Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Thuban 1090t heatsink??

Last response: in Overclocking
June 9, 2010 6:42:00 AM

I have been looking through tons of coolers to find the right one. I watched a video and the stock
cooler didn't look half bad, but probably not going to be able to clock that high so I canned that idea.

I have heard lots of people say get the H50 while others boycott use of it. I watched a video on the
CoolIt Eco and it seems pretty nice and haven't heard the word on it yet.

Anyways I am trying to find a nice affordable heatsink for the 1090t, I want to know what should I get it?

I have had plans about the Tuniq Tower 120 extreme or the Hyper 212+.
So let me know which one I should get, or which one you would get!

*Its going in a HAF-X on the CH4 RoG*
thanks

More about : thuban 1090t heatsink

a c 292 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 3:47:19 PM

Hi.

U can see here the best coolers for AMD.
m
l
June 9, 2010 5:57:35 PM

I have been looking at two coolers but I am afraid there to heavy. Is there a certain weight limit
to be stay below???

The Frio and the new Spire Eclipse 2, are what I like the most. The Eclipse is what I really want but
its N. W. I am guessing Net weight is .822 KG and the G.W. is 1.3KG, I am guessing general weight like with fan or something, but that is 1300 grams and the Frio is 1042 grams, so were not talking about some
light Hyper 212+.

So on a Crosshair 4 in a HAF-X, I was wondering if I am crazy, but do you think that I should get something
lighter like the 212+???
m
l
Related resources
a c 292 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 6:03:01 PM

The high end coolers comes with a back plate that is installed for distributed the weight of the mobo in the back side, so u shouldn't be worried about the weight of the mobo.
m
l
June 9, 2010 6:09:58 PM

Well then, the frio is already out, but the spire seems to not be released anywhere I can find. But
they seem to be the exact same price.
Well if the Spire isn't out then I will just get the FRIO!!
m
l
June 9, 2010 6:59:18 PM

I have plenty of cash for a cooler, I had two red fans with the hyper 212+ so thats 70 bucks
I can use for a heatsink.

I always had the idea that that direct contact heatsinks are the best compared to non direct contact.
Is this true?? I mean look at the Hyper 212+, both 1 and 2 Eclipse's, tuniq tower and others.
Even the frio is rated lower than the eclipse 2 and i think its cause the direct contact.

So I guess my first pick is the Spire Eclipse 2, then the Frio. Hopefully the Eclipse is 60 also.
I wish the the 1090t's stock cooler was good enough, but I don't think it will hang like these bad boys.
m
l

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 7:33:01 PM

The Hyper 212+ is among the best AM3 coolers you can get for around 30.00 and it will keep the 1090T nice n cool even at high clocks.
June 9, 2010 7:37:31 PM

Well its not on frostys list, but I know from reviews that its just as good as any. At stock for 30 its bomb, but
with two fans added, its insane.
I was going over the spire, and I am not sure its coming to america. The frio just doesn't have what I want
besides cooling.
The Hyper 212+ is probably what I am going to get, cause even with two fans its only like 50, then I
can use its stock fan for the air duct on the HAF-X.
The tuniq tower, is sweet, but my entire rig is red, so I would end up spending 72 just on it, and
I wouldnt be able to use its stock fan cause its blue.
m
l
June 9, 2010 7:42:59 PM

I found the 212+ at frys for 37 w/ shipping, then my gpu and HD are at tigerdirect, and the rest is at newegg.
m
l
a c 292 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 7:53:47 PM

^Good deal since the Hyper 212+ is around $70 on the egg w/ shipping.
m
l
June 9, 2010 8:08:43 PM

I know what a rip, Frys is just as good as any place and 30 bucks and 7 for shipping.
Here is my layout of the computer:
1090t
Crosshair 4
HAF-X
Corsair HX750(I get additional 30 off with the 750 and not the 850) +20mir
Windows 7 home 64
G skill Trident 4gb 2000 16000
Kaze Master Pro fan controller
200mm and 2x 120mm CoolerMaster fans
Asus DVD
Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 500gb-above at newegg for 1255 w/ shipping +20mir
Asus DirectCu 5850-at tiger for 330 w/ shipping (they have a HD for 40 after mir, I will get it if its still there)
Hyper 212+-at frys for 37
Combined total=1622 w/ shipping and 1602 after rebates!!

