Cas Latency and System Performace Question

jsanfelippo

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
I'm looking at building a new computer soon and I have a quick question regarding Cas Latency and how it will affect performance system performance. At the moment newegg has a great combo deal on the AMD 955 & Corsair XMS3 memory (http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.192694). The Cas latency for the Corsair is 9-9-9-24. The memory that I was originally going to buy was OCZ Reaper at 7-7-7-24. Both memory kits are 2x2GB DDR3 1600 and the only difference is the timing. The total price for the combo deal with Corsair memory is $282.00 after rebate. The total price with the OCZ memory would be $299 after rebate. Is the extra $17 worth getting the OCZ? Will there be any real noticeable performance difference?

Thanks in advance!

John

festerovic

Distinguished
Actually, thought of one other thing: The tighter timings of the OCZ are indicative of better ram, and will probably let you OC the RAM to a much higher speed when you set the timings to the slower 9-9-9-24 settings. If you are not going to OC the living hell out of your rig it probably won't matter.