jmorr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
After reading through this forum, I see that this question gets asked quite often, so hope you won't mind again.

I built one computer previously, as in physically put the pieces together, but I had a lot of help picking out the parts. This is the first time I've tried to pick out everything myself. Any advice on anything I'm missing or won't fit together would be appreciated.

Primarily, I will use it for email, connecting to work, and internet browsing. My boyfriend would probably like to play games on it (if necessary, I can get more information on what types of games he uses). Also, with a new HD TV for Christmas, I've been looking into options of wirelessing streaming online shows from the computer to the tv, but that idea is very new to me. I'm not quite sure how to do that yet, but want to keep the idea open for the future. I plan on running Vista Business 32-bit.

Here it is:

LIAN LI Black Aluminum PC-C37B Micro ATX Media Center / HTPC Case

MSI K9A2GM-FIH AM2+/AM2 AMD 780G HDMI Micro ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail

AMD Athlon 64 X2 5000+ Brisbane 2.6GHz Socket AM2 65W Dual-Core Processor Model ADO5000DOBOX - Retail

Kingston HyperX 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model KHX8500AD2BK2/4GR - Retail

Western Digital Caviar Black WD5001AALS 500GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s Hard Drive - OEM

ASUS 20X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model DRW-20B1LT - Retail

The on-board video is a ATI Radeon HD 3200. I was going to try that first and upgrade if necessary.

I haven't found a power supply yet. For some reason, this last detail has become too confusing for me, so I've decided to take look at later. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

flyin15sec

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2008
A quality 430W - 500W will work with that setup. However since you're not sure if you will get video card later, or even which video card, you may want to budget a higher rated PSU in now.

Look for a PSU that has at least 2 x 6pin PCIe (even better if it's 1x6pin and 1x 6+2 pin) connectors.

jmorr

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
I read somewhere that the brand name of the PSU can really make a difference. Any recommendations on quality names I should be looking at?