How is this for air flow inside my computer case?

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
I have a cool master CM690( http://www.coolermaster.com/products/product.php?act=detail&id=2908) case.

i havent assembled anything yet cause i wanna install the fan 1st.
heres my current setup

amd phenom II x4 940
4gig memory
750w psu
1tb hd
dvd burner
gfx card(currently using a cheap 1.. will buy a better one later)

my case can have 7 fan installed at one time. i have been reading stuff bout air flow inside the case.. and heres wut i drawn up.. (pardon the crude art skills)

airflowz.jpg

Im tryin to create a postive air pressure inside my case. so there wont be as much dust.

onl the bottom and rear exhaust are filtered..

is this a good fan setup?

can anyone recommand some good fan for my need? <$10/fan with blue LED

in principle good, in reality massively overfanned, you could probably turn half of them off and get just as good temps, I'd advise you to see what happens turning them off one (pair?) at a time, unti you see temps rise and then put an extra input fan on to maitain positive pressure.

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
hmm... thats kinda cool..

I might get that....

i just have a couple of questions

i was goin over the schematic for my mobo( gigabyte MA790x-ud4p

Heres wut it says

1x cpu fan(ob for CPU cooler)
1x PWR fan( for PSU fan..? not sure)
1x SYSFAN(4pin)
1x SYSFAN(3pin)

wut exactly is sysfan?

are those for my Case fans? 4pin controls speed?

if so.. then that means i only can hook up 2 of my case fan to the mobo?
or does the case fans plug dir into the psu and just Power ON everytime i turn on the system.

and that

You will need 3 pin (not 2 pin) fans to control the speed of the fan. 2 pin fans have no speed control. The MB will monitor the sped of the fan 3 or 4 pin you connect to those MB fan headrs. Of course, use 3 pin case fans with that fan controller I listed. I have it it, it looks nice and works great. Just turn the fan down if the noise bothers. 8)

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
so my current mobo.. with only 2 SYSfan.. can only have case fan?

if i wanted more fan i need to get that fan controller?

and also when i said LED.. i meant the fan has led.. like blue lit fan..

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
ok, after checkin the connection of the fan on the case..

i see that the fan actually have a small 3 hole plug.. with an another small 2 pin white plug plugged in.

and on the end of that wire. there is 4 pin molex white plug.
which is have wires comin out of it and connectin to another 4 hole molex white plug.

so im really confused...

how do i connect the wires..?

directly to the psu? or does it go through the mobo?

Belinda

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2004
Your airflow will be wibbly wobbly and in some places swerly werly.

I've never been a fan of a billion and one fans on a case, at a certain point all that happends by adding further fans is an increase in noise.

Another point which people should have picked up on, why filter an exhaust fan?? Dust is hardly going to get in through the torrent of air being blown out. It's the places the air is coming in that need a filter.

replicat0r

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009

the filter is preinstalled... should i make that bottom fan an intake?

the case is gonna be on carpet floor.. i donno if thats a good idea...

if not then im prolly gonna have to move the filter to the side or somthing...

deandulong

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I have that same case, intakes are the front, bottom and side (just one in the bottom vent for vid card cooling), exhaust are back and top x2, as for hooking up your fans the rear and bottom plug into you mother board the rest either hook up to the power supply using the 4pin to 3pin adapter or to a fan controller. hope this helps. and as for putting it on a carpet floor lay a piece of wood or something on the floor first or better yet get the case up off the floor at least a foot or two.