Sign in with
Your question

GT300 to be Nvidia's first DX11 card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
January 26, 2009 7:31:03 AM

http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&ta...

Quote:
Nvidia is working on what looks to be its first DirectX 11 card and as it was the case before, Nvidia will start with DirectX 11 in the ultra high-end and it will pass it on to slower cards at a later date. The codename that we've heard is a quite logical one, GT300, and this card will help Nvidia to fight and eventually take the performance crown in ultra high-end market.

We do know that ATI should have its high end DirectX 11 at a similar date, and in the meantime both companies will focus more on cheaper cards in 2009, as the year of the Ox will probably be a good year for selling cheaper and more affordable stuff. All of the cards to launch in next three quarters in mainstream and entry-level will stick with DirectX 10 or 10.1, depending who are you talking about.

Many of you know that high-end helps selling entry level and mainstream, and it is rather important who wins this round, but it is still way too early to tell.

More about : gt300 nvidia dx11 card

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 26, 2009 6:53:06 PM

A. Its a Fud article so i will wait and see: and more importantly B. I just cant believe it i mean come on GT300 ?? Come on who's going to believe them posting crap like that ?? We all know its going to be called the GTX295.1 or something stupid. GT300 just makes too much sense. :kaola: 

Mactronix
January 26, 2009 7:23:04 PM

My thought is, they will have the strongest GPU, but the most expensive gpu 2
Related resources
January 26, 2009 7:45:58 PM

Lol at this rate all this waiting for the new GPU i'l just go crazy and crossfire 500000 HD4870s lol (thats a joke L1qu1d, before you go crazy and tell me thats not possible...)
January 26, 2009 8:04:02 PM

I think I can tell the difference between stupidy and a joke thanks:)  :p 
a b U Graphics card
January 26, 2009 8:23:30 PM

Im getting tired of new tech we should chill and improve software, that's were we lack.
January 26, 2009 8:29:56 PM

yup:)  Thats why I don't go quad by the time they improve drivers its already phased out by another card:p 
January 26, 2009 9:27:30 PM

invisik said:
Im getting tired of new tech we should chill and improve software, that's were we lack.

Seriously, we would probably see greater jumps in performance from better optimized games and drivers over the next generation of hardware.

Game developers in general still aren't really taking complete advantage of our current hardware. Hell, GTA IV is practically a console emulator.
January 26, 2009 9:47:23 PM

so L1qu1d which am i? lol :) 
January 27, 2009 12:41:03 AM

A joker:D  :p 

Well you know what you want which is a good thing:) 
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 27, 2009 6:44:34 AM

turboflame said:
Seriously, we would probably see greater jumps in performance from better optimized games and drivers over the next generation of hardware.

Game developers in general still aren't really taking complete advantage of our current hardware. Hell, GTA IV is practically a console emulator.

Thats the whole problem right there, Consoles are taking over gaming im afraid.
Untill we get some stability in the hardware like we did with DX9 then i cant really blame the devs for not wanting to put the time in to coding a game to run well on specific hardware.
It seems to me that the best way around it is as you say drivers that will allow utilisation of the hardware.
Basically we will need hardware that is happy to deal with what ever crap code the console boys want to throw at us. Thats a lot of the reasons for needing higher specs on games.
I remember reading a review about Assassins Creed when it first came out the specs were horrendous, my rig at the time would run Crysis, at pretty low settings but still it ran it. A/C made it lock up into a slide show at best and that was all down to my system resources not being high enough to deal with the overhead of the bad coding that was being dumped on it.
Mactronix
January 27, 2009 3:14:49 PM

I agree with Mactronix , dx9 was on the air for about 3 years may be more. So it's ok to develop games on that. But now, Microsoft run the show and produce one directX a year, one for each OS, and foreach new version retrocompatibilty is not always garanty. So, If was running a game developper company I will prefer to select a stable directX and build my librairy, engine and everything I need based on stable version of directX. That way I will save money. I think this what happen in pc gaming now. I also go to a presentation of ubisoft montreal and the tech there go in the same way that I explain before. For ubisoft they have to maintain a team to test new directX version each time. For them it's ok, they have the money to do that, but for other company it's not the same.

But, It's just my refelexion on the subject
thanks
January 27, 2009 3:50:03 PM

NVIDIA needs to have better performance jumps in between their generations of cards. Too much playing with the model numbers using the same chip. I follow this stuff and i'm even losing track of whats what.
January 27, 2009 5:59:21 PM

Actually if you look at the facts they do

You don't think match dual GPU 9800 GX2 is a step up?

