Sign in with
Your question

Newly built computer does not boot.

Last response: in Systems
December 31, 2008 2:02:27 AM

Not exactly sure whats happening here, I just received brand new parts aside from a PSU and my optical drive, hooked everything up, turned it on, and bam, nothing but a black screen. All the fans power up, my HDD is turning on, but there is nothing else going on. No beeps from the mobo, and no other sounds.

The optical drive also does not open at all, so i suspect it is not getting power for some reason, but i have checked all connections and they are good.

Any help is appreciated, thanks.
December 31, 2008 2:12:20 AM

24-pin and 4-pin or 8-pin CPU power both connected to the motherboard?
December 31, 2008 2:21:36 AM

have you connected the case speaker to the motherboard so you can hear the POST or other warning beeps?

Usually the header is with the front panel power connector
Related resources
December 31, 2008 3:05:34 AM

are your graphics integrated or is it a seperate card. if it is seperate, and it it is in a PCIe slot, try making sure its cord to the psu plugged in propperly. also check your optical drive connection.
December 31, 2008 3:15:29 AM

sounds like your 4-pin or 8 pin isnt connected. Its the connector that is ussually close to the cpu.
December 31, 2008 3:22:27 AM

all of us think its some connection problem. just remember, bricked mobos have similar symptoms... no worries... some hardware is manufactured 'bad'. this happens but it is more likely you connected something wrong
December 31, 2008 6:14:22 PM

Well ive got a new piece of information.

The voltage switch on the PSU was originally 230, (it should have been 115) and thats when everything was powering up like in my original post. When i flick the switch over to 115, the computer will not stay on. All of the fans will flicker for a split second but then fail to turn on.

Should the fan inside the PSU be on at all times? When it is at 230v, and all other fans are powered on, the PSU fan does nothing whatsoever. Could this be a sign of a faulty PSU?
December 31, 2008 6:16:51 PM

Well ive got a new piece of information.

The voltage switch on the PSU was originally 230, (it should have been 115) and thats when everything was powering up like in my original post. When i flick the switch over to 115, the computer will not stay on. All of the fans will flicker for a split second but then the computer will fail to turn on.

Should the fan inside the PSU be on at all times while the computer is on? When it is at 230v, and all other fans are powered on, the PSU fan does nothing whatsoever. Could this be a sign of a faulty PSU?

I have tried different power cables and different power outlets to no avail.
December 31, 2008 7:43:54 PM

If your voltage should be 120V and you had the switch at 230V, you might possibly have caused damage to your system. What model is that old PSU (newer quality PSUs don't have a voltage selection switch) and does it have a CPU power cable?
!