Corsair h50 cpu water cooler

tonyr1512

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
I currently have a corsair h50 water cooler. Recently my motherboard took a dump and I had to send it out for an RMA, so of course I had to take everything off the motherboard. In doing so I took the cooler off with its preinstalled thermal paste type like solid. Before I sent it in I could run prime 95 and get max temps of around 51/52 degrees celsius and idle around 36. When I reinstalled I used arctic silver 5 thermal compound, now im idling at around 40 degrees celsius and prime 95 will get my cpu to about 60 and ill have to shut it off, I just did it yesterday and I know arctic has a break in period and I was wondering if it is due to that. I used the middle dot method and followed their instructions down to the tee. I used isopropyl alcohol with a q-tip and even the coffee filter. The only two things that I could think of is maybe my pea sized amount was too much little, but it really was a pea sized amount and in order to get the pump on the bracket it does require some about a 20 degree clockwise turn dont know if that has to do something with it?

Blckhaze

Distinguished
May 21, 2010
I have the LCLC cooler which is the same thing, and I also applied AS5 last week from the original stuff.

Not knowing what your CPU is and room temp is and various other things, I can't compare my end result temp to yours..

I can tell you I applied it 3 different times. I never used the pea method, I just squirted some on, took a thick sheet of paper and rubbed it out. The first time was too much, temps were a little higher than adverage.
2nd time i did a reallly thin layer. Temps were normal except one core of the i7 which was obnormally high so that made me uneasy.
3rd time I was determined to get it right. I put a layer about the thickness of 3 pieces of print paper. Ofcourse I had to rub it out and make it flat myself with a sheet of paper... making sure it was reallllly smooth to avoid air bubbles. It was just the right amount. Not paperthin, and not like cheese.

I then put the cooler head on and twisted it a few times to kind of thin it out (i was hoping) to the maximum thinness, and now the PC runs 1 degrees cooler than the paste that the LCLC came with... and some people say the paste it comes with is equal or better than AC5.

Who knows, hope that helps..

tonyr1512

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Well I have one of the most cooling required cpus on the market the phenom 965 c3 stepping 145 watts. When I ran the stock HSF originally I was getting the same results as now, but it was so freakin loud the fan had to kick in full throttle under full load. Now on full load with the arctic silver 5 I get as above previously. I'm about to think about reapplying the Arctic silver. I do have the cpu at 3.6ghz which only a 200mhz overclock on each core. The only thing of I think I did wrong was when I thought I had the Arctic silver 5 on too thick. I took the water pump off and wiped excess off with a coffee filter and did the middle pea sized dot method and let the pressure of the pump spread it out.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
There can be any number of causes for the increase temp. Your ambient temp may have risen since you last measured. It's summer time for NA.

You should go ahead and reapply AS5, maybe even buy a tube of something else and try it too, to eliminate possible causes.

tonyr1512

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2009
Well I did spot a slight cause the pump is only running at 1200rpm in hardware monitor pro and I crank it to 100 percent in the pwm options kicking it to 1400 plus rpms and the fan is automatic at 50 percent every boot to not that I mind that because the noise becomes loud after 60-70 percent. but im running prime 95 now for almost 20 minutes and my phenom 965 has not broken 58 degrees celsius. I just have to find a way in my bios to make it full throttle every boot, couldnt figure it out though, ill try messing with the bios some more.

Kraze7

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
It might also because the “break-in” period is not there yet. The compound that came with H50 doesn't need “break-in” period, but the new compound that you applied most likely will.

I think it was by Shin-Etsu the pre-installed compound.

cmcghee358

Distinguished

In your post here you list you have a C3 stepping @ 145W.

This confuses me

965 C2 is 145W
965 C3 is 125W

Are you sure you know which you have?

TRENDING THREADS