119 satellite signal

Last response: in Home Theatre
May 31, 2004 5:24:08 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? I thought it was just my system,
live near Philly, pa, so I called my father-in-law, lives about an hour
north of me, and same thing for him. I thought it was a tree or something
for me, but he has absolutely nothing in his view. I usually got mid 80s to
low 90s on the above transponders, but now am mid 60s to low 70s. Even
numbers are still ok, mid 80s. Any one else have same problem, or ideas?

---

More about : 119 satellite signal

Anonymous
June 1, 2004 9:37:39 AM

"shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
> bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? >

Are these the transponders that carry HBO-HD and HDNet? These channels drop
out entirely. Sometimes they are there and sometimes not. I called Directv
about it but they told me it was a problem with my receiver and I should
have it serviced.
Anonymous
June 1, 2004 4:08:31 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

I have also been having problems with 119. Normally I was getting low 80's.
The last week it has dropped to low 60's and below and I have been losing
picture and sound. I thought it was the trees, but I get low 90's on 101 and
it is still low 90's. This morning I get no signal on 119. We get our locals
on 119 and we are not too happy right now. I tried to realign over the
weekend it did not help. I plan on checking all connection and cleaning them
today.

"shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
> bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? I thought it was just my
system,
> live near Philly, pa, so I called my father-in-law, lives about an hour
> north of me, and same thing for him. I thought it was a tree or something
> for me, but he has absolutely nothing in his view. I usually got mid 80s
> low 90s on the above transponders, but now am mid 60s to low 70s. Even
> numbers are still ok, mid 80s. Any one else have same problem, or ideas?
>

> ---

June 1, 2004 5:52:01 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

They are moving the new satellite into position at 119. Thaet are moving
channels over to the new satellite. Some have reported that problems
similar to yours have cleared up.

"kroche22" <kroche22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> I have also been having problems with 119. Normally I was getting low
80's.
> The last week it has dropped to low 60's and below and I have been losing
> picture and sound. I thought it was the trees, but I get low 90's on 101
and
> it is still low 90's. This morning I get no signal on 119. We get our
locals
> on 119 and we are not too happy right now. I tried to realign over the
> weekend it did not help. I plan on checking all connection and cleaning
them
> today.
>

> "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV
119
> > bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? I thought it was just my
> system,
> > live near Philly, pa, so I called my father-in-law, lives about an hour
> > north of me, and same thing for him. I thought it was a tree or
something
> > for me, but he has absolutely nothing in his view. I usually got mid
80s
> > low 90s on the above transponders, but now am mid 60s to low 70s. Even
> > numbers are still ok, mid 80s. Any one else have same problem, or
ideas?

> > ---

June 2, 2004 2:46:24 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

In article <YlGuc.6797$bD4.902@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
"shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> writes:

> Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
> bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29?

DirecTV 7S has recently arrived at 119, and DirecTV is presumably in the
process of doing final checkouts and moving content from DirecTV 5 (the
old satellite) to 7S. As a result, there'll be temporary glitches like
this for at least a couple of days as they fine-tune everything. These
glitches may vary by area, too, particularly for spot-beam locals, as
they get the satellite positioned and otherwise configured exactly as
they want.

Of course, any given person's problems could be local, too; but I'd hold
off on getting service for a few days, until 7S takes over completely and
becomes more stable. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and forums (like
http://www.dbsforums.com) for news about what's going on.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

June 4 is the date they announced for a whole group of new local channels.
They are sticking to this date as I await local service so we should see a
fix any time now.
"Vince Stone" <vstone@spamadelphia.net> wrote in message
> They are moving the new satellite into position at 119. Thaet are moving
> channels over to the new satellite. Some have reported that problems
> similar to yours have cleared up.
>

> "kroche22" <kroche22@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > I have also been having problems with 119. Normally I was getting low
> 80's.
> > The last week it has dropped to low 60's and below and I have been
losing
> > picture and sound. I thought it was the trees, but I get low 90's on 101
> and
> > it is still low 90's. This morning I get no signal on 119. We get our
> locals
> > on 119 and we are not too happy right now. I tried to realign over the
> > weekend it did not help. I plan on checking all connection and cleaning
> them
> > today.
> >

