NEW G-CARD ... HELP

Milos-stancene

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
Hi !!!

I have recently step up from 17 to 24 SAMSUNG 1920-1200 ... and my old 7900 GTX dies at that rez.... my sistem :

E6600 2.4Ghz (3,1)

2x1 Gigs 800Mhz CL5

7900GTX 512Mb

Raptor

ENERMAX 500 WATT !

I wanna change my card but I dont have enough money for PSU too,just GPU!!!

WHAT CARD CAN YOU SUGGEST ME.

THANK YOU ALL

Milos ...

Which 500W psu is it? What do you have on the 12V rails?

Honestly you have alot of options. You could go with a 4850, 9800GTX+, maybe even a 4870. You don't really have a power hungry system. You could get away with alot of that PSU has 32A+ or so on the 12V rails

I would say Yes to the GTX 260. But I would stay away from the GTX280. They have a 6 pin and 8 pin connector as it pulls more power. I believe you can get a 6 pin to 8 pin adapter, but I would play it safe.

The GTX 260 requirements are a 500W with 36A on the 12V rails.

From Diamonds site about their HD4870 512

"Minimum System Requirements

* PCI Express® based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
* 500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express® power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX™ technology in dual mode)”
* Certified power supplies are recommended.
* 1GB of system memory
* Installation software requires CD-ROM drive
* DVD playback requires DVD drive
* Blu-ray™ / HD DVD playback requires Blu-ray / HD DVD drive
* For a complete ATI CrossFireX™ system, a second ATI Radeon™ HD 4870 graphics card, an ATI CrossFireX Ready motherboard and one ATI CrossFireX Bridge Interconnect cable per board (included) are required
* Double slot solution"

From EVGAs site about their GTX260/216

"Minimum System Requirements

* 1GB of system memory (2GB recommended)
* CD or DVD-ROM drive
* 100MB of available hard disk drive space for basic driver installation
* Microsoft Windows Vista. or XP operating system (Windows Vista. required for 3-Way NVIDIA SLI)
* PCI Express or PCI Express 2.0-compliant system motherboard with one vacant PCI Express x16 slot
* One vacant add-in card slot below the PCI Express x16 slot. This graphics card physically occupies two slots
* 500W PCI Express-compliant system power supply with a combined 12V current rating of 36A or more
* Two 6-pin PCI Express supplementary power connectors"

Like the others, I`d go for either the GTX260 or HD4870 1Gb NOT the 512Mb version.
It`s more a matter of what is around in your particular country, and at what price because neither card is that much better/worse than the other.