cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
I've been looking into the Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus for about three weeks now, and I was pretty set on it a few weeks back until the price went from $30 and free shipping on Newegg to $59 and a $7.50 shipping charge. Shortly thereafter it went out of stock, which I'm assuming is why they hiked up the price. Seems like a pretty popular cooler.

I do prefer to buy from Newegg. I have a line of credit which allows me to be a bit more flexible on purchase dates, but I won't buy if I can't pay it off in the statement period that I buy hardware in. Because it's a Newegg preferred account, I get free rush processing on all orders. It's also convenient when it comes to sales tax from my state come tax time - all of my internet purchases are in one place and I don't have to hop to multiple sites to calculate what I owe. So I would like to stick with Newegg.

With that out of the way, my budget is around $50 including shipping. Not really willing to go over that.

My processor is a Phenom II x2 555BE. I have successfully unlocked the additional two cores, and it remained stable for the half hour that I ran Prime95 before I decided CPUTIN @ 60c (24c ambient) was hotter than I would like it to be. Same with ACC disabled and a 3.8ghz overclock (1.375 vcore) that hit core temps of around 65c. For some reason, at least when I'm running it as a dual core, my CPUTIN is always lower than my core temps, which is why I was concerned with the quad core CPUTIN temps.

With that said, I don't plan on going over 1.45 vcore and 4.2ghz, and I'd say it's more likely that I won't go over 1.4 vcore and 4ghz (if I can make it to that point) with ACC disabled. As a quad, assuming it lasts a full 8 hours of prime at 3.2ghz just so I'm more comfortable with it's unlocked stability, I don't plan taking it over 3.6ghz. It will end up being a pretty light-weight overclock

On cooler size, I'm sure it won't be an issue because the larger ones tend to be more expensive, I can't go much if any larger in width than the Hyper 212 Plus because my case won't accommodate it. I have a top mounted PSU and I'm slightly concerned about my northbridge heat sink height causing clearance issues. I have a fairly wide case (7.25" from the top of the CPU to the case cover), so I'm not as worried about cooler height.

In my LGA 775 system I have an original Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro on a C2D E6550 running at 1.2975 vcore at 2.96ghz and at load it would top out at 50c. I've considered the Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2, but I haven't found many positive reviews on it overall, and none that really include AMD systems to the degree that I would like to see. However, the Freezer 64 Pro has caught my eye a time or two, and I'm almost to the point of buying this open box HSF due to the low price and my experience with the original Intel model.

I'd be very interested in your budget recommendations, and to a certain degree your pricier recommendations with justification. I don't think I need that monster cooler (Noctua NH-D14 / Prolimatech Megahalems for example), but I'm not opposed to the suggestion and waiting a few weeks to increase my budget a bit if I'm moved.

In the case that it may help, here is my case and motherboard.

Thanks a ton for your input, I really appreciate it.

Solution
Even Microcenter is jacking up the price, a couple of days ago it was $19.99

Get it quick before they are at $50 too.

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
And an additional question. The bracket on my motherboard is oriented in such a way that if I purchase a HSF that uses that bracket through the wide side of the heat sink, the orientation of the heat sink will be toward the top of my case.

This isn't necessarily a bad thing since my PSU has a 140mm exhaust fan that pulls air in from the case and out the back of the PSU, but I'm not sure whether it will increase PSU temperatures past acceptable limits. Does anybody have experience with this? I'd certainly prefer the HSF to exhaust out the back of the case, but that may not be possible.

i4yue

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
google.com type in 212+ cooler then click on 'shopping'

there are exactly 991 results for 212+ cooler. of course some of them arent the cooler themselves but there are plently of places you can buy this cooler other then new egg.

cookies

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
Out of the 28 results on Google, there were only 3 vendors I trusted. Amazon, Overstock and Newegg. Amazon and Overstock are both either out of stock or backordered, and Newegg is an arm and a leg.

So I went ahead and begged Newegg for a discount, and they gave me a $10 discount. So, at least shipping is covered and I can get it in three business days instead of a month.

Still upset about the price, even with free shipping.