> > "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV
> 119
> > > bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? I thought it was just my
> > system,
> > > live near Philly, pa, so I called my father-in-law, lives about an
hour
> > > north of me, and same thing for him. I thought it was a tree or
> something
> > > for me, but he has absolutely nothing in his view. I usually got mid
> 80s
> > > low 90s on the above transponders, but now am mid 60s to low 70s.
Even
> > > numbers are still ok, mid 80s. Any one else have same problem, or
> ideas?
> > >

> > > ---

June 3, 2004 12:58:52 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

On 6/2/04 10:46 AM, in article 08pk9c-q4p.ln@speaker.rodsbooks.com, "Rod
Smith" <rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com> wrote:

> In article <YlGuc.6797$bD4.902@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
> "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> writes:
>>
>> Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
>> bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29?
>
> DirecTV 7S has recently arrived at 119, and DirecTV is presumably in the
> process of doing final checkouts and moving content from DirecTV 5 (the
> old satellite) to 7S. As a result, there'll be temporary glitches like
> this for at least a couple of days as they fine-tune everything. These
> glitches may vary by area, too, particularly for spot-beam locals, as
> they get the satellite positioned and otherwise configured exactly as
> they want.
>
> Of course, any given person's problems could be local, too; but I'd hold
> off on getting service for a few days, until 7S takes over completely and
> becomes more stable. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and forums (like
> http://www.dbsforums.com) for news about what's going on.

DirecTV channel 999 has updated service launch dates for new local channel
markets. Channel 400 has info. for those in new local markets.

BTW, a few 119 channels have been moved to the 101 deg W. Long. national
beam. I'd like to see the NASA channel stay on 101, but that might be too
much to hope for.
June 3, 2004 2:04:04 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

> DirecTV channel 999 has updated service launch dates for new local channel
> markets. Channel 400 has info. for those in new local markets.

Channel 400 has no info on local markets. It's a Spanish programming info
channel. The point is it's from Sat B. If a customer needs a 2 or 3 LNB
dish, being able to get channel 400 properly indicates that the customer's
dish doesn't need to be upgraded. What they should have said is, "If your
channel 400 programming is in Spanish, your dish is okay for Sat B local
programming".

Pat
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 3:39:29 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Where do you find out which satellite your locals are coming from and which
transponders they are on? I'm in the Hartford , CT market. I have locals now
they were on the 119 satellite. are they still there?

"jack ak" <ak2jack@excite.com> wrote in message
> On 6/2/04 10:46 AM, in article 08pk9c-q4p.ln@speaker.rodsbooks.com, "Rod
> Smith" <rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com> wrote:
>
> > In article <YlGuc.6797$bD4.902@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
> > "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> writes:
> >>
> >> Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV
119
> >> bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29?
> >
> > DirecTV 7S has recently arrived at 119, and DirecTV is presumably in the
> > process of doing final checkouts and moving content from DirecTV 5 (the
> > old satellite) to 7S. As a result, there'll be temporary glitches like
> > this for at least a couple of days as they fine-tune everything. These
> > glitches may vary by area, too, particularly for spot-beam locals, as
> > they get the satellite positioned and otherwise configured exactly as
> > they want.
> >
> > Of course, any given person's problems could be local, too; but I'd hold
> > off on getting service for a few days, until 7S takes over completely
and
> > becomes more stable. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and forums (like
> > http://www.dbsforums.com) for news about what's going on.
>
> DirecTV channel 999 has updated service launch dates for new local channel
> markets. Channel 400 has info. for those in new local markets.
>
> BTW, a few 119 channels have been moved to the 101 deg W. Long. national
> beam. I'd like to see the NASA channel stay on 101, but that might be too
> much to hope for.

Anonymous
June 3, 2004 5:08:23 PM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

In article <Rytvc.4821$n65.2547@newssvr33.news.prodigy.com>,
"kroche22" <kroche22@yahoo.com> writes:

> Where do you find out which satellite your locals are coming from and which
> transponders they are on?

Check http://www.directv.com/DTVAPP/LocalChannelsAction.do

- Areas listed under "Customers in these areas can receive local channels
now with any DIRECTV® System" are on 101 and are staying there.

