How do I erase all data

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
Hey guys this is the situation. I have a seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB HDD and it has Win 7 on it. However I njust changed motherboards and I wanna do a fresh install of Windows to avoid any errors. I still have the old install and drivers from the old board on my HDD. What is the easiest way to erase the entire old install along with the old drivers?? Any help would be appreiated thank you

bigj1985

Distinguished
Mar 12, 2010
nope there is nothing I wanna keep can you explain to me in a little more depth kinda like a step by step?Lol. I know I amsorry I have never needed to reformat or erase a drive b4 and this is not an OEM pc. Thank you for your help.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
At the very beginning of using your Win 7 Install disk, look for the option to Delete any and all Partitions that already exist on this HDD unit. Once that's done, don't bother to manually Create a new Partition, etc., etc. All the Partitioning and Formatting you need will be done as part of the normal Install process on the (recently-emptied) HDD.

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
IMPORTANT "By the way" note. All the advice above assumes you don't want ANYTHING saved on that HDD, so doing things this way will destroy not only your OS, but also all the installed apps and data files. If that is not what you want, you will need to make a full backup of the unit before proceeding., then do a restore afterward. The trick will be to restore without overwriting the new Windows Install.