Sign in with
Your question

Seeing yellow dots with HD 4850

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2009 4:52:08 AM

Hey, i just bought a new OEM ATI branded HD4850. So i installed it, and it worked fine for about 10 mins, then it started to crap out on me, i was playing supreme commander at the time, it crashed and said i had driver errors, i had installed the newest ATI drivers already. So i restarted my computer, and when i looked at my desktop, i started to see yellow dots =/. I tried both ports, nothing, tried DVI to VGA no difference, DVI to HDMI, and straight DVI, nothing worked. My computer specs are, M3N78 Pro mobo, Antec 500W that came with the case, 2 GB OCZ ram, and a couple of HDD. With the onboard graphics, it worked fine, but once i put in the 4850 thats when the problem started. Heat wise, idle is 37 degrees, so i dont know what it is. I found that if i switched the colour quality to 16 bit instead of highest 32 bit, it looks fine. But i want 32 bit lol. So i'm not sure what to do here... any help would be appreciated.

More about : yellow dots 4850

January 26, 2009 6:54:54 AM

XYZhen said:
Hey, i just bought a new OEM ATI branded HD4850. So i installed it, and it worked fine for about 10 mins, then it started to crap out on me, i was playing supreme commander at the time, it crashed and said i had driver errors, i had installed the newest ATI drivers already. So i restarted my computer, and when i looked at my desktop, i started to see yellow dots =/. I tried both ports, nothing, tried DVI to VGA no difference, DVI to HDMI, and straight DVI, nothing worked. My computer specs are, M3N78 Pro mobo, Antec 500W that came with the case, 2 GB OCZ ram, and a couple of HDD. With the onboard graphics, it worked fine, but once i put in the 4850 thats when the problem started. Heat wise, idle is 37 degrees, so i dont know what it is. I found that if i switched the colour quality to 16 bit instead of highest 32 bit, it looks fine. But i want 32 bit lol. So i'm not sure what to do here... any help would be appreciated.

try some eye wash
January 26, 2009 7:16:03 AM

Get it replaced.
Related resources
January 26, 2009 1:37:22 PM

so its just a faulty card?
January 26, 2009 1:59:06 PM

Try a linux live cd(eg. ubuntu) to see if the dots are there as well, in which case it is clearly faulty.
January 26, 2009 2:11:56 PM

Sounds like bad memory.
January 26, 2009 3:57:16 PM

alright thanks guys, im gonna swap it for another 4850, bought the card for 120 so cant complain lol.
January 27, 2009 12:42:40 AM

NICEE $120? where at? was it used? if it was, maybe the person heavily overclocked the memory, thus damaging it
January 27, 2009 12:48:10 AM

lol it was new, it was in a box, with all contents. I'm getting it exchanged from him 2morrow, he just used to own a computer store and is selling things cheap now.
February 26, 2009 8:54:45 PM

Did it look anything like this?

I'm using a 4870 on win 7 32 bit. I only ever get it on the desktop, never in game. The artifacts always seem to follow the window around, and after a short period of time it usually goes away (sometimes the display will stop responding and recover without the artifacts). Card is running at stock speeds.
!