Sign in with
Your question

Even at stock settings my Phenom X4 9950 BE temps are high

Last response: in Overclocking
June 8, 2010 7:28:14 PM

I have a QuadCore AMD Phenom X4 Black Edition 9950, I was going to try and overclock it but before I do decided to run prime95 with speed fan running to keep an eye on the temps. Idle Temps range from 40-46 but on prime test temps rise to 65+ stopped it at 65 as thought was to high.

But yet in bios i set safety shutdown settings to 65 (the pc did not shut down tho). I have tryed Everest and CoreTem they are all saying the same things as speed fan.

The motherboard is a biostar TA770 A2+ inside the case I have one big fan pushing air in at the front one big one at back sucking it out and small one at side also sucking air out.

So are the temps normal what is high temp for a Phenom X4 Black Edition 9950. Thanks for any help you can give me.
June 8, 2010 7:42:08 PM

I've the same CPU as you. I recommend that you put FAN of the side pushing air and not sucking it. Also check if CPU cooler is clean and apply thermal compound if necessary.
a b K Overclocking
June 8, 2010 7:42:18 PM

Not another horrible biostar board, your board only list 95w and under cpus so I suggest a better board if you are wanting to overclock as for cooling you need a better cooler. Stock isn't always the best for higher wattage cpus but there is plenty of choices out there.
Related resources
June 8, 2010 7:50:17 PM

I though that if you put a 140w CPU in a mobo that support less you fried it :o 

nforce4max said:
Not another horrible biostar board, your board only list 95w and under cpus so I suggest a better board if you are wanting to overclock as for cooling you need a better cooler. Stock isn't always the best for higher wattage cpus but there is plenty of choices out there.

June 8, 2010 7:57:17 PM

andregoujon said:
I though that if you put a 140w CPU in a mobo that support less you fried it :o 

Cant do I have had the board and cpu for over a year and half now
June 9, 2010 2:16:43 PM

sorry for double post cant edit them for some reason but would replacing the board lower temps?
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 2:19:29 PM

It depends but most likely they will be more or less the same. However you do need a more modern board if you ever want to upgrade to a better cpu in the long term while overclocking will be much more possible than this pos biostar board.
June 9, 2010 3:09:40 PM

ordered

https://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?id=34147

I know its not the best but I have read few reviews and they seem good + its compatible with AM3 processors so if i decide to upgrade my cpu at later date I haave the option. With 5 kids i have to work on very tight budget.
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 3:55:53 PM

Not a bad board if I say so my self. It will fair better than the old board.
June 9, 2010 4:07:34 PM

Since i rearly need to get my temps down could you/would you recommend any coolers of this site under £20 I know its not much but im scraping the bottom of the barrel

http://www.cclonline.com/

a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 4:24:36 PM

Cooler Master Hyper 212+ is awesome. It's around $30 USD and it's what I use and it does great. Just be sure it can fit into your case as it is a monster heat sink.

http://bit.ly/9uHzxo

June 9, 2010 6:06:03 PM

btw thanks guys for being patience with me i know lot noob questions all have to start someware
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 6:06:38 PM

It will fit, you got more than enough room.
June 11, 2010 10:15:03 AM

Well received the motherboard and a new psu yesterday installed them both yesterday. Temps went upto 55-57 idle was not happy but though may as well wait until today when new cooler arrives.

Installed the cooler now I'm happy idle temps 38-39 everest 20 mins stability test full load temps not gone over 50.

Will run prime soon to test it. I will run prime for few hours later hopefully all will go well :) 

Below is link to the psu

http://www.cclonline.com/product-info.asp?product_id=24...
June 11, 2010 1:26:02 PM

Keep in mind it can take some time for the thermal paste to settle in, when it does your temps will drop a bit more.

Glad to see you getting the temps under control, I was worried reading all these posts that you could have burned up that CPU with the high temps you had.

And it seems to me you need more air flow thru the case....maybe a better exhuast fan some time soon could help, IMHO the mobo temps should read 5-10c lower than CPU temps, that will be a good sign youve got enough air coming thru the case.

Regards, Dead
June 11, 2010 2:12:35 PM

Motherboard temps are fine average 30-33 and cpu running stable at 42.

Its stupidly hot weather today so that i think will increase temps a little but tbh im happy with current temps and all seems to be working ran prime for one and half hours early and temps maxed at 52. Will leave prime running overnight just to check for stability.
!