Q6600 60c idle

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
What could be the problem? At first it was idling around 45c on the stock cooler. Then, I arranged some cables and temps. rose to 60c. I'm sure there are no cables blocking airflow.

Sorry for being a noob, but I removed and reseated the stock HSF about 3-4 times WITHOUT adding thermal paste( i don't have any) Could this be the reason for the high temps?

Also, could you PLEASE tell whether the Thermalright Ultima 90 backplate will fit on the Intel DG31PR? Also, the PSU on top is just over the edge of the mobo. So, will the Ultima 90 clash with it?

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
You need thermal paste. No heatsink makes perfect contact with a CPU which is what thermal paste's for. Buy yourself a small tube of quality goop (Arctic Silver 5 is probably the best), clean every last bit of existing goop off your CPU and heatsink using high-percentage cleaning alcohol (as high over 90% as possible), put on a little AS5 (grain of rice size in the middle of the chip), and put back on your heatsink.

As for the backplate issue, it should fit since socket 775 heatsink holes are always in the same place, though if your PSU is coming over the motherboard at all then a large heatsink probably won't fit as they tend to reach to the top of the motherboard.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Isn't there some household material I could use as thermal paste temporarily? And can't I just wipe off the existing one with a tissue or something? Also, I don't mean it comes over the mobo, when you see it from the side, it is about a cm or 2 above it. Is that ok? Also, how is the paste that comes with the thermalright?

No.

Clean of the old paste. I use isopropyl alcohol and a piece of an old T-shirt. It's lint-free and I do not drink coffee. What does coffee have to do with anything? Coffee filters - the paper ones - are great for cleaning off the old paste.

Choice of thermal paste? I do not think that it will not make much difference - "much" being defined as more than 3 or 4 deg. C.

I recently changed from Arctic Silver AS5 to Ceramique. Didn't notice much difference.

How to apply:
http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=170&Itemid=1&limit=1&limitstart=5

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Will a Thermalright Ultima 90 with the paste that comes with it and a 92mm fan(low CFM) be better than the stock HSF with AS5?

Also, could you specifically tell me if the backplate can be installed on the DG31PR? I ask because I can see some soldering behind. Will this obstruct the backplate?

And I don't think the Thermalright Ultima 90 is a HDT cooler.

rags_20

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2008
Hi,
I don't mean I don't have thermal paste. When I installed the stock cooler, there was thermal paste than can pre-applied. But when I reseated the HSF, i didn't wipe it out and add new paste. Could this be the problem?