Well for us it, technically but in real life it really is:)  I'd be EXTREMEly happy seeing a single GPU card that can match 2 280s....not so much 1 4870 X2 cuz its only 30% but 2 280s or aorund 1 295 GTX...AWESOME

I'll say what I said before everything, don't get your hopes up, and to hype everything cuz they will dissappoint:) 

Look at Haze for instance for the ps3...honestly I played it, and I'm very picky for games, I enjoyed the damn thing...its just ppl were expecting too much and got so little compared to their expectation, and now look at the bloody game. Its 14.99 new here in canada, yet an amazingly well balanced game...granted its basically a halo and Crysis game fused but MEH!
January 27, 2009 7:16:43 PM

Any idea when Vista / Windows 7 will be replased? It will determinate the next DX timeline... If it's something like two years... Well you can not expect much support to DX11... It may even happen that DX 11 phases out before any games have been made to it... It would be kinda fun ;-)
I think that we will see some DX10 titles in next few years (most still will be dx9). But ofcource we will have 3dmark dx11 :-) even we don't see any games.
January 27, 2009 7:18:41 PM

there isn't a great enough leap from 9 to 10..and def not worth the performance loss.

DX 11 needs to have more going for it if its going to attract both gamers and programmers.

a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 27, 2009 7:26:44 PM

Well from the early Beta test reports the new tweaking of Vista that is being called Windows 7 is actually a big step in the right correction with a lot of people reporting performance increases over both Vista and XP.
The system requirements are said to be less than Vista as well.
DX 11 isnt definatly set to come out with W7 so it could be any time after its released.
Personally i was hoping it would release with it so making a DX11 card worth waiting for. However it seems that waiting isnt really an option at this time.

Mactronix
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 27, 2009 7:57:26 PM

Well that's been known for some time. ATI is also developing a DX11 card and you can expect to see both when DX 11 is launched, probably with windows 7, or at least not too far after. It's still a year or so away so I can't really say I care right now.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2009 9:51:07 PM

Why don't they wait and let the programmers catchup with DX10 first?
January 27, 2009 10:14:03 PM

I think dx 10 is flawed, might as well move on... I mean dx 10 will still be supported, its just going to have addons for the ppl that have the next cards.
a b U Graphics card
January 27, 2009 11:50:10 PM

^True, but the programmers are still going to be behind the hardware (ie multi core CPUs/GPUs)
January 28, 2009 12:14:45 AM

Yes but atleast we'll have the fake eye candy:) 
January 28, 2009 12:39:35 AM

I can already hardly wait until the GT+X300core330LS+XLT comes out.

I'm an nVidia fan, and as such can poop on their naming scheme if I want to.
January 28, 2009 12:40:44 AM

*edit* whoops, I posted this twice somehow. What I get for trying to be a smart @55. :pt1cable: 
January 28, 2009 12:50:55 AM

indeed
a c 106 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2009 1:48:59 AM

Actually DX11 is suppose to be optimized for more threads to take advantage of multicore CPUs in AI and scene rendering. That lets programmers be lazy and not have to learn the skills needed to do it themselves ^_^.
January 28, 2009 2:15:45 AM

I think its a good thing that DX11 is on its way. DX10 was a great failure and was way to over hyped. If DX11 works out I'm sure we will get a lot more games to support it.

The only down side of it coming so soon is that we will have to upgrade our videocards to get the benefits. Lets just hope its worth it.
January 28, 2009 2:28:23 AM

40nm process before (or at the same time) as DX11. I, for one, am really looking forward to it.
a b U Graphics card
January 28, 2009 6:38:48 AM

see this is were Intel might be on to something with there GPGPU or whatever they are working on "larrabee" - from what im hearing it sounds like newer direct x support is just a matter of a driver set, rather then new hardware etc - this piece of hardware sounds more interesting only if they get it right tho....
a c 130 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 28, 2009 6:38:52 AM

As far as i am aware the DX11 cards are due out before DX11 or even W7, thats why people are at 6's and 7's about if the new cards are worth waiting for or not.
People really dont know what to expect from the hardware but also dont want to spend out on a card now if there will be performance gains to be had from the DX11 parts.
Remember not every one can afford to upgrade every 6 months or even every year for some people.