This is still an estimate cause the HAF-X doesn't come out till the 15th or 16th, so the egg might have
some combo deal!! And sells might be better or worst when I actually make the purchases.

Anyways if I get the 212+, do you think I should use the paste that comes with it??
m
l
a c 292 K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 8:15:52 PM

^When I get the Hyper 212+ i used the thermal grease that cames with the cooler.
m
l
June 9, 2010 8:38:52 PM

Wow, 60 bucks for a hyper 212+ on newegg... On newegg.ca, it's only 30 bucks
m
l
June 9, 2010 8:41:44 PM

Well there trick is putting lower price tags and charging tons for shipping, its 39$ w/ shipping.lol
Eh, I can search around, maybe if I buy a few things from frys or where the 212+ is maybe I can get
free shipping!!!
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 8:42:43 PM

Not sure what you did wrong but I put that 212+ in my cart and they are only charging me 9.40$ for shipping..I live in Texas..
m
l
June 9, 2010 11:40:48 PM

Utah, so maybe I will try it again. I must of put a puerto rico zip code.lol.
I just double checked and it says the same thing.
m
l
June 10, 2010 12:29:09 AM

Well the egg is a monopoly where price/demand gives them liberty to put whatever price cause everyone
is still going to pay it. Obviously I wouldn't do knowingly but geez, what a rip, I thought they were
going to drop back when they got back in stock. Maybe if no one buys any they will drop it back.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 12:39:03 AM

The reason why they jacked up the prices is due to the cooler being so popular, since many will spend whatever on that cooler they can care less what others think of the price. But charging double is just plain crazy, you can get a Thermalright Ultra or a Frio for that price.

m
l
June 10, 2010 12:43:21 AM

Your right cause most people probably heard good things about it, and figured there going to spend 60
on cooler either way. I thought about it but I rather get it for under 40 w/shippn and get x2 CM Red led's.

I would say it is the most popular fan on the market, but what made it so popular is that is was only 30 bucks. You see what i am saying, I wonder how popular it would of been if they charged 60 like everyone else.
m
l
June 10, 2010 4:59:28 AM

The 212+ is easiest pick over anything. I would just use the stock fan esp. with the 1090 it didn't
look so bad. It actually looked more like an after market with good build quality. A lot better than
most cpu's stock heatsinks. But 37$ isn't breaking the bank.

I decided to get a 60gb ocz sdd instead of the 4 fans and fan controller which adds to 90$.
These can easily be added later, a lot easier than the sdd would. I would have to reinstall windows 7 all
that good stuff. But same stuff from earlier minus the above adding the sdd it is=1636w/ship & mirs.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 5:09:30 AM

I need an SSD...

But im not paying an arm and a leg for it... I guess I will wait till the 256Gb comes down to about 100.00$, this of course in 2020..

Funny thing is the fact that SSD's are cheaper to make compared to platter drives, the only reason they are more $$ is because they are faster..Same as the thumb-drive all over again...
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:37:36 AM

Well I am getting the 1tb 7200.12, and I figured that should be enough for everything even
though it isn't 6gb/s, I want this cause its on sell for 40$ w/mir.
I have just been told to get one if I want my computer running super fast, which is cool, as long as I
am getting my $140/120mir worth. But for 120$ I could get a number of things, mainly even just save cash, what I thought of doing is getting the 6gb/s for 100$ but that seems silly when I can get the 3gb for 60$ cheaper.
Do you think that the sdd is worth spending that 140?? I could almost buy the Matrix instead.lol.
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:56:33 AM

Let me ask you a question, K, I could get the Matrix but only if I got the 965(newer) instead, and minus
just the fan controller, but keeping the 3 fans. Do you think this would be a better solution?

I figure the 1090 is the ultimate, plus future proofed and is more targeted for all my multi-tasking. Then
again my current cpu is AMD 64 3500+, which is super weak from 5 years ago, so I am thinking that even the
965 would be fast for me. and since the mobo has plenty of fan spots that wouldn't be a huge problem.

