dal19722003

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
dose cpu paste have break in time. if use little or lite on the paste now but in safe range for max temp,will it thin out more in time?

dal19722003

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
Yes it needs to break in. It needs several cycles of hot then cold, then hot, then cold, etc before it properly fills all the gaps and such.
Stay in school.
ha i have been out school for17 yrs now and still learning more stuff.

2 YEARS?! Sorry my newbie friend, that is the wrong answer...

From the Arctic Silver website:
Important Reminder: Due to the unique shape and sizes of the particles in Arctic Silver 5's conductive matrix, it will take a up to 200 hours and several thermal cycles to achieve maximum particle to particle thermal conduction and for the heatsink to CPU interface to reach maximum conductivity. (This period will be longer in a system without a fan on the heatsink or with a low speed fan on the heatsink.) On systems measuring actual internal core temperatures via the CPU's internal diode, the measured temperature will often drop 2C to 5C over this "break-in" period. This break-in will occur during the normal use of the computer as long as the computer is turned off from time to time and the interface is allowed to cool to room temperature. Once the break-in is complete, the computer can be left on if desired.

dal19722003

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2009
its take 200 hrs to see if i have seated the heatsink and right amount paste to know temperatures drop. i have run my computer 200 hrs=8.3 days for computer running time that long time to know if something that work better.. I avg a day on computer 4-6 hrs. I hate waiting... :(

I have been using Arctic Silver AS5 for about three years. And I know what the website says (200 hours). I have not noticed a significant ("significant" being defined as more than a couple deg. C.) drop in CPU temperatures between initial installation and a couple of weeks later.

The last time, I changed to Arctic Silver Ceramique. Again no significant temperature drop.

By the time you run the BIOS through several OC cycles, the temperatures that you see will be the ones you end up with.

TRENDING THREADS