Sign in with
Your question

New to computer building

Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2009 4:51:20 AM

This is my first post on this site. I have always been into computers but have never really researched motherboards. Ive never built a computer from scratch. I'm looking to build my first from scratch computer. I was looking around at different places. TigerDirect, newegg, microcenter, etc... I found two mobo/CPU combos that I think seem to be a good deal.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/ite...

Same CPU different boards but the same price. I know they are boards from the same company and im guessing they are not that much different. one because of the price and two from there product line. I like to do gaming, autocad, im a web design student and i like editing pictures and videos.

What im looking for is some advice on what to do, are those mobo/cpu combo's good? Which one is better? Idea's on other parts. Currently i have a Nvidia geforce 9500 gt in my computer now. Would buying a 2nd one with the SLI be beneficial or should i buy new?

thanks ahead of time for you input.

More about : computer building

a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 5:26:49 AM

XFX MB = less than stellar support.

Pentium D = With the curent selection of i7, C2D/C2Q's and PII 2 45nm CPU's available, building a new Pentium D has no merit.

Try finding an i7/x58, PII/975 or C2Q/945 combo. ASUS or Gigabyte provided top rate MB support.
Related resources
May 15, 2009 5:34:20 AM

I see how you say its $70 cheaper but the two that I listed came with the Core 2 Extreme CPU. Again I am new to mobo's is there something better about the one you posted over the ones I have listed? I'm not doubting you. I would just like a little explanation so I can try to understand this better.
May 15, 2009 5:37:02 AM

Quote:
Try finding an i7/x58, PII/975 or C2Q/945 combo.

Yeah that just lost me there. I feel stupid right now. lol
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 5:46:41 AM

Latest CPU and motherboards available:

Intel i7 paired with an x58 MB

AMD Phenom II 45nm CPU paired with 975 chipset MB

Core 2 Duo or Quad 45nm paired with a P945 MB.

The Pentium D is old technology not worth building when you have all this available currently. You linked the Pentium D 965.

May 15, 2009 5:57:24 AM

I am starting to agree with badge... Go with a better processor, that way you dont have to upgrade soon...

What is the purpose of your build anyway? Gaming? Video editing? HTPC?
May 15, 2009 6:08:30 AM

the purpose of my build is for gaming, video editing, photo editing, maybe messing around with programming, design, etc stuff like that. I want a build that will be able to do almost anything and be able to be easily upgradable.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 6:23:12 AM

Well, perhaps post a new thread asking for build suggestions in the Homebuilt section. The Core i7/x58 would be the most expensive build to do. And probably an AMD Phenom II 955/975x MB would be the budget build. Like someone mentioned, newegg has some nice combos available. I recently bult this quad core system for a few hundred dollars. I had everyhing but the CPU and MB. Great for video editing, multitasking, etc.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
May 15, 2009 6:25:13 AM

thanks for all the advice guys. I will take a look at your suggestions badge. Tomorrow ill post a new one in the homebuilt section. (I didnt see that one before)
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 6:29:11 AM

Post a new thread in Homebuilt section and ask for new build suggestion. Those guys are good and will give you some advice/ideas. (Don't mention the Pentium D idea LOL)
May 15, 2009 6:31:41 AM

lol I wont mention it I promise! Funny thing is I showed it to my teacher for my architecture and OS class and he said it was good. lol. One thing i did have to ask tho. I've heard a lot about the quad cores and how they are still unstable. Whats your position on that?
May 15, 2009 6:36:08 AM

Quad cores being unstable?!?! Is it 2005? Lol.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 6:37:00 AM

Quad cores I have running currently:

Intel O9450 @ 3GHz.
AMD Phenom II 940 @ 3.6GHz
Intel Q6600 @ 2.7GHz.

All are as stable as they can possibly be.

I also have two Pentium D's currently running. The Pentium D 925 and 805. I wish I didn't.
May 15, 2009 6:37:54 AM

With the puroposes you listed, you REALLY need the latest Phenom II or i7, depending on your budget.
May 15, 2009 6:39:08 AM

I have a Turion 64 running... Waiting to go home and build my i7!

I only have one more Final tomorrow...
May 15, 2009 6:41:23 AM

haha i think i should just change my name to NOOB! yeah last i heard i guess it was back around 2005 was that quad cores are unstable. the budget isnt really in question. I have a running computer I can use right now. So as i get money im going to buy it piece by piece or go max out another credit card.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 6:47:52 AM

I enjoy my four Quad systems. Especially using Vista 64 and eight GBs of RAM. I also have several dual cores running:

e8400
e6600
AMD 5000 upgraded to the 940 PII
AMD 4800

I prefer the quad cores over the dual cores. Lots of RAM and 64 bit OS. Hands have to pried away.
May 15, 2009 6:53:55 AM