- Areas listed under "Residents of the following areas have access to
local channels now. A DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System is required" with a
footnote symbol that looks like a vertical line with two horizontal
lines through it are on 101 but will be moved to 119 very soon (possibly
as early as tomorrow, but perhaps as late as a few weeks from now; I
don't have a date)
- Areas listed under "Residents of the following areas have access to
local channels now. A DIRECTV Multi-Satellite System is required"
without the aforementioned footnote (but some have other footnotes, such
as double asterisks) are currently on 119 and will stay there.
- Areas listed under "COMING IN 2ND QUARTER, 2004" are not currently
carried, but are slated to be added to 119 soon (between tomorrow and a
few weeks from now).
- Areas listed under "COMING IN 2004" are not currently carried but should
be added by the end of the year to a new position, 72.5, assuming
DirecTV gets FCC approval to move the DirecTV 5 satellite to that
position.

As to the transponders, check http://richardk.digitalrice.com; however,
these mappings are out of date and lists locals according to their "high"
numbers, not the sub-100 numbers on which you probably tune them. On my
equipment (a Sony SAT-T60), I can find the transponder number by tuning to
the channel and then performing a signal test. The test begins on the
transponder on which the channel to which I was tuned resides. I don't
know if this trick will work for other receivers, though.

> I'm in the Hartford , CT market. I have locals now
> they were on the 119 satellite. are they still there?

Yes, and they'll stay there for the forseeable future, at least AFAIK.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
June 5, 2004 1:56:05 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

In article <85Yuc.58428$ZM1.14659@bignews6.bellsouth.net>, muns3331
@bellsouth.net says...

> "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> > Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
> > bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29? >
>
> Are these the transponders that carry HBO-HD and HDNet? These channels drop
> out entirely. Sometimes they are there and sometimes not. I called Directv
> about it but they told me it was a problem with my receiver and I should
> have it serviced.

I am having the same problem with only the movie channels (e.g. HBO,
SHO, etc). It is not your unit I would say.

When I check transponder signals, I get "0" for 2, 4, 8,, 23, 26)

Felix
Anonymous
June 14, 2004 11:07:25 PM

rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com (Rod Smith) wrote in message news:<08pk9c-q4p.ln@speaker.rodsbooks.com>...
> In article <YlGuc.6797$bD4.902@nwrdny02.gnilink.net>,
> "shag dawg" <shaggy78@hotmail.com> writes:
> >
> > Is anyone else not getting their usual signal strength on the DirecTV 119
> > bird, on transponders 23, 25, 27, and 29?
>
> DirecTV 7S has recently arrived at 119, and DirecTV is presumably in the
> process of doing final checkouts and moving content from DirecTV 5 (the
> old satellite) to 7S. As a result, there'll be temporary glitches like
> this for at least a couple of days as they fine-tune everything. These
> glitches may vary by area, too, particularly for spot-beam locals, as
> they get the satellite positioned and otherwise configured exactly as
> they want.
>
> Of course, any given person's problems could be local, too; but I'd hold
> off on getting service for a few days, until 7S takes over completely and
> becomes more stable. Keep an eye on the newsgroups and forums (like
> http://www.dbsforums.com) for news about what's going on.

I've been experiencing problems with the 119 satellite for Dish
Network for a number of weeks now. Signal strength on 119 dropped
into the low 50's to mid 60's and at varying times of day (a lot) will
lose lock-on to the 119 sat on both receivers in the house. The 110
satellite signal strengths remain in the 100+ range.

This problem has been going on for about four or five weeks. Dish
even sent out a new TwinLNB under the assumption the problem I was
having was a failing switch inside the Twin. Even after the swapout
and multiple re-aim attemps the problem remains. Does DTV and Dish
share satellites/transponders at 119 by any chance? This whole moving
a new Directv satellite into place at 119 and possibly distrupting
existing terrestrial hardware makes more sense than trees in the way
that weren't in the way the past five years of service.

