40iPlay C/S audio player/recorder

April 29, 2004 10:17:49 AM

40iPlay C/S audio player/recorder

Plays: mp3, mp4, m4a, aac, ogg, wav, and more

- - -

iPlay Client includes:

A true, noise-free (no grating artifacts) 5-band equalizer, each band of
which can be configured for width and center frequency. The EQ has seven
EQ presets and 90 more that are programmable on a per-file basis.

HX DSP mode lets you wear headphones for extended periods without
wearing you down. Once you use HX DSP for headphone listening you'll
always want to use it.

SS DSP mode makes your two-loudspeaker stereo system sound as if there
were two to three times as many channels playing all around, without any
loss of bass, and with no phase problems. This is a smooth-sounding
surround. You may keep it there most of the time.

Built-in, multiple decoders of truly exceptional quality and low CPU use
(none comes close; others use at least twice the power and in most cases
5 to 10x as much CPU). CPU use is as low as a few percent, allowing up
to 10 hours of continuous playback on an iPAQ 3900, or longer with any
extended battery.

A built-in XScale (PXA250/255) CPU speed control is included, letting
you scale down to 100 MHz or up to 532 MHz (my iPAQ 2200 does 532 MHz).

Perfectly GAPLESS play lets you listen to live or run-through recordings
without any annoying breaks or ticks, the same as if you are playing the
CD. Gapless mp3 requires having encoded using a LAME-based (v3.90 or
later) encoder.

A finely-tuned cache lets you use a microdrive with near-CompactFlash
power use. A file takes only a few seconds to load, after which the
drive spins down. Gapless play is still realized. The x86 version of
iPlay also works fine for CDs (CD/DA .cda links), spinning them down
after load and playing perfectly gapless still, with full EQ/effects
processing available.

Recording is just a button press away. If you last exited in record
mode, you start up next time (a button press away) appending directly
to the same file you last recorded.

File selection is simple and powerful -- much more powerful and much
simpler to use than the file explorer or any scheme that follows that
method of selection -- a method that may be fine for beginners but it's
woefully inadequate for real use. Adding files, or groups of files,
based on wildcards, or directories, or single file picks, is fast and
easy. You can load any number of files to the main list, append to the
list, append a playlist's contents to the main list, add some more
files, a whole directory, all while playing.

Order of the main list can be by: load order (e.g., playlists load in
the order the entries appear in the playlist), sequence number (you can
renumber individual entries in the list using one hand by using the
joypad: up/down/left, or tap the entry's LED in the Q column -- no need
to move file entries up, down, and all around, over/under each other,
just tap them in the order you want them to be played, or for their
order to be saved in the playlist), title+artist/album,
artist/album+title, size, or in random order. All orders are stable; you
can go back to listen to the file you played 10 minutes ago. For truly
long lists (iPlay Client handles up to 40,000 files -- a size which can
be re-ordered in any of the above orders in only a second or two), a
Find title or Find artist is available, to locate to the nearest match
of the find criterion. Title/artist ordering is based on filename, not
ID3 tags, so ordering is instant -- there's no painfully slow lag as is
there when based on tags.

Playlist creation is a breeze, and works the same way you pick files to
play. The playlist is generated from the checked (numbered) contents of
the main list, saved in sequence number order. You can edit the playlist
manually, changing spelling, adding wildcards (even directories can be
wildcard'ed), without leaving iPlay, using the editor of your choice. A
single line in a playlist file can load all files of a given artist into
the main list ("*artistname*" would do it).

Other features include wake and sleep timers; tone generators, sweeps;
network analysis (switch to different APs, switch to different adapter
configurations, check signal levels, and many, many more network
features); ID3 tag display, Ogg & iTunes comments; variable speed play
(100, 110, 115...200% speed); battery logging (main and extended battery
charts of charge % over time, and current voltage); time bar seeking;
shoutcast play and record (using iConSrv); mp3 and wav record; complete
font control and selection for the main list, files/folder list, and
time digits fonts; DSP tone control of iPAQ audio; video screen
blanking; VU meters, including classic meters, bar-segment, and
bar-segment and real-time FFT frequency analysis (these meters are FAST
responding, not the toys you may have seen elsewhere that move once per
second -- these meters update 30 times/second); programmable button
control; graphics slideshow (jpg, gif, bmp), background image on-demand
extensions; backlight lamp level control; storage stats; and built-in,
online help that explains all features and buttons and controls and edit
fields in iPlay. It's easy to use, yet doesn't frustrate the power user.
It plays and sounds great.

iSrv is the optional server portion of ipcs, and is available for both
Win32 desktops and Pocket PC devices. The desktop version serves 18
simultaneous client connections (a limit based on the 320x240 icon space
for client icons), across the LAN or across the internet. The PPC
version serves three or more simultaneous clients. iSrv handles Wi-Fi,
ethernet, and Bluetooth (generic serial & PAN/network access)
connections.

http://40th.coma/

Plenty of screenshots are available, and a demo.
--
40th Floor - Software @ http://40th.com/
iPlay : the ultimate audio player for iPAQs

I'm very very interested about iplay, but the urls about 40th floor are
unreachable.
It is true that I can listen music throught wifi network with my pda
without breaks and stuttering even if I play a 320 Kb/s mp3?
Thanks
Andrew

!