Mactronix
January 29, 2009 3:32:02 AM

Upgrades every year are best, just go with half as much. $100 now and $100 next year will do much better than $200 now and nothing next year. I feel sorry for people who bought HD 3870X2's.
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2009 5:39:17 AM

mactronix said:
A. Its a Fud article so i will wait and see

Actually of all the sources I'd give Fuad more credit than most. The only ones I trust more are those who can't talk even though they itch to share what they know.

mactronix said:
and more importantly B. I just cant believe it i mean come on GT300 ?? Come on who's going to believe them posting crap like that ?? We all know its going to be called the GTX295.1 or something stupid. GT300 just makes too much sense.

Well really GT300 makes less sense, it's the same error most people make. It should be the G300 and the GTX3xx.

Don't give up hope though, they could still call it the GTXI3xx with the XI denoting DX support level, then after that the GTXII. Someday it might eventually be fast enough to earn the name GT-R but only if it has twin turbos and enough lateral Gs. ;) 
a b U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
January 29, 2009 5:47:43 AM

BTW guys no one is forcing anyone to move to DX11, but consider it like a tool box set, you might not need all the tools that come with it, but it's better than to find yourself confronted with a problem and then not have the right tool at your disposal despite the mfr (M$) originally having thought of it and wanting to include it but everyone else decided it was tool many tools in one box and too confusing for now.

There are major benefits to both DX11 and the various levels of DX10, however it takes time to implement and to see what pays off.

I have more hope for DX11 than DX10, hopefully there will be no partial implementation and not splits.

Larrabee remains the big extra questionmark.

Nothing will 'require' it anytime soon, but who knows, compute shaders, tesselation or something else might be worthwhile sooner than dx10 features may have been.
May 30, 2009 1:36:24 AM

It really does piss me off when you go spend tons of money on good hardware when within a month
it is a 2/3rds of its original value...

You go spend a lot on gtx 260 sli, then within a year the gtx295 comes out and kicks it up the bum, and
it is on one card. So I guess by this Christmas there will be the gtx295x2 (or gt300 series...)
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2009 1:44:51 AM

You'll be fine, trust me.

Give Windows 7 a year to gain a foothold and a good few months for dx11 to take off - and that's only if it's *really* good.

Dx11 has to be amazing for anyone to go out and buy a g300 or r800 gpu. It's been a very long time since I skipped a whole generation of cards but I have a feeling that the next gen will be getting skipped.

How many people are sitting with single 4870's or gtx260's in their pc's, and already very satisfied with the performance? Don't worry about your gpu becoming obsolete, the games just aren't up to speed with the hardware and probably never will be again.

Also the 295gtx doesn't beat 260's in sli, they are practically the same.
May 30, 2009 1:47:14 AM

mactronix said:
A. Its a Fud article so i will wait and see: and more importantly B. I just cant believe it i mean come on GT300 ?? Come on who's going to believe them posting crap like that ?? We all know its going to be called the GTX295.1 or something stupid. GT300 just makes too much sense. :kaola: 

Mactronix

Umn... they've had the GTX295 for a while..... a long while.
May 30, 2009 1:49:57 AM

I_Am_Skip said:
It really does piss me off when you go spend tons of money on good hardware when within a month
it is a 2/3rds of its original value...

You go spend a lot on gtx 260 sli, then within a year the gtx295 comes out and kicks it up the bum, and
it is on one card. So I guess by this Christmas there will be the gtx295x2 (or gt300 series...)

Actually There are some benchmarks on this site a few weeks old that show an SLI GTX260 set up performs nearly as good as a GTX295 , and in a few cases beats it.
a b U Graphics card
May 30, 2009 1:54:49 AM

Gin Fushicho said:
Umn... they've had the GTX295 for a while..... a long while.

That's why he said 295.1 ;)  Also, this is a pretty old thread.
May 30, 2009 2:16:51 AM

jennyh said:
That's why he said 295.1 ;)  Also, this is a pretty old thread.

Didnt notice , it was at the top when I posted.
July 30, 2009 7:46:56 AM

Dekasav said:
I feel sorry for people who bought HD 3870X2's.

no way my 3870X2 rocks , i can run any game including crysis at highest settings and it supports dx10.1 something that no nvidia card does.

i feel sorry for nvidia users being left out in the cold.

CORE I7 FTW!!!
July 30, 2009 7:51:06 AM

zomb699 said:
no way my 3870X2 rocks , i can run any game including crysis at highest settings and it supports dx10.1 something that no nvidia card does.

i feel sorry for nvidia users being left out in the cold.

Nvidia doesnt need it to be on the hardware, our AWESOME almost perfect drivers do that for us.

!