Sign in with
Your question

No beep, no display-after upgrading mobo and CPU...HELP!!!

Last response: in Motherboards
May 15, 2009 3:24:15 PM

Hi people! Today I replaced my motherboard and CPU-connected everthing correctly, and pressed power button...It started like BIOS, with "Phoenix technologies" logo and information that I have processor AMD X2 7750...On the bottom there were 3 options: to press F8, to select boot device, then F9 (I think!) to enter setup and third was DEL, to enter something after POST...I pressed F9, and nothing happened, then again after a minute or so, nothing...Any key I pressed nothing happened! Then I turned off the power, unplugged it acctually (I know, I am stupid!)...Wanted to do same process again, but after powering on the comp, there was no beep, or display on the screen...There is power, CPU fan is running, monitor does seem to know it is connected to base unit, because when I pull the VGA cable out, it starts to search for signal...Motherboard is Biostar MCP6P M2+...I tried to reset Bios by clearing CMOS and taking out bios battery for more than 30 min...What have I done wrong and how can I have normally operating computer?
It was Acer Aspire T180 (year 2007), AMD Sempron 3500+, some Foxconn mobo, but modified by Acer so it fits "their needs", AM2 socket, Hitachi HD 7200 rpm, 250 WAT PSU, integrated video nvidia 6100/405 nForce...
I wanted (I did as well) an upgrade of mobo and cpu...New mobo (the one that give me headache now!) Biostar MCP6P M2+, also integrated video, but 512 MB...New cpu AMD X2 7750+ BE...
They are all compatible, I have checked that many times, many different sites and programs for compatibility...PSU is not the problem...As I have said, it must be the motherboard...I am not saying it is faulty, it is just I don't know how to go around this first start up...MANY THANKS!!!
May 15, 2009 3:39:28 PM

cmick25 said:
Hi people! Today I replaced my motherboard and CPU-connected everthing correctly, and pressed power button...It started like BIOS, with "Phoenix technologies" logo and information that I have processor AMD X2 7750...On the bottom there were 3 options: to press F8, to select boot device, then F9 (I think!) to enter setup and third was DEL, to enter something after POST...I pressed F9, and nothing happened, then again after a minute or so, nothing...Any key I pressed nothing happened! Then I turned off the power, unplugged it acctually (I know, I am stupid!)...Wanted to do same process again, but after powering on the comp, there was no beep, or display on the screen...There is power, CPU fan is running, monitor does seem to know it is connected to base unit, because when I pull the VGA cable out, it starts to search for signal...Motherboard is Biostar MCP6P M2+...I tried to reset Bios by clearing CMOS and taking out bios battery for more than 30 min...What have I done wrong and how can I have normally operating computer?
It was Acer Aspire T180 (year 2007), AMD Sempron 3500+, some Foxconn mobo, but modified by Acer so it fits "their needs", AM2 socket, Hitachi HD 7200 rpm, 250 WAT PSU, integrated video nvidia 6100/405 nForce...
I wanted (I did as well) an upgrade of mobo and cpu...New mobo (the one that give me headache now!) Biostar MCP6P M2+, also integrated video, but 512 MB...New cpu AMD X2 7750+ BE...
They are all compatible, I have checked that many times, many different sites and programs for compatibility...PSU is not the problem...As I have said, it must be the motherboard...I am not saying it is faulty, it is just I don't know how to go around this first start up...MANY THANKS!!!

250 watts is a mighty small PSU by today's standards, and while you may have some of it's circuits functioning, you may not have all of them.
May 15, 2009 8:02:56 PM

55795642 said:
250 watts is a mighty small PSU by today's standards, and while you may have some of it's circuits functioning, you may not have all of them.

I know and you are right...But, I have to stress that I went online to many different power calculator sites and first I put my original settings/hardware and it said 205 WAT is needed, and then I put what I was planning to be upgraded version of my retail comp, and it said 219 WAT...So, it is not that big difference...Have to admit I was planning to buy OCZ 600WAT PSU even before upgrading...Even though I am not a gamer, I do like to play games sometimes...That is why I wanted to be ready if I ever upgraded my video card, acctually bought one dedicated, as nowadays I use onboard video, which has served my need flawlessly...Thanks for your answer and good intentions...
!