Best bang for the buck AM2+ mobo

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I've got an old Athlon X2 4200+ S939 system I was thinking of giving a little boost in performance.

So what I was planning on doing was getting a Phenom II x4 and a decent AM2+ mobo for this system and now I am looking for a recommendation.

My requirements are as follows:

1. I perfer ASUS or Gigabyte but I'm willing to look at others if they come well recommended.

2. SLI Support I've currently got two 8800GTXs not doing much good with the 4200+ which I still want to be able to use in the new system.

3. Hardware RAID 0 support (preferably one that isn't a "bushog" like the controller on the current ASUS A8N32-SLi Deluxe which causes sound to be "choppy")

4. Some overclocking potential would be nice but I'm not gonna spend hours on overclocking a secondary system

If you have any ideas about what I should be looking at I would appreciate it greatly.

IH8U

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2007

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
What about a C2D/Q alternative? Same requirements ofc, seems to be quite scares with alternatives there as well considering SLi

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007
Well ,,I am presently pushing an AMD 7850 on a ASUS M2N-E mobo and am thinking of upgrading the mobo in the near future and so have been snooping around as it were ,,and,,for my needs the best mobo that I have looked at so far has been the Gigabyte GA-MA790FX-UD5P..
As I tend to buy only black edition AMD cpu's ,,,, lazy man's overclocking... :)
Plus,and this is a biggie for me ,,is the location of the floppy connector,a lot of mobo's have said connector way down below the last pci connector not good in a server case....:)

vectorm12

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
I don't really care what CPU I put in the machine if it's a AMD or Intel or however a quad is probably the best bet as I would be using this machine to transcode videofiles on the side of my main system. About selling the GTXs it's not a bad idea however I wonder if I can really get 100$ a piece for them even on eBay, is there anything special about those cards I can't remember?