One last thing is, what ever card I get I probably won't be doing any upgrades as far as graphics go, since
the eah5850 is probably going to be gone soon, its not even on the egg. So I thought I might as well
get her done now with the Matrix. Then again I could wait for the 975 or something, but, anyways
what do you think?? matrix over 6 cores?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 2:25:22 PM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Well I am getting the 1tb 7200.12, and I figured that should be enough for everything even
though it isn't 6gb/s, I want this cause its on sell for 40$ w/mir.
I have just been told to get one if I want my computer running super fast, which is cool, as long as I
am getting my $140/120mir worth. But for 120$ I could get a number of things, mainly even just save cash, what I thought of doing is getting the 6gb/s for 100$ but that seems silly when I can get the 3gb for 60$ cheaper.
Do you think that the sdd is worth spending that 140?? I could almost buy the Matrix instead.lol.

No, a Matrix would be a better buy over an SSD if you are a true gamer, SSD's are meant for people that have cash to burn, a platter drive is not going to hold you back when it comes to games, the loading times will be longer but nothing to worry about. Later on you can add an SSD if needed, but don't expect your games to run faster, thats not what SSD's are meant for.

m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 2:32:07 PM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Let me ask you a question, K, I could get the Matrix but only if I got the 965(newer) instead, and minus
just the fan controller, but keeping the 3 fans. Do you think this would be a better solution?

I figure the 1090 is the ultimate, plus future proofed and is more targeted for all my multi-tasking. Then
again my current cpu is AMD 64 3500+, which is super weak from 5 years ago, so I am thinking that even the
965 would be fast for me. and since the mobo has plenty of fan spots that wouldn't be a huge problem.

One last thing is, what ever card I get I probably won't be doing any upgrades as far as graphics go, since
the eah5850 is probably going to be gone soon, its not even on the egg. So I thought I might as well
get her done now with the Matrix. Then again I could wait for the 975 or something, but, anyways
what do you think?? matrix over 6 cores?

The 965 is should be more than enough for anything you will be doing, right now there is virtually no program that benefits from a 6 core CPU other than transcoding, rendering, etc.

You dont need a fan controller for now, leave that on your list for later unless you cannot stand your fans at 100% all the time. You can also connect your fans to the mobo and manually set them in the bios if needed.

Newegg doesnt have any DirectCu's at the moment but there are many other sites that do. Most people that live in the states are buying them off of zipzoomfly since they are actually cheaper than the egg (320.00$) free shipping.

The matrix is one hell of a card, when overclocked it can meet or exceed the GTX 480 in most games.
m
l
June 10, 2010 5:44:28 PM

Well from what you said I have decided on this. Since nothing that "I" will do, will need a hex core, and
the 965 is the ultimate gaming machine and can even handle the heaviest of tasks, so thats -120$.

Then since the CH4 has 8 fan controllers, and i have 7 case fans, and want 2 red leds on my 212+, I
can buy a some kind of splitter, or just get the one red led, but I heard when doing push pull configs, that
both fans should be the exact same. If not I can always just use the one fan it comes with! So that
puts down -50 for controller.

Since I am more of a gamer who hasn't done this for a long time, I do want the Matrix for a couple of reasons.

First, dont get me wrong the directcu 5850 is superbadass for the money, having direct contact, and stayingcooler than most cards, while being able to go at stock 5870 speeds. But, here soon I will
have 2-3 23" acers, so I am going to need 2gb's of vram. 2nd if a sdd is only to boot my computer up faster, well then i am not one who needs to be in a hurry. Plus the Matrix/CH 4/HAF-X were meant to be together!!

So here is my config:
AMD 965- newer stepping one http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

HAF-X- assuming its 200$, and hopefully there is some kind of combo I can utilize.

Crosshair 4

HX750-I save almost 100$ by getting this instead of the 850, then I only plan on one Matrix, I am barely going to be able to handle the one.lol

Asus Matrix- Super badass

G.Skill Trident-On the list of recommended 2000 16000 on gskill, plus on TOMS it is rated the best memory
under 150$.

