Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

First overclock - success so far

Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 9, 2010 5:09:26 AM

Just built my system

gigabyte x58a-ud3r
i7 930 @ 3.6ghz (will probably push higher)
thermalright ultra 120 extreme
two 5870s

Something I want to know is, I put the core voltage at 1.18750 to ensure stability, but when I look in CPU-Z I see it at 1.152. Is there a reason for this? Or something I should change? Everything seems 100% stable so far. I will probably run prime overnight.

My temps are looking like: 37 37 38 35 idle
and: 59 61 61 58 load

Do these seem right? I understand there's a 200 hour period where I might lose 1-2 degrees with the paste, but ya...

Thanks

Edit: not really a huge deal, but with my haf 922 where is the best place to put the heatsink fan?

More about : overclock success

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 6:01:28 AM

you can 'aim' the airflow either up to the roof fan (fan on bottom of hs)
or into the rear exhaust fan,(Fan on the frontmost side of the hs
either should be ok imo.
Yes, some thermal pastes have curing times of up to 200 hours, but post your paste brand and people will have a better idea if yours does or not,
Cant help you on the voltage point though, sorry
Moto
m
0
l
June 9, 2010 6:21:13 AM

Motopsychojdn said:
you can 'aim' the airflow either up to the roof fan (fan on bottom of hs)
or into the rear exhaust fan,(Fan on the frontmost side of the hs
either should be ok imo.
Yes, some thermal pastes have curing times of up to 200 hours, but post your paste brand and people will have a better idea if yours does or not,
Cant help you on the voltage point though, sorry
Moto


arctic 5
by frontmost you mean near memory?
is it normal that one core might be at 33 idle and the other at 37 on i7? I'm coming from e8400 and they were usually the same.
m
0
l
Related resources
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 6:50:10 AM

yes, by frontmost I mean the fan is mounted on the hs with the fan closer to the front of the case than it is to the rear of it,this pushes the air through the hs towards the exhaust fan at the rear.
And cores often show different temps, I shouldnt worry too much unless its a huge difference,
Moto
m
0
l
June 9, 2010 6:59:00 AM

strange cause
speedfan shows temp at 45c at load and
real temp shows at 57

but ya I still need info from anyone about the volts
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 7:21:04 AM

Softwares often show different tempsI've found,
but Speedfan seems to be a reliable monitor in my experience.
the voltage thing, youve set it in bios to 1.18750v, but cpu-z is showing you the voltage in realtime, so 1.152v is what its actually pulling to the chip as far as I can make out, Brain tired, must sleep, hope you get a bettter answer mate
Moto
m
0
l
a c 207 à CPUs
a c 148 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 4:58:39 PM

Pointing the flow up from the heat sink is against manufacturer recommendations, at least for those using heat pipes which most of the betetr ones do. Read about why here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

For the purpose of this article, all CPU-coolers have been orientated so that heatpipes span from front-to-rear with fans exhausting upward and not top-to-bottom with fans blowing towards the rear of the computer case. This removes much of the gravitational climb necessary for heatpipe fluid working to return to the heatsink base. In one specific example, the horizontally-mounted ProlimaTech Megahalems heatsink cooled to a temperature 3° better than when it was positioned vertically. While this difference may not be considered much to some people, hardcore enthusiasts will want to use every technique possible to reach the highest overclock possible.

As to your voltage variation, read about "vdroop".

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126

m
0
l
June 9, 2010 9:49:09 PM

JackNaylorPE said:
Pointing the flow up from the heat sink is against manufacturer recommendations, at least for those using heat pipes which most of the betetr ones do. Read about why here:

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...

For the purpose of this article, all CPU-coolers have been orientated so that heatpipes span from front-to-rear with fans exhausting upward and not top-to-bottom with fans blowing towards the rear of the computer case. This removes much of the gravitational climb necessary for heatpipe fluid working to return to the heatsink base. In one specific example, the horizontally-mounted ProlimaTech Megahalems heatsink cooled to a temperature 3° better than when it was positioned vertically. While this difference may not be considered much to some people, hardcore enthusiasts will want to use every technique possible to reach the highest overclock possible.

As to your voltage variation, read about "vdroop".

http://www.thetechrepository.com/showthread.php?t=126


Ok I'm confused with all these orientations. If I place my heatsink where the fan is mounted right near my memory, is that ideal? Blowing air through the heatsink and out the back?
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 6:20:08 AM

As I read Jacks response, yes thats exactly what hes saying,
Ty for the input Jack :) 
Moto
m
0
l
June 13, 2010 2:34:46 AM

Ok my temps are 32 32 34 28 idle (not sure why that one is lower), and about 55 55 56 51 load. Currently I am at 1.18750v on my core, do you guys think if I raise it slightly to 1.2 and change my multi to 19 and my bclk to 200, my system will be cool and stable?

My system is currently at 21x 171mhz @ 1.18750
m
0
l
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 7:36:41 AM

Those temps look fine to me tbh, I dont see any need to raise the voltage unless your having problems?

You can always add a couple of more fans if you want but I'd leave it as is for the time being.

for stability testing, run prime 95 a couple of times is probably best advice I can give.
Moto
m
0
l
a b K Overclocking
June 13, 2010 2:08:14 PM

portal said:
strange cause
speedfan shows temp at 45c at load and
real temp shows at 57

but ya I still need info from anyone about the volts



A few months ago I read here that speed fan has a bug and displays temps 15 degrees lower than other monitors such as HW monitor. I was getting 15 degree idle temps with my i3 and stock hsf in speed fan.
m
0
l
June 14, 2010 4:13:43 AM

cromedome said:
A few months ago I read here that speed fan has a bug and displays temps 15 degrees lower than other monitors such as HW monitor. I was getting 15 degree idle temps with my i3 and stock hsf in speed fan.


ok I'm going to trust real temp
m
0
l
!