I was merely basing the fact upon core 2 Quad and i7 being stable so far, since I know they are quad cores.
May 15, 2009 6:57:11 AM

current computer I'm working with right now is a dell dimension DM061 (my mom got a deal from her work)

intel pentium d 2.8ghz
3gigs of ram
vista home basic 32bit
240 gig hard drive
nvidia geforce 9500gt
21inch monitor

the HD is almost full
came with 1 gig of ram (had to upgrade to do anything on vista)
came with integrated video

didnt seem that bad for $450 over a year ago
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 7:07:42 AM

Well, I have two pentium D systems running currently that I use every day. The Pentium D 805 on an ATI Radeon Express 200 chipset. Then I have the Pentium D 925 on an ASUS 945 MB with 2 GBs of RAM. I built both of them many years ago. Both are office stations used for scheduling, internet surfing, office documents and general business duties. Both are micro builds by now and one is at the front desk in one of our offices. These machines are slow compared to the latest systems we are talking about. But, like you do, I still have use for my Pentium D's.

EDIT for spelling and writer's embellishment.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 7:11:13 AM

Upgrading from a Pentium D 2.8GHz. to the systems we are talking about is a major upgrade regarding everything you mentioned you use your system for. The difference would be a rush to you as a computer user and enthusiast.
May 15, 2009 7:12:22 AM

I have no problem using this computer. I keep it updated and running great. Plays games decent. Not enough storage so i bought a 1T external. I cant multitask tho. thats the biggest thing im looking for. besides having the 21in monitor I also have my 37 lcd tv hooked up to it. My laptop is a POS i got on black friday for $150. My sister uses that and she complains about it. So the other day I suggested she take this computer and helps me out on some money for my new one and thats when i decided to build a custom computer. My favorite game is COD4 and it runs ok but i know it could run a LOT better.
May 15, 2009 7:15:28 AM

You said gaming... What games specifically? FPS? RTS? MMO?
May 15, 2009 7:18:34 AM

Do you multi-task a lot? I usually run a bit torrent, while I play a single player RTS, or FPS, or RPG.

Wait this doesnt matter that much... Thats it I really have to study... I'll be back tomorrow. Probably at night with what I have to do. Badge... Its your call...
May 15, 2009 7:19:48 AM

I play a wide range of games. I love FPS! thats my all time fav right there if we are talking bout types of games. My cousin is big in MMO games like ragnarok, WOW, silkroad. I also plan on getting diablo 3 as soon as it comes out and starcraft 2
May 15, 2009 7:23:03 AM

i play the MMO games with my cousin
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 7:24:15 AM

blown38pontiac said:
I have no problem using this computer. I keep it updated and running great. Plays games decent. Not enough storage so i bought a 1T external. I cant multitask tho. thats the biggest thing im looking for. besides having the 21in monitor I also have my 37 lcd tv hooked up to it. My laptop is a POS i got on black friday for $150. My sister uses that and she complains about it. So the other day I suggested she take this computer and helps me out on some money for my new one and thats when i decided to build a custom computer. My favorite game is COD4 and it runs ok but i know it could run a LOT better.

A Quad core with 4 to 8 GBs of RAM and a 64 bit OS would solve the multitasking situation. My son games a lot with a Q6600. Speaking of making do with what you have available, I still have these running and use most of these every day. All are updated and running great. Most in business environment. They are stable and serve their purpose.

Pentium I 133MHz. currently down
Pentium I 450 MHz.
AMD ATHLON 3200 2.2GHz Socket A
Two systems: AMD 64 3400 2.4Ghz Socket 754
AMD 64 3700 2.4GHz 754
AMD 64 Socket 939 Three systems running...FX55, 4800X2 and 4000+

May 15, 2009 7:30:06 AM

wow you have a lot of different computers and setups. I still have my first computer we ever had in my house. My cousin built me it back in the mid 90's. I have no idea what is actually in that thing tho. I might just have to take it a part and check it out. I posted a thing on craigslist offering to take old unwanted computer parts. I figured if i cant do anything with the parts. I would atleast have the experience of putting parts together and trouble shooting on a computer that i dont have to worry bout. I really want to try out the new windows 7 RC but Dont want to mess with the only computer in the house with that.
a b V Motherboard
a b à CPUs
May 15, 2009 7:41:49 AM

I have Windows 7 64 RC dual booting on an older socket 939 AMD 4000+ system. I'll buy Windows 7 64 as soon as it is available. Sails along just great on an old single core 2.4Ghz. with 2GBs of PC3200. So, you are leaning towards a dual core budget/semi budget system right now? Intel e series has a pretty good performance edge with the dual cores right now. I have an e8400 with 4 GBs RAM, 8800GTS 640 and an ASUS G45 MB. Not used for gaming. An e8500 dual core with P45 MB are priced very reasonable and would make a fast gaming system. Your Pentium D wouldn't compare to a C2D 45 nm. Night and day.
!