Windows 7 64bit oem

Asus DvD drive-http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
I didn't think it mattered which dvd drive I got, so I got the matching asus, with the all the highest speeds.
These are all at newegg for 1500$ after mir

CM 212+ is at Frys electronics for 37$ out the door

and then Tiger has the Seagate 7200.12 1tb for 40$ after MIR, and they have the 200mm red led for 17.99

Didn't mean to go so long but, the grand total is 1601.85, which still gives me room to buy some
flexo wrap for sleeving some wires, maybe get two cm red leds and a 2/1 splitter, and what not.
But even if not, its the real deal for the money!!

m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 6:41:24 PM

Yea that config. sounds better. If you are going to sleeve your cables make sure you buy tech-flex, all the other brands are not up to par and fray easily.

Example :

http://www.xoxide.com/techflex5.html

m
l
June 10, 2010 6:51:04 PM

Did you seee my other post??
Well I said I wanted the F6 or flexo, but I went to the main site and I decided on F6, flexo uses velcro.

I have looked at xoxide, but I have been at frozencpu looking at it.

K, on my other post I asked which measurements are for what in a case.
Mainly I want to sleeve the fans, front i/o panel, and the HX750 handles the rest.

So what sizes should I get for these pieces?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 7:15:06 PM

Salt-City_Slasher said:
Did you seee my other post??
Well I said I wanted the F6 or flexo, but I went to the main site and I decided on F6, flexo uses velcro.

I have looked at xoxide, but I have been at frozencpu looking at it.

K, on my other post I asked which measurements are for what in a case.
Mainly I want to sleeve the fans, front i/o panel, and the HX750 handles the rest.

So what sizes should I get for these pieces?

Trust me you want tech-flex, one package has more than enough sleeving for a single computer.

You will need scissors, lighter and a heat gun or blow dryer for the heat-shrink, you cut the amount that you need for the cable and you use the lighter to melt the tip of the sleeve to prevent fraying. Then you slide a piece of heatshrink at the end on the connector and use the heatgun or blow dryer for to shrink it.

This is the outcome (rear exhaust fan "red sleeve") :

m
l
June 10, 2010 7:19:00 PM

What do you mean by one package? They sell it by the foot on frozen.
I just want black on mine maybe a good red.

Do you have a link to where you got your "package".
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 7:21:04 PM

Did you click on the link I provided above? The xioxide link.

I purchased one red and one blue and still have tons left. It has 4 different sizes for the sleeving and the heat-shrink, also comes with zip-ties (same color).
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 7:51:58 PM

You measure, you cut, you pull the wire/cable through the sleeve and you finish it off with the heatshrink.. No wrapping anything around anything..
m
l
June 10, 2010 8:10:58 PM

Well that does look cool but the red doesn't look red.lol.
I think I will just get the F6, that way I just wrap it around without using any tool to remove stuff.
Even though red UV would be cool, then later I would have to get a red cathode to enhance it.

I think I will just stick with the Techflex F6, I am still not sure if it actually needs heatshrink??
According to the main site, it shows it as something that comes off/on in two seconds, so
I don't believe I would need heatshrink.

I thought about the flexo, but the velcro thing is kinda weird.

This is what I will get:
1/8= 10feet
1/4= 10feet

These two are the smallest, and all I really want to do is the fans and the front panel wires, so pretty
much any wire that is hooking up to the motherboard cause it will be seen.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 8:15:43 PM

I dont use anything other than tech-flex so I cannot give a recomendation on other sleeving kits but the F6 is not wrap around sleeving, its basically the same as tech-flex but you buy it by the foot as far as I know..
m
l
June 10, 2010 8:24:03 PM

I am looking at it on frozencpu, and it shows that you pull it open, and put the wire in it and wrap it up.
With nothing else, just the sleeve. It is made from TechFlex, its just a different style, like flexo or PET.

The flexo is pretty cool its just that the 1/4 is the smallest and its $1.50 a foot.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 8:25:56 PM

if you like how it looks and it is easier for you then go ahead, I was just giving you an example of what I use.
m
l
June 10, 2010 8:46:22 PM

Well I made me a drawing of the HAF-X with the pieces i chose, and then I made a side panel, to show
what exact pieces would be showing. Most the front panel wires will be on the bottom of the board
where you won't be able to see. Most of the front panels wires aren't bad looking besides for the blue
usb3 wires, which I might want to sleeve.