I'm at the point of cancelling service as I'm getting a lot of grief
from family members who can't stand the problem and feel Dish is just
jerking us around. They even made me sign up for their $6.99/mo
warranty program or pay $100 for that replacement TwinLNB, which
turned out to be "remanufactured" after we got it. Any advice would
be greatly appreciated. I'm sorry if I disrupted this thread instead
of making a new one but I felt the problem I was having was too
similar to the original posters to be a coincidence.
Anonymous
June 16, 2004 2:56:14 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

In article <38d8430.0406141807.28a283e8@posting.google.com>,
littlejoeflub@yahoo.com (Joseph Phillips) writes:

> I've been experiencing problems with the 119 satellite for Dish
> Network for a number of weeks now.
> This problem has been going on for about four or five weeks.

Four weeks ago was May 18; five weeks ago was May 11. DirecTV 7S was
launched on May 4, tested at a temporary location for a while, moved to
119 on or about May 31, and went live at 119 on June 4. Thus, if you've
been having problems with Dish Network since sometime between May 11 and
May 18, it seems unlikely that the problems are related to DirecTV 7S. If
your "four or five weeks" statement is an overstatement, though, and
problems started sometime between May 31 and June 4, a linkage to DirecTV
7S would be more plausible.

> Does DTV and Dish share satellites/transponders at 119 by any chance?

No. See http://www.dbsforums.com/compare/chart.html for details on
satellite and transponder assignments. (This chart doesn't seem to have
been updated for 7S yet, though. That would only change the name of the
DirecTV satellite; the transponder frequencie assignments remain
unchanged.) DirecTV and Dish Network could not easily share transponder
frequencies from a single location; they'd interfere with each other, at
least if they were CONUS. (In theory, they might be able to share spot
frequencies if their spot beams were aimed differently, but they aren't
currently doing this and I know of no plans to do so.)

That said, it's at least theoretically possible that a malfunction of one
company's satellite could be interfering with transponder frequencies
assigned to the other company. If that were the case, though, I'd expect
all Dish Network subscribers to be having problems. This would probably be
a national problem, unless perhaps it were a spot-beam issue, in which
case everybody near you would be having problems. You might try going to a
friend, neighbor, or Dish Network dealer to see whether they're having
problems. If not, the problem is in your equipment or installation.

> This whole moving
> a new Directv satellite into place at 119 and possibly distrupting
> existing terrestrial hardware makes more sense than trees in the way
> that weren't in the way the past five years of service.

I don't think so. Trees can grow, so if you're shooting over trees, it's
possible that they've grown into the line of sight from your dish to the
119 position. Other possibilities that jump to mind include corroded
cables, a bad multiswitch, and a receiver that's going out.

> I'm at the point of cancelling service as I'm getting a lot of grief
> from family members who can't stand the problem and feel Dish is just
> jerking us around. They even made me sign up for their $6.99/mo
> warranty program or pay $100 for that replacement TwinLNB, which
> turned out to be "remanufactured" after we got it.

Did they send somebody to do the work, or just send you an LNB? If the
former and they didn't fix it, you're certainly justified in feeling
"jerked around," as you put it; the technician should have located the
source of the problem and corrected it, rather than blindly replacing
equipment and leaving even when the problem wasn't fixed. If they just
sent you the LNB, though, you might need to bite the bullet and have
somebody come out to look at the situation and fix the problem.

--
Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
http://www.rodsbooks.com
June 16, 2004 11:37:38 PM

rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com (Rod Smith) wrote in message news:<edb4q1-0r.ln1@speaker.rodsbooks.com>...
> [...]
> cables, a bad multiswitch, and a receiver that's going out.
>
> > I'm at the point of cancelling service as I'm getting a lot of grief
> > from family members who can't stand the problem and feel Dish is just
> > jerking us around. They even made me sign up for their $6.99/mo
> > warranty program or pay $100 for that replacement TwinLNB, which
> > turned out to be "remanufactured" after we got it.
>
> Did they send somebody to do the work, or just send you an LNB? If the
> former and they didn't fix it, you're certainly justified in feeling
> "jerked around," as you put it; the technician should have located the
> source of the problem and corrected it, rather than blindly replacing
> equipment and leaving even when the problem wasn't fixed. If they just
> sent you the LNB, though, you might need to bite the bullet and have
> somebody come out to look at the situation and fix the problem.

