My Fan is Squeaking!?!?!

f1racer8292

Distinguished
Dec 13, 2008
I just recently built a new computer, but I have never encountered this before?! Something in my case is squeaking. I pretty sure it is one of the fans. I'm going to test which one, but how do I get it to stop squeaking?It is starting to get very annoying!
Thanks

A stethoscope works great for isolating noises in cars and computers both.

Most fans in your system can be replaced. None of them can be oiled or repaired in any way.

Even the fan in a PSU can be replaced sometimes.... but only if you really know what you are doing. PSUs are dangerous to poke around in.

yipsl

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2006
I've encountered this before. It's usually a faulty fan. You have to isolate which fan is the issue. Try unplugging one fan at a time and see if the noise stops, then you'll know which fan is the issue.

Don't unplug the CPU fan though, modern CPU's need their cooling.

Another common noise from crowed cases are when unused molex plugs are up against a fan (especially a CPU fan) and make a louder more abrasive noise. That's why tying them out of the way are the next best thing to a modular PSU, where you only use connectors you need.

Cheap aluminum cases that are too thin can vibrate too, but that's usually noticable only if you have it on your desktop.

dokk2

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2007

I beg to differ with you,I have on many occasions lubricated all my fans with a little grease and a drop or two of lighter fluid,[thins out the grease a little] of course the lighter fluid must be allowed to evaporate,which it will easily do,underneath the label on the fan there is either a small plug or not that is where you lube the sucker,the last fan that I did was the northbridge running at 6000rpm made a sound like a cat being fried and such a little thing,believe me it works like a charm ...:)