Sign in with
Your question

Antec 900, 902, and CM 690 with a GTX 260

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2009 5:45:35 AM

Can someone tell me which of these cases would be better for cooling. I am building an i7 rig and my last step is to get a case. I really like the price and what you get for the 900 but I ahve been reading reviews where people have said that this case with the GTX 260 55nm is a very tight fit. I would like to eventually OC a little and SLI this card but if it is tight with just this one then I am not sure how the cooling would be with another card.

Would the 902 be better? It is the same size case but just a little wider? Is that worth the money or I could go with the CM 690 which seems like a good deal for the dollar.

I would prefer to not spend more then $130 ($100 is my real desire) and the shelf my computer sits on is only 20.5" long so that limits the cases as well..

Please let me know if any of you have used the GTX 260/280 in combo with these case and the results.

Antec 900 $100
Antec 902 $126
CM 690 $80

Thanks,
a c 144 ) Power supply
March 29, 2009 2:48:24 PM

I have an Antec 900 case and I'm using a GTX260. I have 3 hd's in the lower bay. The GTX fits fine.

I would regard the fit of a GTX260 as "snug" not tight.

SLI may be a different matter. You would need to move drives around if you need more than a couple. Because I do not plan to go SLI, I do not worry.

March 29, 2009 4:37:31 PM

jsc said:
I have an Antec 900 case and I'm using a GTX260. I have 3 hd's in the lower bay. The GTX fits fine.

I would regard the fit of a GTX260 as "snug" not tight.

SLI may be a different matter. You would need to move drives around if you need more than a couple. Because I do not plan to go SLI, I do not worry.

Thanks for the reply. I may never do SLI either, but I just didnt want to have to buy another case if I decided to go that route in the future, so I am trying to buy a case that will last.

Does this case keep your whole computer cool, including your i7 processor and 260 card? Do you have a processor cooler?

Thanks for the information.

a c 144 ) Power supply
March 31, 2009 4:25:11 PM

Don't have an i7; running a Q9550 OC'd to 3.6 GHz. with a TRUE heatsink in a GA-EP35-DS3P motherboard.

Cooling is excellent. I'm running the case fans on LOW. CPU temps under Prime95 load are 58 - 61 C. Changing case fan speed does not seem to make much difference. I have the HSF oriented vertically. I figure that warm air rises; why fight physics.

Note: the 900, and probably the 902 also, does not come with a system (case) speaker.

The CM690 is also pretty popular - and a bit less expensive - and it reportedly does not have the cable management problems that the 900 has. But I really like the cooling capacity enough to overlook the flaws - some would say "many" - of the 900.

You will need an HSF. If you are not going to overclock, the stock Intel HSF is good enough. Overclocking will require and aftermarket heatsink. The Xigmatek HDT S-1283 is a popular choice.
!