BEST CPU FOR OVERCLOCKING New rig HELP

Hey All,
NewB here,well to Tom's anyway. I have a question on CPU's and OCing.I'm building my new rig with the Gigabyte GA-EP45-UDP3P mobo .(my last was a gigabyte P4 Titian,its been a day or two) I'm leaning toward using the GIGABYTE GV-R487D5-1GD Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card with 8gb of DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 . I'm trying to figure out what would be the best choice CPU for overclocking with this setup. PLEASE HELP!
LOOKING FOR THE BEST BANG FOR YOUR BUCK!
6 answers Last reply
More about best overclocking help
  1. Dual core- E8500
    Quad core- Q9400

Bang for the buck means you can also go for the E8400.

Depends on how much you want to spend. For OCing you'll need to get an aftermarket cooler too.
  2. I can't find that motherboard anywhere. I'm guessing it will support C2Q, so i'd go for either the Q9550 or Q9650. The Q6600 is good for OCing too but its 65 nm, so make sure you have a good heatsink.
  3. The Third Level said:
    I can't find that motherboard anywhere. I'm guessing it will support C2Q, so i'd go for either the Q9550 or Q9650. The Q6600 is good for OCing too but its 65 nm, so make sure you have a good heatsink.

Gigabyte GA-EP45-UDP3P mobo .Sorry,missed the P lol
  4. I have a XIGMATEK Dark Knight-S1283V 120mm Long Life Bearing CPU Cooler coming in the mail as we speak.
  5. Best bang for the buck and overclock, hmmm I would say this is a great choice. It is very cheap and can overclock very high if thats your thing.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819116072

Basically any of the wolfdales will get you a good overclock.

If you want a quad core there is always the q6600 or get a yorkfield 45nm quad.
  6. Thanks for all the help guys! I have ordered a E8400
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Gigabyte Product