Is there a unofficial SLI drivers for my AMD AM3 Gigabyte board?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128377
my motherboard, as you can see, can do CrossfireX, but not SLI...

i'm like, why the hell not? I got an GTX 260 core 216 now, but i wish i can SLI later...

Is there any way in hell you can somehow make this motherboard accept two Geforce cards in SLI? I hate these "You can only CrossFire or SLI, not both!" crap.

I know you can do both on the X58 boards, but you know what, my budget ultimately wins out and went with this. It's excellent, by any means, but...
maybe i've shoulda gone with ATI 4870s...

But i wanted the GTX 260 core 216, got it for $189 refurb back in March, which was one hell of a deal back then! The benchmarks showed that card to be overall that bit better than the HD 4870 at a bunch of games, notably Crysis... but, whatever...

And it had that fancy PhysX thing to boot! man it looks so awesome, i had to go with the Geforce card! :pt1cable:

But anyway, that's my rant.

And, what i want is, is there a way to convince my reluctant mobo to take in a second Geforce card in SLI? I know it can take in two Geforce cards in the "one for graphics, one for physics" arrangement, but not SLI. Anyone know how?

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
I know that... I'm specifully asking for a workaround or some custom drivers or whatever, since it clearly has 2 PCIx16 slots...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

I don't know if the guy above was trying to be short with you or simply buying nVidia's hype, but your board IS SLI COMPATIBLE. But SLI isn't compatible with your board! It's NVIDIA all the way, they put a program IN THEIR GRAPHICS DRIVER that reads your CHIPSET and says "OH, he didn't pay extortion!" and then says "NO SLI FOR YOU!".

Really, SLI originally worked with all PCIe chipsets...but NVIDIA knew it couldn't compete with Intel chipsets so it reworked its drivers. That's how NVIDIA sold 680i, 650i, 780i, 750i, and 790i chipsets to people who knew how bad they could be.

Originally there WAS a workaround, but nVidia patched it. Then the locked their drivers up so tight that noone since has been able to crack them. It's been years. So unless you can use graphics drivers that are several years old, you can't do a thing about it.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
What, that sucks donkey balls!
why the hell, people would buy more nivida cards or ATI cards or whatever if SLI/Crossfire is universal across all boards, but noooooo...

And what's the point now with the X58 boards doing both Crossfire/SLi anyway? can't Nvidia unlock the drivers now anyway? they make a crapload of money off their GPUs and such, come on...

IS there still any way possible?

just how bad are the nvidia chipsets compared to intel or AMD/ATI chipsets?

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Nvidia just decided you should have to have an Nvidia board in order to do SLI, but they got caught up in some legal stuff for X58, that's why Nvidia (relucatantly) allows SLI on X58.

Chronobodi

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2009
right... WHY NOT for any boards with 2 PCIx16 slots? why not?

Do the same legal crap and make Nvidia unlock the SLI for my board and for every damn capable board! ARRRRGGGHHHH *heads asplodes*

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff

Intel wouldn't give NVIDIA a license for the new CPU interface, so NVIDIA had to come up with a new plan: A BIOS tag for SLI, to make the driver allow certain X58 motherboards to be used. That's why some manufacturers at first made two versions of some X58 boards using identical hardware, an SLI-tagged version and a less-expensive non-tagged version.

So, with the 180.x and newer drivers you could possibly do a BIOS hack to add the tag...I'm not sure if the driver looks for the X58 chipset and the tag or just the tag alone.

It used to be about selling chipsets. Now it's about making money about licensing the tags to non-nVidia chipsets.

kg4icg

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2006
You do know that unlike crossfire, that SLI does need a hardware to enable it, and since Nvidia is the creator of SLI they have the power to enable it how they wish.

pops_22

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2009

thanks for the insight on the sli gig.i wasnt being short.send the kid a waambulance. :sol:

TRENDING THREADS