What Wattage do I need for this config?

What is a good Power supply for this rig,

Asus 790 Motherboard AM3/DDr3
Phenom II 940 Deneb quad
6 gig ddr3 ram
DUEL GTX 260 (216) SLI
10k raptor hdd
and adequate cooling, nothing fancy just several fans

Would a 750 watt cover this without strain or is a little more horsepower required?

Thanks in advance
14 answers Last reply
More about what wattage config
  1. This should be more then adequate.
    CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready $109.99 (20.00 Mir)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139006
  2. Ummm

Well 750 should be fine
    But u have SLI on an AMD motherboard??
  3. I would go safe and get an 800-900 watt PSU. If the PSU's your looking at are around 300 bucks then get the Ultra 100 Watt PSU, it's modular and a great buy with plenty of room for expandibility.
  4. if you really want to be paranoid about it then this is my suggestion, but to be honest 750 is more then plentiful for two 260s however if you plan on going to some 285s in sli in the future sometime then here ye go.

CORSAIR CMPSU-850TX 850W SLI Ready $129.99 (20.00 MIR)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139009
  5. mamw93 said:
    I would go safe and get an 800-900 watt PSU. If the PSU's your looking at are around 300 bucks then get the Ultra 100 Watt PSU, it's modular and a great buy with plenty of room for expandibility.

$300??? why on earth would someone pay that when Corsair makes an excellent 850w PSU that can be had for 129.99.

I see Jared beat me to it...stupid URL button sat there "loading".

Quote:
    But u have SLI on an AMD motherboard??
    Good point!!!
  6. Yeah I have SLI on a AMD motherboard...is there something wrong with that
  7. weequayx said:
    What is a good Power supply for this rig,

Asus 790 Motherboard AM3/DDr3
    Phenom II 940 Deneb quad
    6 gig ddr3 ram
    DUEL GTX 260 (216) SLI
    10k raptor hdd
    and adequate cooling, nothing fancy just several fans

Would a 750 watt cover this without strain or is a little more horsepower required?

Thanks in advance

Here, find out what you really need: http://www.antec.outervision.com/
  8. weequayx said:
    Yeah I have SLI on a AMD motherboard...is there something wrong with that

Well its not that its an AMD motherboard per se, but its the fact its an AMD chipset that's a problem, it is limited to Crossfire. SLI is NOT possible.
  9. my suggestion would just be to go with ati for this build man nvidia currently has doo doo chipsets out =\ so you could crossfire two 4870s for the price of two 260 (216) and the 4870 would win in the performance and value department.
  10. So...if ATI/AMD could just get their drivers to be as easy and trouble-free as nVidia's we'd be all good, eh?
  11. Eh drivers aren't so bad anymore there newfound hardware succeses more then make up for it. And i don't really think this is an appropriate thread to start with fanboyisms, just trying to help a guy choose some parts.
  12. JaredAudiophileGamer said:
    Eh drivers aren't so bad anymore there newfound hardware succeses more then make up for it. And i don't really think this is an appropriate thread to start with fanboyisms, just trying to help a guy choose some parts.

I could never care enough about a graphics card maker to be a fanboy. There's just too much interesting stuff out there to be into...graphics cards aren't one of them for me.
  13. cliffro said:
    Well its not that its an AMD motherboard per se, but its the fact its an AMD chipset that's a problem, it is limited to Crossfire. SLI is NOT possible.

So you are saying as long as I have a AMD 6000+ I will not be able to make use of SLI
  14. No, What I'm saying is that, as long as you have a motherboard with an AMD chipset like the 790X/GX/FX you can't use SLI. I know of plenty of people using SLI with AMD CPU's.

but you will be limited to using a motherboard with an Nvidia Chipset. Which appears to also be limited to DDR2. IF you insist on SLI.
Ask a new question

Read More

Power Supplies Configuration Components Product