XFX nForce 750a mobo
Phenom 9750
4gb Corsair memory
BFG GeForce 9800 GT OC pair in SLI mode
Latest nvidia GeForce display driver
24" Soyo topaz II LCD monitor
Vista SP1 x32
I am not overclocking

Everything works great. I use native display resolution of 1920x1200 60 hz. SLI and Physx.

However, after rebooting, the resolution reverts back to 1024x768 thus scrambling the desktop icons and causing me to have to reset the resolution each time.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled the display driver to no avail. What can I do to get the resolution to stay put?

gc3333

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2009
Thanks for your suggestion. And I discovered what was causing my problem. I have a 2-way DVI-to-DVI KVM, and when the KVM was switched to the other PC during the subject PC's booting process, I realized after lots of trial and error that that was when the problem would occur. After researching more, what I found is that with many LCD monitors and with many modern video cards, the monitor DDC information is not retained unless the monitor is electrically connected during boot up. So my video card didn't know what kind of monitor it was supposed to be adjusting for, and the resolution would thus revert to the default 1024x768. Once I realized the problem and began booting only when the KVM was switched to that PC, the "problem" went away.

During my research, I also discovered that there is actually a device available to bypass this problem. It is called a "DVI-D DDC Ghost" and is a little box that connects between the PC video card and the KVM switch. When the KVM is switched to the other PC, this little box retains the DDC information and provides it to the video card. However, at about $50-$60, it isn't for everyone.

It would be nice if someone knows and could share a way to accomplish this without the addition of more hardware!