June 9, 2010 12:15:12 PM

first time poster so take it easy on me

my specs are
Asus P5b Motherboard
Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 2.4 ghz with Zalman 9500 heatsink
Geforce 9400 GT 512 Mb
2.5 gb ddr2 ram with 1 1gb stick and 3 512 sticks
running windows 7 64 bit

i've always wanted to overclock my processor but for some reason i've always had heat issues with the processor.. the processor runnin about 48c with the cores around 42c after watchin hd netflix all night...
to me those temps seem rather high

i've tried reapplying the thermal grease several times over the couple of years i've owned it and it never mades a difference.
if it makes a difference the backplate for the heatsink is the original intel one because its stuck on with some adhesive and i don't wanna break my mb tryin to get it off

now i always thought the zalman was supposed to be a pretty decent heatsink, but maybe i'm mistaken
i have heard that some of the earlier core 2 duos had issues running hot... and i did get it like the day they released core 2 duo...

whats your opinion on the matter?

More about : e6600 bit hot stock

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 12:41:25 PM

Not sure where you're getting your information from, but 48C is absolutely fine.
m
l
June 9, 2010 12:50:10 PM

ok... wasn't sure.. just for reference what temperatures would be considered too high to be safe
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 9, 2010 12:55:22 PM

That processor has a TJ max of 95C, you still have a lot of overhead to overclock your CPU.

A safe zone for that CPU would be 80's C. If you cooler is a 9700 or 9900, more than likely you will reach FSB limit before thermal limit.
June 9, 2010 2:13:17 PM

Best answer selected by son2kel.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2010 4:53:24 AM

flyin15sec said:
That processor has a TJ max of 95C, you still have a lot of overhead to overclock your CPU.

A safe zone for that CPU would be 80's C. If you cooler is a 9700 or 9900, more than likely you will reach FSB limit before thermal limit.

Tj of 95C? and safe zone of 80's!??? are you serious?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...

The safe zone would be 60-70 max for a stable and reliable system.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 5:32:35 AM

darkguset said:
Tj of 95C? and safe zone of 80's!??? are you serious?

http://processorfinder.intel.com/details.aspx?sSpec=SL9...

The safe zone would be 60-70 max for a stable and reliable system.

Yes. you are correct. I used my old E6850 Coretemp reading, which was TJmax of 95C as reference. Intel has since released the DTS spec depending on your revision, it could be TJ of 70C or 80C.

However, I still believe OP will reach FSB limit before he reaches any throttling temps.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2010 5:41:13 AM

flyin15sec said:
Yes. you are correct. I used my old E6850 Coretemp reading, which was TJmax of 95C as reference. Intel has since released the DTS spec depending on your revision, it could be TJ of 70C or 80C.

However, I still believe OP will reach FSB limit before he reaches any throttling temps.

That is probably true, i only wanted to interfere because of the excessive temperatures i saw and prevent the guy from frying his CPU. Unfortunately the CoreTemp software still gives erroneous reports on the Max junction temperatures, so one should consult at least 2 references and the manufacturer's website for a more accurate description.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 5:55:22 AM

Honestly, it wouldn't really matter what the TJ Max was set to on the software. If it was set at 100C TJ Max, the DTS would still read the distance correctly, as if it was at 70C or 80C. The software would adjust the "guessed" core temp base on the distance.
m
l
a b à CPUs
June 10, 2010 7:48:53 AM

flyin15sec said:
Honestly, it wouldn't really matter what the TJ Max was set to on the software. If it was set at 100C TJ Max, the DTS would still read the distance correctly, as if it was at 70C or 80C. The software would adjust the "guessed" core temp base on the distance.

I don't know how CoreTemp works. I thought the programmer was using predefined values from a database table with the published temperatures. If it is dynamic, then you are right.
m
l
a c 172 à CPUs
a c 197 K Overclocking
June 10, 2010 8:14:56 AM

A 9500 is, by today's standards, an average - or below average - HSF. Otherwise, Zalman would not have come out with the larger 9700 or the really large 9900.

Whether you are using RealTemp or CoreTemp, stay under a load temp of about 70 C. Two thing will prematurely kill a CPU - sustained operation at either higher than recommended voltage or higher than recommended temperatures. That's generally a problem only if you are overclocking.

Intel's recommended maximum voltage is 1.50 volts.

But like flying15sec said, 48 - 50 C is perfectly fine.
m
l
!