Can't install OS - DVD not showing up

rareskills

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
Ok, I am trying to install Windows 7 64-bit R.C. on a new HD (HD #2). I currently have Vista 32-bit on HD #1.

MSI P7N SLI Platinum MB

I recently had Windows 7 32-bit on HD#2, but decided to reformat and try 64-bit -- note I couldn't boot off DVD this time either, I had to autoplay the imaged DVD in windows vista and install from there.

When I go into the bios, under the hardware list it shows SATA1-HD#1, SATA2-HD#2, SATA4-DVD, but when I go to the boot sequence section of the bios, it shows 5 Generic USBs, HD#1, HD#2, and my 2 external drives. NO DVD?? If I just let it boot, it doesn't pick up the DVD. I can't autoplay the DVD in windows vista b/c its only 32-bit and can't install the 64-bit that way.

The DVD works fine, as that is how I burned the images to the DVDs in the first place, as how i was able to install windows 7 32-bit from the vista OS.

any ideas?

rareskills

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
When I explore the image cd:
- 5 folders: boot, efi, sources, support, upgrade
- 1 setup file - autorun.inf
- 1 file - bootmgr
- 1 EFI file - bootmgr.efi
- 1 application - setup.exe

rareskills

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I put in my Windows Vista DVD and restarted, went into BIOS and the drive still didn't show up as an option under boot sequence. Rebooted again, didn't prompt me into any Windows Vista setup. I am going to reformat my HD#2 and unplug HD#1 and reboot w/ Windows 7 64-bit image in -- maybe it will pick up image? ::crosses fingers::

rareskills

Distinguished
May 16, 2009
I finally got it to work -- unplugged IDE CD player and HD#1, moved SATA DVD player from SATA#4 to SATA#2 (sata port HD#1 was on initially) and moved HD#1 to SATA4 (not sure if this did anything). Rebooted, set boot sequence to DVD player first which it now recognized as an option...booted into Windows 7 64-bit setup. After install i plugged HD#1 and IDE CD player back in and all is well; dual boot Vista 32-bit and Windows 7 64-bit .... now all i have to do is install 4 more gigs of RAM :)