Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009
my PC specs are :

AMD 64 X2 5600+
motherboard gigabyte : GA- M61SME-S2
2GB DDR2 800 transcend
450 watt PSU
I cool case with 2 intake and 1 outlet case fans

the problem is that I am unable to install a fresh windows XP becouse my processor beeps continuously due to overheating above 90 degrees and shuts down
it happens every time I try to re install
However the idle temperature rarely exceed 35 degrees and it reaches 50-52 during playing games like crysis,COD4 etc
I am using the original cooler and thermal paste that comes within the package and I was able to install XP,vista and linux and even windows 7 trial earlier without any problem of overheating. this time I am clueless.

One more problem I found is, when I run Xp in safe mode it behaves similarly and shuts down due to overheating.overheating doesn't happen in safe mode of windows 7 but it happens in safe mode of XP, this is really a strange problem.

Kari

Splendid
put some load on it with prime95, and if it overheats reseat the heatsink and make sure the fan on it is spinning...

new paste might be in order, or just make sure to mix the old stuff really well before applying it on to the cpu, the different ingredients in the paste tend to separate if stored a long time

sachinhere

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

Temperatures:
Motherboard 40 °C (104 °F)
CPU 32 °C (90 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #1 14 °C (57 °F)
CPU #1 / Core #2 21 °C (70 °F)
MCP 50 °C (122 °F)
Aux 41 °C (106 °F)
GPU Diode 52 °C (126 °F)
Seagate ST3120022A 37 °C (99 °F)

Cooling Fans:
CPU 1735 RPM

Voltage Values:
CPU Core 1.10 V
+3.3 V 3.38 V
+5 V 5.67 V
+12 V 11.97 V
+5 V Standby 5.67 V
VBAT Battery 3.02 V
DIMM 1.87 V

pat mcgroin

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2007
Looking at the large difference in temps between the 2 cores I would suggest
pulling the cpu cooler and reapplying the paste.
Its sometimes tricky to get a very thin but even layer between the cpu and the cooler.
If you get too much or a lump between the 2 you wont get good contact.
Too little and you get no contact.
Usually a large grain of rice is the amount you are looking for.
Also if the paste is old it will get thicker and not spread out as well.

This probably isnt related but I would also use 2 exhaust fans and one intake.
Putting too much air in without enough exhaust just swirls the warm air around.
With 2 exhaust fans air can still get in through the openings in the case to make up the difference.

sachinhere

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

These are the actual temperatures at idle

after running prime 95 torture test for about 1 minute the temperature raised to 85 degrees with continuous beeps then I stopped the test to avoid self shutdown.

Kraizk

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
A friend of mine had a similar problem, the issue was actually using too much paste. I got it working for him by using less paste and not spreading it. make sure to use only a pea sized portion and let the CPU heat sink spread it for you when you place it on. Using too much seems like a weird reason for it to over heat but give it a shot. sorry if this does not help. also just in case you were not sure, make sure to gently twist the heat sink to remove it, pulling up can end very badly for all the pins...

G

hello, people... it's my first post here, and i'm sorry for not giving a solutions but i seriously doubt that it's the cooling system problem. similar problem occured to me yesterday.

similar PC configuration, too. cpu also AMD, and motherboard Gigabyte as well. when i run WinXP Live! temperature is around 40 °C, but when starts installation of windows xp with sp3 (i haven't tried installation of earlier versions) i mean that part whit a screen in color not the blue one... it's the matter of seconds the temperature will go wild and jump sky high.

so... when i find solution... i'll tell

regards