Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

What Wattage do I need for this config?

Last response: in Components
Share
March 29, 2009 3:55:21 AM

What is a good Power supply for this rig,

Asus 790 Motherboard AM3/DDr3
Phenom II 940 Deneb quad
6 gig ddr3 ram
DUEL GTX 260 (216) SLI
10k raptor hdd
and adequate cooling, nothing fancy just several fans

Would a 750 watt cover this without strain or is a little more horsepower required?

Thanks in advance

More about : wattage config

March 29, 2009 4:16:43 AM

Ummm

Well 750 should be fine
But u have SLI on an AMD motherboard??
Related resources
March 29, 2009 4:36:38 AM

I would go safe and get an 800-900 watt PSU. If the PSU's your looking at are around 300 bucks then get the Ultra 100 Watt PSU, it's modular and a great buy with plenty of room for expandibility.
March 29, 2009 4:49:01 AM

mamw93 said:
I would go safe and get an 800-900 watt PSU. If the PSU's your looking at are around 300 bucks then get the Ultra 100 Watt PSU, it's modular and a great buy with plenty of room for expandibility.


$300??? why on earth would someone pay that when Corsair makes an excellent 850w PSU that can be had for 129.99.

I see Jared beat me to it...stupid URL button sat there "loading".


Quote:
But u have SLI on an AMD motherboard??
Good point!!!
March 29, 2009 4:56:30 AM

Yeah I have SLI on a AMD motherboard...is there something wrong with that
March 29, 2009 5:03:55 AM

weequayx said:
What is a good Power supply for this rig,

Asus 790 Motherboard AM3/DDr3
Phenom II 940 Deneb quad
6 gig ddr3 ram
DUEL GTX 260 (216) SLI
10k raptor hdd
and adequate cooling, nothing fancy just several fans

Would a 750 watt cover this without strain or is a little more horsepower required?

Thanks in advance


Here, find out what you really need: http://www.antec.outervision.com/
March 29, 2009 5:09:19 AM

weequayx said:
Yeah I have SLI on a AMD motherboard...is there something wrong with that


Well its not that its an AMD motherboard per se, but its the fact its an AMD chipset that's a problem, it is limited to Crossfire. SLI is NOT possible.
March 29, 2009 5:24:47 AM

my suggestion would just be to go with ati for this build man nvidia currently has doo doo chipsets out =\ so you could crossfire two 4870s for the price of two 260 (216) and the 4870 would win in the performance and value department.
March 29, 2009 5:45:39 AM

So...if ATI/AMD could just get their drivers to be as easy and trouble-free as nVidia's we'd be all good, eh?
March 29, 2009 5:49:50 AM

Eh drivers aren't so bad anymore there newfound hardware succeses more then make up for it. And i don't really think this is an appropriate thread to start with fanboyisms, just trying to help a guy choose some parts.
March 29, 2009 12:43:11 PM

JaredAudiophileGamer said:
Eh drivers aren't so bad anymore there newfound hardware succeses more then make up for it. And i don't really think this is an appropriate thread to start with fanboyisms, just trying to help a guy choose some parts.


I could never care enough about a graphics card maker to be a fanboy. There's just too much interesting stuff out there to be into...graphics cards aren't one of them for me.
March 29, 2009 2:53:30 PM

cliffro said:
Well its not that its an AMD motherboard per se, but its the fact its an AMD chipset that's a problem, it is limited to Crossfire. SLI is NOT possible.


So you are saying as long as I have a AMD 6000+ I will not be able to make use of SLI
March 29, 2009 7:33:16 PM

No, What I'm saying is that, as long as you have a motherboard with an AMD chipset like the 790X/GX/FX you can't use SLI. I know of plenty of people using SLI with AMD CPU's.

but you will be limited to using a motherboard with an Nvidia Chipset. Which appears to also be limited to DDR2. IF you insist on SLI.
!