Does my computer have good airflow? *UPDATED PICS*

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
So My question is, is my airflow good for 24hr use if turned into a server?

The only fan that was in this computer was the exhaust fan with an air duct channeling cool air through the cpu heatsink. I've added a new INTAKE fan, aswell as a very small Northbridge fan because it can burn you're skin after watching a movie on the computer.
I connected the two extra fans via the 12 volt leads on 2 extra molex connectors (Highlighted in Green). Cold air is sucked through the front of the case passing through the two Harddrives seated vertical.

UPDATE:
The amount of dust... just makes me speechless. Put the fan in the front, zip-tied it down, and soldered on a blue "power" led to replace the tacky green one. I guess the dust was the reason why I didnt feel any air coming out of the back.

PICTURES:
IMG_0057-1.jpg

IMG_0059-1.jpg

IMG_0063-1.jpg

IMG_0064-1.jpg

OLD SETUP:
IMG_0056copy.jpg

Heres some specs of the Dell:
CPU - Intel Pentium 4 (2.6Ghz) Single core
Ram - 3GB of Kingston DDR ram.
Case: Factory Dell Case
Mobo: Dell Mobo
CD/DVD Drives: 2 generic dell drives (one can't burn discs anymore)
PSU: Generic Dell PSU (Wattage Unknown)
Video Card: On-board Intel Integrated Graphics
(One of the capacitors on my old GFX card decided to burst when playing gta:sa one day)

Solution
20mm? I bet you mean 40mm....

Good job on dusting and the fan. Is the green shroud staying on or off? Might want to test it both ways and see what helps. Hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt that front fan will do much good. Not with those drives in the way.

4745454b

Titan
20mm? I bet you mean 40mm....

Good job on dusting and the fan. Is the green shroud staying on or off? Might want to test it both ways and see what helps. Hate to burst your bubble, but I doubt that front fan will do much good. Not with those drives in the way.

Solution

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010

I think mine is a 40mm aswell, (the NB fan I installed)

The green duct has to stay on as it lets the exhaust fan suck all of the cool air directly through the CPU heatsink.

To be honest, If I put my hand near the top of the HDD theres plenty of air being pushed through, its a lot better than all of that dust in the way thats for sure!

Also It cools the HDDs down, as they get kinda hot.

When I get a chance Im going to attempt to put the HDDs horizontally so that even more air can get in! Im curious to see what the panty hose will look like in 20 days.

BTW with the green duct off, not much air passes through the heatsink and it gets hot.

ninelivesproductions

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
oh you meant the cover? Well to be honest there is no way of me being able to monitor the temps exept for touching the heatsinks with my bare hands as the Pentium 4 doesn't support ANY temp monitoring program and the bios doesnt have it either. The rear fan blows air out sucking air through the duct.

4745454b

Titan
Kinda hard for me to tell. The only 40mm fan I have laying around right now uses clips and not screw holes so its a bit wider. With the quarter on the corner like that its hard to tell how much of side it takes up. 40mm fans are the smallest I've seen, I'd be surprised if there was a 20mm.