I did the replacement myself. After having Directv or Dish for eight
years now it was no trouble at all. A Dish TwinLNBF has the
multiswitch for 119/110 built in so it's a pretty easy swapout.

I feel jerked around because every phone call I've made to Dish since
the problem started hasn't gotten me anywhere because the only
solution they can give me, especially now that they know it's not a
faulty switch in the TwinLNBF, is to keep re-aiming your dish. I
don't think the problem is in the wiring because the problem is the
same on two different receivers, a 4900 and a 2800. 110 stays locked
on with signal strengths in the 100+ on all it's transponders but 119,
with signal strength in the low 50's, will either lock-on or refuse to
lock-on to 119. It varies day to day and at different times so it's
hard to say if it's a man-made ocurrence causing the problem because
there's no pattern to the singal loss.

I think I'm going to call Dish and see about having a serviceman come
out and check out the situation. I hope that $6.99/mo service plan I
signed up for will at least get me a service call at a decent price.
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 7:42:17 AM

"Joseph Phillips" <littlejoeflub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> the problem started hasn't gotten me anywhere because the only
> solution they can give me, especially now that they know it's not a
> faulty switch in the TwinLNBF, is to keep re-aiming your dish. I
> don't think the problem is in the wiring because the problem is the
> same on two different receivers, a 4900 and a 2800. 110 stays locked
> on with signal strengths in the 100+ on all it's transponders but 119,
> with signal strength in the low 50's, will either lock-on or refuse to
> lock-on to 119. It varies day to day and at different times so it's
> hard to say if it's a man-made ocurrence causing the problem because
> there's no pattern to the singal loss.
>
> I think I'm going to call Dish and see about having a serviceman come
> out and check out the situation. I hope that $6.99/mo service plan I
> signed up for will at least get me a service call at a decent price.

If your cable or fitting are really eight years old, that would be my first
thought.
You can't really "peak" a dish without a decent meter or spectrum analyser.
DishPro signals are
stacked-so possibly your losing higher frequencies in the cable or
connectors.
just my 2c.
DM
Anonymous
June 18, 2004 3:25:12 PM

"D Mull" <mulldr111@nospamershotmail.com> wrote in message news:<twtAc.54235$tH1.2461967@twister.southeast.rr.com>...
> [...]
> > on with signal strengths in the 100+ on all it's transponders but 119,
> > with signal strength in the low 50's, will either lock-on or refuse to
> > lock-on to 119. It varies day to day and at different times so it's
> > hard to say if it's a man-made ocurrence causing the problem because
> > there's no pattern to the singal loss.
> >
> > I think I'm going to call Dish and see about having a serviceman come
> > out and check out the situation. I hope that $6.99/mo service plan I
> > signed up for will at least get me a service call at a decent price.
>

> If your cable or fitting are really eight years old, that would be my first
> thought.
> You can't really "peak" a dish without a decent meter or spectrum analyser.
> DishPro signals are
> stacked-so possibly your losing higher frequencies in the cable or

We changed over from Directv to Dish Network in January or February of
2000. Before that time the two DTV receivers were in the living room
and up in my bedroom. After changing to Dish we just left the wire
running up to the bedroom in place (in case we wanted to put a third
receiver back up there) and opted to run new cable from the grounding
block to the kitchen, where we decided the second receiver would now
go. Both wires going from the dish itself to the grounding block
where also replaced when we put up the new dish and support arm. I
don't know if we left the existing cable run going from the grounding
block to the living room intact or if we replaced that as well. I'll
have to confer with my father and get back to you on that.

