Sign in with
Your question

Problem overclocking my ATI 5870

Last response: in Overclocking
June 8, 2010 4:20:32 PM

I got myself a shiny Powercolor ATI 5870 PCS+ when I built my new rig a month or so ago. Its been working pretty fine, but yesterday I decided to try and squeeze a bit more juice out of the beast.
I am a noob when it comes to OC'ing things though, I I've so far just relied on the Catalyst A.I utility to regulate the core and mem frequencies. It would seem, though, that these frequencies does not like getting regulated, because even with adjusting the mhz from 875 (stock) to ~920 my ATI driver crashes as soon as I load up a benchmark or a game. It is kinda odd, seeing as the builtin stability test in the catalyst AI says that these frenquencies are stable, which they clearly aren't.

So my question is. Will I simply not be able to OC my card, or am I doing something completely wrong that causes the driver to crash?
a b U Graphics card
June 8, 2010 4:36:03 PM

Try Lil' below 920 around 900 Mhz and see than if the issue presists....if yes something might be wrong with GPU driver i remember i even OCed my old classic FX5500 from 270 Mhz Core to 315 Stable and this's a mighty 5870 so why can't it bump even 45Mhz...! I recommend EVGA Precision tool it has a option to test the clock setting will cause any problem or not try this download it by googling..it works on Nvidia Geforce fine ain't sure about ATI give a try.......
Or try Riva Tuner,Power Strip, ATI Tool etc tools at least one should work fine if not problem with drivers sure try any other version Catalyst drivers..
June 8, 2010 5:10:47 PM

Not even at 900 mhz is it apparantly stable. The lower I go the longer it takes, but even at 900 mhz it will not run through a full iteration of the heaven benchmark without dying and giving me the "Drive was not responding but has recovered" message.

This happened yesterday under the 10.4 driver, and is still happening under the 10.5 driver I just installed.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 7:16:40 PM

The weird thing here is that there is no graphical artifacts which you would assume there would be if the card wasn't stable. The stability test in the driver software itself also says there is no problems.
But the driver still just dies. I dont get it.
a b U Graphics card
June 9, 2010 2:10:28 AM

Try some other softwere's to overclock and for 3D benchmark use 3D Vantage or try to run any other heavy game..Did the graphic driver even dies at stock speed(though a foolish question to ask but must ask)??If it does so something's wrong with PC OS you have to reboot OR SOMETHING FAULT IN GPU HARDWARE OR ITS SETTINGS LIKE VOLTAGE.....u can try to moniter its tempreture.
June 9, 2010 8:11:04 AM

No it does not crash at factory speeds (which is a slight OC already), and I've been using heaven benchmark for testing. Furthermore I've been trying to load up arma2, and it gives me the same result (A crash). It doesn't happen as fast as with the benchmark though it seems.
Also I have been monitoring the temp, and its stable at just above 50C under full load.

Oh, and I also tried MSI afterburner. Same result.
a b U Graphics card
June 10, 2010 6:43:24 AM

feriluce said:
No it does not crash at factory speeds (which is a slight OC already), and I've been using heaven benchmark for testing. Furthermore I've been trying to load up arma2, and it gives me the same result (A crash). It doesn't happen as fast as with the benchmark though it seems.
Also I have been monitoring the temp, and its stable at just above 50C under full load.

Oh, and I also tried MSI afterburner. Same result.

If its already overclocked by factory then you should increase the GPU Core voltage to get more overclock over it but i didn't reccomend overclocking a already OCed Radeon HD5870 ...................................the other option is :
Then if have Crossfire supported board then u should install one more GPU to increase performance that only what can be done though it will be bit costly but better than frying or messing with the thing already you own...
!