Sign in with
Your question

Q6600 DDR3 Motherboard

Last response: in Components
March 29, 2009 5:06:25 PM

Hey guys, Im a bit of a noob on hardware stuff so take it easy on me :) , I have recently upgraded my PSU and graphics card. I was wanting to go ahead and get to a 64 bit OS from XP and get a new motherboard that supports PCIe 2.0 and DDR3 memory, Im am currently running my 9800 GTX+ 1GB on an older Asus P5NE SLI that only supports PCIe 1.1. Im wanting to stay with my Q6600 for now b/c of my budget, but Im wanting to get one that supports the newer ddr3 memory, so I know it needs to be a LGA 775 socket, p45 board, but after that my knowledge base runs out,lol, so any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!, just to clarify anything I may have left out here are my current system specs:
Asus P5Ne-SLI (that I want rid of :) )
Intel q6600 core quad@3.0ghz
Rocketfish 700w PSU
320 GB HDD
APEVIA X-Cruiser Metal Case w/ Side Window-Black

More about : q6600 ddr3 motherboard

March 29, 2009 6:18:51 PM

There is no real benefit from DDR3 or PCIe 2.0 so Your money would be wasted. Save Your money for later.
a c 156 V Motherboard
March 29, 2009 7:05:25 PM

I don't think there is much to gain from using DDR3 memory with anything less than i7. If you want more performance, get a decent HSF and overclock your CPU to 3.3 to 3.6 GHz.
Related resources
March 30, 2009 12:08:13 AM

Ok, well thats good news :) , would it be noticable to at least go from Win Xp 32 bit to Vista 64 bit where more than 3gb of RAM is recognized, since my mobo is capable of 8gb? oh, and thanks a ton for the advice thus far
March 31, 2009 2:42:35 PM

Ugh, well everything was going good with this rig, I had settled on using the AI OC feature in the P5NE's BIOS, I had set it at a 15% overclock (roughly 2.76ghz), it ran smooth for the last few days and then this morning, the good ol' BSOD reared its ugly head right after the BIOS screen, I was able to catch it the second time around and get into the settings and restored the defaults, then it booted fine, so now Im wondering if maybe somethings up with my RAM.
March 31, 2009 6:34:06 PM

Did you change your fan for a non standard one and if not then your cpu could be overheating.
April 1, 2009 5:47:58 AM

No I havent, Im running a stock Intel fan/heatsink, Im looking for one I can slap on this board with little or no trouble as we speak.
April 1, 2009 6:20:46 AM

oops! I double posted
April 1, 2009 5:46:16 PM

tell you what when you do get rid of it send it to me i could use a spare motherboard allandnn@yahoo.com
April 2, 2009 3:17:03 AM

Just replacing the stock HSF at the moment,not the mobo
April 2, 2009 3:25:56 AM

that is a good heatsink.. i doubt ur cpu is overheating though from such a small overclock.. 2400mhz to 2670mhz really is nothing.. unless u do not know how to properly attach the stock intel heatsinks which most people do not know how to attach, you see rocket high temps.. if u know how to properly attach the intel heatsinks which i d say only 10% of people do know how to do, your temps wont be so bad... and yah upgrading to ddr3 ram and a pci 2.0 board would prob be a waste.. what ram do you have know? what speed is it.. why dont u manualy overclock ur cpu instead of using that gay auto clock setting.. just my 2 cents.
April 2, 2009 1:53:48 PM

I am running Kingston brand DDR2 800 (PC6400) (3GB atm) at the moment, but I have 8GB of Mushkin of the same speed w/heat spreaders for when I upgrade to a 64 bit OS. On the subject of the stock heatsink,it very well may not be installed correctly, Cyberpower put it on,not me, hopefully Ill get this one right, I ordered some Artic 5 thermal compound along with the HSF. I noticed my CPU in the past has run around 50-51 degrees Celcius @ factory settings, Im hoping this new HSF lowers that a bit.
!