I'm not really sure what you mean by DishPro signals? If by DishPro
you mean their newer hardware then I have to say everything we have
from the Dish500 TwinLNB feedhorn to the 4900 and 2800 receivers are
all non-DishPro legacy equipment. What is stacked signals?
Anonymous
June 25, 2004 7:38:33 AM

> "D Mull" <mulldr111@nospamershotmail.com> wrote in message
> > "Joseph Phillips" <littlejoeflub@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > > rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com (Rod Smith) wrote in message

> > If
> > DirecTV

> > one
> > be

> > > I did the replacement myself. After having Directv or Dish for eight
> > > years now it was no trouble at all. A Dish TwinLNBF has the
> > > multiswitch for 119/110 built in so it's a pretty easy swapout.
> > >
> > > I feel jerked around because every phone call I've made to Dish since
> > > the problem started hasn't gotten me anywhere because the only
> > > solution they can give me, especially now that they know it's not a
> > > faulty switch in the TwinLNBF, is to keep re-aiming your dish. I
> > > don't think the problem is in the wiring because the problem is the
> > > same on two different receivers, a 4900 and a 2800. 110 stays locked
> > > on with signal strengths in the 100+ on all it's transponders but 119,
> > > with signal strength in the low 50's, will either lock-on or refuse to
> > > lock-on to 119. It varies day to day and at different times so it's
> > > hard to say if it's a man-made ocurrence causing the problem because
> > > there's no pattern to the singal loss.
> > >
> > > I think I'm going to call Dish and see about having a serviceman come
> > > out and check out the situation. I hope that $6.99/mo service plan I
> > > signed up for will at least get me a service call at a decent price.
> >

> > If your cable or fitting are really eight years old, that would be my
first
> > thought.
> > You can't really "peak" a dish without a decent meter or spectrum
analyser.
> > DishPro signals are
> > stacked-so possibly your losing higher frequencies in the cable or
> > connectors.
> > just my 2c.
> > DM
>
> We changed over from Directv to Dish Network in January or February of
> 2000. Before that time the two DTV receivers were in the living room
> and up in my bedroom. After changing to Dish we just left the wire
> running up to the bedroom in place (in case we wanted to put a third
> receiver back up there) and opted to run new cable from the grounding
> block to the kitchen, where we decided the second receiver would now
> go. Both wires going from the dish itself to the grounding block
> where also replaced when we put up the new dish and support arm. I
> don't know if we left the existing cable run going from the grounding
> block to the living room intact or if we replaced that as well. I'll
> have to confer with my father and get back to you on that.
>
> I'm not really sure what you mean by DishPro signals? If by DishPro
> you mean their newer hardware then I have to say everything we have
> from the Dish500 TwinLNB feedhorn to the 4900 and 2800 receivers are
> all non-DishPro legacy equipment. What is stacked signals?

The Stacked signal is one feed at 950-1450 MHz and the other at 1450-1950.
these can be different polarities (to avoid voltage switching), or different
lnb feeds for multi-sat applications. Check your cable, it should be SC
solid copper, and swept tested to 2.2 Ghz.
DM
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:39:24 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

Hmm. Interesting reading.

I placed another 2 threads on interruption in many (but not all) DirecTV
channels.

What's odd is that some channels are very strong and some are not.

I blame, possibly, a tree branch for the interruption (and as soon as I figure
out how to remove a branch 25-30' in the air I'll test it), but that doesn't
explain why some channels are so clear and some transponders so strong while
others are weak and failing.

Please read my comments in those new threads and let me know your thoughts. You
obviously are knowledgable in this field.

Rod Smith <rodsmith@nessus.rodsbooks.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > jerking us around. They even made me sign up for their $6.99/mo
> > warranty program or pay $100 for that replacement TwinLNB, which
> > turned out to be "remanufactured" after we got it.
>
> Did they send somebody to do the work, or just send you an LNB? If the
> former and they didn't fix it, you're certainly justified in feeling
> "jerked around," as you put it; the technician should have located the
> source of the problem and corrected it, rather than blindly replacing
> equipment and leaving even when the problem wasn't fixed. If they just
> sent you the LNB, though, you might need to bite the bullet and have
> somebody come out to look at the situation and fix the problem.
>
> --
> Rod Smith, rodsmith@rodsbooks.com
> http://www.rodsbooks.com
> Author of books on Linux, FreeBSD, and networking
Anonymous
July 15, 2004 12:41:06 AM

Archived from groups: rec.video.satellite.dbs,alt.satellite.tv (More info?)

OH - and the most interesting fact....

While I've been experiencing a lot of weather related interference at times,
this blackout of most of my DirecTV channels even in decent weather occurred,
interestingly enough... between May 24 and June 6
!