Plus I did a map of where the fan connectors are and there is three on the left and two on the bottom
and those will be out of site. Then the three on the top might be seen but thats because of the fans
on the heatsink.

I also figured that the air duct that has the 120mm fan, doesn't fit with the 5970, so I assume it won't
fit with the Matrix, that takes one fan out, which gives the exact number of connections w/ 2 red leds
on the 212+. I sent a message asking CM, so I will know for sure soon, I rather be able to use it, but
then I would have to buy a Y splitter for the heatsinks fans.

So i am still debating on doing it. I think I i will see how good the three leds do, then decided if I want more
red with UV wires and cathodes.
m
l
June 12, 2010 4:50:30 AM

well I am getting close to ordering, just waiting on the HAF-X so I am looking through some last adjustments.
I found the 212+ for either 27 or 30, or 36 at frys. Which ever has it in stock will get the order.

I was looking over some Matrix benchmarks and I noticed the V2 didn't all that bad. Besides for some
awesome technology the matrix has, the V2's benchs are comparable.

So I am double thinking the video card. The V2, Matrix and 5850 Directcu are all good canidates
that will get the job done and I just don't want to spend that kind of money on the matrix if its not
worth it.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2010 9:30:51 PM

The Matrix is an awesome card, but you also have the option of buying a DirectCU and saving that extra $$ for a second one down the road. Dual 5850's will obliterate a single 5870 no matter what model you buy.
m
l
June 12, 2010 9:37:33 PM

Well I have been thinking hard about it, and the local shop had 2x 5770 for under 200$ and I bought them.lol.
He had some kinda shipping error and there brand new not opened but there just chilling right here until my build.

There were a few reasons why besides the good deal. Well after the build I am not going to have that much cash cause I am
in college and I am using my leftover F.A. for the build. So I am probably not going to have another 300 to drop on another
5850. I figured I have a better chance at buying a third 5770 if anything.

It was a impulse buy but I figure I better jump on it. I went and read some reviews and these 2 are hands down better than a 5850 and comparable to a 5870. I also read that 3 way is actually worst than 2 way. IDK if this is true.
Anyways the HX750 has plenty of watts and amps, and it has 4x 6+2 pin. So I have plenty of hookups.

I still can return, he said if it's unopened he will take it back for full refund. So what you think??
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2010 9:49:02 PM

If you got 2x 5770's for under 200.00$ then you got an amazing deal, almost half off retail.. IDK, I guess I would keep the 5770's but remember once its time to upgrade those you will need to sell them and that is the actual pain in the arse. It's all up to you, think about your upgrade path and your budget ;) 
m
l
June 12, 2010 9:53:28 PM

Well I threw him a ten spot, so it came to 200$. I was going to buy a case from him, cause he uses 50 of the same case.

I found another review that shows 2x 5770 better than 5850 and beats the 5870 sometimes. I still need to figure out
about 3 way cfx. If it is worth the extra 150 or whatever then I want to plan on it later. Cause I can save a 100$ easily.
Again I read that a 800 watt psu is recommended for 3 way, so I might want to think about getting the HX850 instead.

What do you think, I heard that once you go past 2 cards things get complicated?
m
l
a b K Overclocking
June 12, 2010 10:31:00 PM

no, Tri-5770's are actually pretty good. A a good 750w will power all 3 just fine. The 5770's are energy efficient. The downside is the fact that you might get errors when playing certain games.
m
l
June 12, 2010 10:38:43 PM

Cool, well on another post someone put in my attention that these two can't do three way. I would need to buy a Sapphire or something else and put it in the middle because the CuCores only have one spot for one CFX connector.
But its good to know the 750 will work. They have 4 6+2 pins, so I will even be able to put four in if I had the desire, but then
I would need to get a 4 way board instead of th crosshair 4.

m
l
June 12, 2010 11:24:09 PM

I was wondering do these cards do the 3 screens?? I only have one 23" now but I will probably get another one by the end of the year and hopefully have 3 altogether. I don't think there is anything else I need to know about them.

I was looking through the HardDrives and I can't seem to find the right one. Which ones would you recommend getting??
m
l
Related resources
!