Recrudescent

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2004
I'm a civil engineer currently working on building the infrastructure for a new subdevelopment of ~50 houses, and we've run into a problem: the houses are supposed to be pretty high end houses, so we want to make sure they have broadband access and cable TV access, but none of the local broadband or cable companies will cooperate. We even offered to lay the cable, but still no go.

Then it occured to me that we might be able to start our own mini-ISP/cable TV provider just for the development. The problem with this is that not only do I have no idea how to do this or much it will cost, but I don't even know where I can look to find out. If anyone knows of a place I can learn about setting up a broadband-only ISP, your help would be appreciated.

Dev

Distinguished
Sep 18, 2001
The best bet would probably be to order a high bandwidth line from an ISP and share this between the tenants. Get a professional cable company to install ethernet to all the apartments, and then connect all this to a high end (multilayered) switch. You can get a service agreement on the switch and then the tenants only have to connect to the wall jack to be on the internet. The initial cost will be very high, but you will be set for a long time.
I do not know how to combine this with cable tv though...

---
My new years resolution is 1280 x 1024