GT300 to be Nvidia's first DX11 card

rangers

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2007
http://www.fudzilla.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=11666&Itemid=1

Nvidia is working on what looks to be its first DirectX 11 card and as it was the case before, Nvidia will start with DirectX 11 in the ultra high-end and it will pass it on to slower cards at a later date. The codename that we've heard is a quite logical one, GT300, and this card will help Nvidia to fight and eventually take the performance crown in ultra high-end market.

We do know that ATI should have its high end DirectX 11 at a similar date, and in the meantime both companies will focus more on cheaper cards in 2009, as the year of the Ox will probably be a good year for selling cheaper and more affordable stuff. All of the cards to launch in next three quarters in mainstream and entry-level will stick with DirectX 10 or 10.1, depending who are you talking about.

Many of you know that high-end helps selling entry level and mainstream, and it is rather important who wins this round, but it is still way too early to tell.

A. Its a Fud article so i will wait and see: and more importantly B. I just cant believe it i mean come on GT300 ?? Come on who's going to believe them posting crap like that ?? We all know its going to be called the GTX295.1 or something stupid. GT300 just makes too much sense. :kaola:

Mactronix

OmegaStalker

Distinguished
Dec 22, 2008
Lol at this rate all this waiting for the new GPU i'l just go crazy and crossfire 500000 HD4870s lol (thats a joke L1qu1d, before you go crazy and tell me thats not possible...)

turboflame

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2006

Seriously, we would probably see greater jumps in performance from better optimized games and drivers over the next generation of hardware.

Game developers in general still aren't really taking complete advantage of our current hardware. Hell, GTA IV is practically a console emulator.

Thats the whole problem right there, Consoles are taking over gaming im afraid.
Untill we get some stability in the hardware like we did with DX9 then i cant really blame the devs for not wanting to put the time in to coding a game to run well on specific hardware.
It seems to me that the best way around it is as you say drivers that will allow utilisation of the hardware.
Basically we will need hardware that is happy to deal with what ever crap code the console boys want to throw at us. Thats a lot of the reasons for needing higher specs on games.
I remember reading a review about Assassins Creed when it first came out the specs were horrendous, my rig at the time would run Crysis, at pretty low settings but still it ran it. A/C made it lock up into a slide show at best and that was all down to my system resources not being high enough to deal with the overhead of the bad coding that was being dumped on it.
Mactronix

jive

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2007
I agree with Mactronix , dx9 was on the air for about 3 years may be more. So it's ok to develop games on that. But now, Microsoft run the show and produce one directX a year, one for each OS, and foreach new version retrocompatibilty is not always garanty. So, If was running a game developper company I will prefer to select a stable directX and build my librairy, engine and everything I need based on stable version of directX. That way I will save money. I think this what happen in pc gaming now. I also go to a presentation of ubisoft montreal and the tech there go in the same way that I explain before. For ubisoft they have to maintain a team to test new directX version each time. For them it's ok, they have the money to do that, but for other company it's not the same.

But, It's just my refelexion on the subject
thanks

FHDelux

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2008
NVIDIA needs to have better performance jumps in between their generations of cards. Too much playing with the model numbers using the same chip. I follow this stuff and i'm even losing track of whats what.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
Actually if you look at the facts they do

You don't think match dual GPU 9800 GX2 is a step up?

Well for us it, technically but in real life it really is:) I'd be EXTREMEly happy seeing a single GPU card that can match 2 280s....not so much 1 4870 X2 cuz its only 30% but 2 280s or aorund 1 295 GTX...AWESOME

I'll say what I said before everything, don't get your hopes up, and to hype everything cuz they will dissappoint:)

Look at Haze for instance for the ps3...honestly I played it, and I'm very picky for games, I enjoyed the damn thing...its just ppl were expecting too much and got so little compared to their expectation, and now look at the bloody game. Its 14.99 new here in canada, yet an amazingly well balanced game...granted its basically a halo and Crysis game fused but MEH!

hannibal

Distinguished
Any idea when Vista / Windows 7 will be replased? It will determinate the next DX timeline... If it's something like two years... Well you can not expect much support to DX11... It may even happen that DX 11 phases out before any games have been made to it... It would be kinda fun ;-)
I think that we will see some DX10 titles in next few years (most still will be dx9). But ofcource we will have 3dmark dx11 :) even we don't see any games.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
there isn't a great enough leap from 9 to 10..and def not worth the performance loss.

DX 11 needs to have more going for it if its going to attract both gamers and programmers.

Well from the early Beta test reports the new tweaking of Vista that is being called Windows 7 is actually a big step in the right correction with a lot of people reporting performance increases over both Vista and XP.
The system requirements are said to be less than Vista as well.
DX 11 isnt definatly set to come out with W7 so it could be any time after its released.
Personally i was hoping it would release with it so making a DX11 card worth waiting for. However it seems that waiting isnt really an option at this time.

Mactronix

Well that's been known for some time. ATI is also developing a DX11 card and you can expect to see both when DX 11 is launched, probably with windows 7, or at least not too far after. It's still a year or so away so I can't really say I care right now.

L1qu1d

Splendid
Sep 29, 2007
I think dx 10 is flawed, might as well move on... I mean dx 10 will still be supported, its just going to have addons for the ppl that have the next cards.

Wrecks

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2008
I can already hardly wait until the GT+X300core330LS+XLT comes out.

I'm an nVidia fan, and as such can poop on their naming scheme if I want to.