tell you what I am working with. All parts are brand new and from TigerDirect.com:

ASUS P6X58D Premium Motherboard - LGA 1366, Intel X58, SATA, SLI Ready, CrossFireX Ready, Triple Channel DDR3 support, RAID, Hyperthreading, USB 3.0, SATA 6Gb/s

Ultra X4 750-Watt Modular Power Supply - 135mm Fan, ATX, Lifetime Warranty, 80+ Bronze, NVIDIA SLI & ATI Crossfire Certifications.

Cooler Master HAF 932 Full Tower Black Case

Intel Core i7 930 Processor BX80601930 - 2.80GHz, 8MB L3 Cache, 4.8GT/s QPI, HyperThreading, Quad Core, Bloomfield, LGA 1366, Retail, Fan

EVGA 01G-P3-1467-AR GeForce GTX 465 Superclocked Video Card - 1024MB GDDR5, PCI-Express 2.0, Dual DVI, Mini HDMI, SLI, DirectX 11

Corsair Core i7 XMS3 12GB PC12800 DDR3 Desktop Memory Upgrade - 6x2048MB

Pioneer BDR-205 Internal Blu-ray Disc/DVD/CD Writer - 50GB Write Speed, SATA Interface, BD-R, DVD-R, CD-R, Black

Western Digital WD20EADS Caviar Green Hard Drive - 2TB, SATA-3G, 32MB Cache, OEM

Ultra ChillTec Silver CPU Cooler - LGA 775/1366, AM2/AM2+/AM3

OK.... So I assembled it all and the CPU was skyrocketting up to 83 Celcius, I removed the thermal paste from the CPU and reapplied it to the ChillTec instead and now it goes from 40 to 48 Celcius just in BIOS startup within 15 seconds, I think that is normal, but have nothing to base it on.

At this point I double checked everything in the case, no loose screws floating around. All the SATA connections to the hard drive, blu ray, front panel, all tight on device and M/B. Next I checked power cables to CPU, ChillTec, video card, Blu Ray, Hard drive, all the fans, and everything is tight and locked in.

I fire it up again and go into the BIOS and set the speed of the RAM at 1600 MHz like it should, check CPU temp and it is around 45 Celcius. I notice that the BIOS has detected the Blu Ray, but not the hard drive, exit bios and try to open blu ray drive to insert windows dvd and it wont open; the light will come on briefly, then turn off and never open. I start the sytem up again and hear what sounds like something in the drive start to spin and almost like a quick scratch sound.

I pull the Blu Ray (LG lightscribe) from my current computer, plug it in to the building machine, same exact thing. Light comes on, but the drive never opens. I then open the new Pioneer drive with a nail and insert the windows dvd myself, I hit the button to see if the system will close it and it starts to move, but very slowly; almost as if there is just not enough power to do so. I close it and try to start again, seeing if it will read the DVD and nothing, now the machine doesnt have enough power to lock the drive closed and it sits just barely open.

I abandoned this problem and moved on to the hard drive, I pulled an extra 2TB internal from my current computer and plugged it in. Started the system and it took a lot longer to startup BIOsS (orig 5 seconds, now 15 seconds) then I get into the settings and notice under SATA 2 (the panel on M/B the drive is connected too) it is still "Not Detected" I scroll over it, however the BIOS freezes for a few seconds as if it were reading what was plugged in, sorting through all the data on the drive and then still Not Detected. I have used multiple SATA ports for both devices, I have used different SATA cables, I have used different slots on the power supply to the devices. I am just at a loss here and about ready to just hike it to the Geek Squad and pay hundreds for probably a flick of a switch. Any Advice??!! Thank you!

More about : hard drive blu ray drive detected initial boot

Best solution

a b G Storage
June 26, 2010 3:25:04 PM

-- Start your computer and enter the BIOS.
-- Get your motherboard manual and go to Chapter 3, page 3-8.
-- Do you see the Blu-ray and the HDD on your computer screen? If not, try changing your SATA configuration - go to page 3-10 of your manual, then open that screen in your BIOS.
-- Configure SATA as AHCI.
-- Save and exit the BIOS.
Let us know if that works.
June 26, 2010 3:38:36 PM

I changed it to AHCI, nothing happened, the Blu Ray is detected and listed in the BIOS, but it seems to not have enough power still, it creeps open, then stops like it ran out of juice, I push it closed and then when I restart the machine it barely pushes the drive back open and never reads the windows install disk. The HDD still is not detected and plugged into SATA port 2
m
l
Related resources
June 26, 2010 4:43:50 PM

OK!! I fixed it. It was what I suspected, the power supply. I went to best buy and got a RocketFish 900w cont. 1000w peak gaming power supply and now it all powers up perfect and the drive opens/closes and the hard drive is detected and I am installing windows now. That Ultra 750W is either a piece of trash or the power wattage calculators I use highly under estimate the power needed. Thanks for your help treefrog07!!
m
l
June 26, 2010 4:43:56 PM

Best answer selected by seamus2849.
m
l
!